Search similar:

uniqs

matt314159
Premium Member
join:2006-01-18
Orange City, IA

matt314159

Premium Member

Does this change on my Cable Modem's signal page mean anything?

Click for full size
BEFORE
Click for full size
AFTER
Hey All! The pics above say it all, I guess. I recently noticed a change on the status page of my Arris DG860 modem. Up until last week, the upstream section only listed one channel, and gave the signal stats for it. Now, the U.S. section actually lists FOUR channel frequencies on the return, although right now only one of them is being used.

Does that mean that those new channels are live on the CMTS, even if my modem isn't actively using them all?

I really, really want to get excited about this. Could this be an indication that my provider (longlines, a small regional provider) may be gearing up for upstream channel bonding?

andrewc2
join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA

1 recommendation

andrewc2

It looks like the frequencies have been assigned but aren't currently bonding, I'd try rebooting the modem and see what happens, especially at 95 days uptime.

matt314159
Premium Member
Orange City, IA

matt314159

Premium Member

Yep I rebooted and nothing. According to the plant manager the bonding is live, but I checked a few modems in town (I do IT support so have people I can connect with) and they all look like this, with frequencies assigned but no signal or modulation information. The US light on my modem is green which does indicate bonding.

andrewc2
join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA

1 recommendation

andrewc2

Sounds like something isn't working properly on the channel bonding side. It usually only does that when it's the upstream has exceeded the spec 51+ DBMV and yours clearly hasn't.

matt314159
Premium Member
Orange City, IA

matt314159

Premium Member

Yeah, my signals aren't great, what you saw in the screenshots were with a 6db attenuator on the line. I took it off and dropped the return signal to around 40dbmv and it did the exact same thing, so I'll just chalk it up to the idea that they're still working on getting it going.

It's a small regional ISP, so I'm just glad we're not stuck in the stone ages with the technology they're using. Next step would be to change from 16qam to 64 on the return, but I don't know if their plant is clean enough for that. One step at a time I guess.