Search similar:

uniqs
LiVE4594
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03

LiVE4594

Premium Member

Fiber on the pole

I've been seeing fiber trucks installing fiber on poles now. Is that an acceptable method for most installations now? I want to start building out a small fiber network to neighborhoods in my microsmall town where I have a wireless network already. Ive asked and people in the area will pay $100 for 500mb service. I know there is much more to it than this, but I've got to start somewhere.

Thanks!

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

There are pros and cons of aerial vs underground construction.

Aerial is much cheaper, but you are going to have to contract with whomever owns the poles to add your cable. Makeready may involve replacing existing poles with taller ones to provide enough room. Given that you are a competitor to the incumbents expect a lot of stonewalling.

/tom
Chele
join:2003-07-23

Chele to LiVE4594

to LiVE4594
We are in the process of quoting a customer provided outdoor fiber (1/2" dia 24 strand) and it's rated to be pole mounted up to 300' between poles.
LiVE4594
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03

LiVE4594

Premium Member

Where did they buy it? I've been looking for a good place to get it. I was thinking we'd start small around our office and build out from there. The poles are not going to be an issue according the mayor.

Killa200
Premium Member
join:2005-12-02
TN

Killa200

Premium Member

If your getting at least $2500 worth at a time, talk to Commscope directly. They can either supply or get you in touch a with a vendor that can ship it to you. Usually if they won't provide it directly, Commscope will via TVC: »tvccommunications.com/

LightSpan
Premium Member
join:2004-02-18
Lexington, KY

LightSpan to LiVE4594

Premium Member

to LiVE4594
who owns the poles ? if its the city mayor can say ok. if not good luck.

Edrick
I aspire to tell the story of a lifetime
Premium Member
join:2004-09-11
San Diego, CA

Edrick to LiVE4594

Premium Member

to LiVE4594
Have you actually figured out if you can even provide this service at $100 a month for 500mbit? How many users are on your wireless network? Are you going to charge them for an install / build out cost?