uniqs

RobThompson
Caution - VoIP Challenged Alert
Premium Member
join:2012-02-14
J8G 0C9

RobThompson

Premium Member

Does anyone know of a free, or near free, equivalent to DynDNS?

I would like to have a quasi static ip address and DynDNS would work but would cost $30 per year.
Is there a less expensive alternative that works well?
Thanks,
iamhere
join:2013-01-26
canada

iamhere

I use duckdns.org and the price is as right can be.

mugurd
join:2001-05-24
Ottawa, ON
·Bell Fibe Internet
·Fido
(Software) pfSense
Netgear RAX50
Netgear R7000

2 recommendations

mugurd to RobThompson

to RobThompson
»freedns.afraid.org/

Been using them without any issues since DynDNS got greedy and screwed us over. You pick your domain from a bunch of colorful names...I got one mooo.com addy

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf to RobThompson

MVM

to RobThompson
I use the free service available from »www.noip.com/.

RobThompson
Caution - VoIP Challenged Alert
Premium Member
join:2012-02-14
J8G 0C9

RobThompson to mugurd

Premium Member

to mugurd
Hi mugurd:
To do what I want to do, which option do I use at the freedns.afraid.org?
Thanks.

brg
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL

brg to RobThompson

Premium Member

to RobThompson
+1 on noip.com.

I've used them for years with only one glitch (within the past year there was an issue where some of their domains got blocked at a very high level). I have friends running PBX boxes who have used them seemingly forever...

geek
Mad Scientist at Work
Premium Member
join:2002-01-07
Southbury, CT

geek to RobThompson

Premium Member

to RobThompson
»www.dynu.com/

Been using them for a year and have had no issues.

mugurd
join:2001-05-24
Ottawa, ON
·Bell Fibe Internet
·Fido
(Software) pfSense
Netgear RAX50
Netgear R7000

mugurd to RobThompson

to RobThompson
said by RobThompson:

which option do I use at the freedns.afraid.org?

Go to »freedns.afraid.org/subdo ··· edit.php and add rob@chickenkiller.com
I admit I did't touch this in a year - i grabbed 3 subdomains (@homenet.org, @privatedns.org and for fun @mooo.com) and set up my Tomato router DynDNS client for those...
That's about it....I don't even think there is an expiry time for no updated host names, but the default 30 days in Tomato should take care of that too.

cybersaga
join:2011-12-19
Selby, ON

1 recommendation

cybersaga to RobThompson

to RobThompson
If you have your own domain name, you can use »dns.he.net

crazyk4952
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
united state
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Polycom VVX300

1 recommendation

crazyk4952 to graysonf

Premium Member

to graysonf
said by graysonf:

I use the free service available from »www.noip.com/.

I have been using this service for the last few months and I have no complaints.

Also, if you have your own domain name, namecheap includes dynamic dns service if you register your domain with them.
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

+1 for Namecheap. I've been using them for years and found them quite reliable.

bitseeker
join:2014-03-05

bitseeker

I'm using Namecheap too. Lots of good functionality including an API.

cybersaga
join:2011-12-19
Selby, ON

cybersaga to crazyk4952

to crazyk4952
said by crazyk4952:

namecheap includes dynamic dns service

Actually, I've been using them for the past few years. I was using their Windows client to update, but now that you mentioned it, I went and looked up on how to set it up on my router and did that

toro
join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON

toro to RobThompson

to RobThompson
www.dlinkddns.com
It's a D-Link branded service hosted by DynDNS. You need a serial number and MAC address from a D-Link router in order to sign up but after that you can use it on any other router brand.
Fully compatible with routers that support only DynDNS.
guglea
join:2014-11-17

guglea to RobThompson

to RobThompson
You could try this one dtdns.com , there're a lot of domains you could pick from. So you get 5 Hostnames for free....some devices like Routers or VOIP adapters have the embedded code for supporting dtdns.com..
--Andrei--
DaveSin
join:2009-07-17

DaveSin to RobThompson

to RobThompson
I use chickenkiller.com (under freedns.afraid.org). It is updated on my DDWRT Router.
said by RobThompson:

Hi mugurd:
To do what I want to do, which option do I use at the freedns.afraid.org?
Thanks.

bitseeker

1 recommendation

bitseeker

said by DaveSin:

I use chickenkiller.com

ima.chickenkiller.com?

arpawocky
Premium Member
join:2014-04-13
Columbus, OH

1 recommendation

arpawocky to RobThompson

Premium Member

to RobThompson
said by RobThompson:

I would like to have a quasi static ip address and DynDNS would work but would cost $30 per year.
Is there a less expensive alternative that works well?

There are even free alternatives that work better... namely:
said by cybersaga:

If you have your own domain name, you can use »dns.he.net

Use he.net for your DNS, they are free and support dynamic DNS.

What's more - you can have SRV and NAPTR records as well as MX etc.

So, you could have an A record pointing to your ATA or IP Phone's IP address, and an SRV record pointing to its SIP port if you're using something other than 5060.

If you do NOT have your own domain already:

You could buy one, from any number of registrars (including, ironically enough, DynDNS) for far less than $30 / year, and then use it with the solution suggested above.

Or, you could get free domain under .tk .ga or a few other ccTLDs (but they require you have a website up of some sort or else they will cancel your domain - even if youre using it for SIP) and use he.net for the nameservers.

Or, you could get a free subdomain and delegate it to he.net's nameservers. IF you go this route, I'd recommend eu.org.
mdseuss
join:2012-05-27
Worcester, MA

mdseuss to RobThompson

to RobThompson
A second plug for »freedns.afraid.org/

I most especially like their web url with token. I liked them so much I sent them money!
david3
join:2000-03-21

david3 to RobThompson

to RobThompson
I tried the freedns.afraid.org service, but the TTL for the free account was 60 minutes, which is too long for me.

I'm using the noip.com free service (60 second TTL). It works fine, but the downside is you have to login to your account or have an IP change every 30 days. Just updating with a DDNS client every 30 days isn't enough, if the IP stays the same.
OzarkEdge
join:2014-02-23
USA

OzarkEdge to toro

to toro
said by toro:

www.dlinkddns.com
It's a D-Link branded service hosted by DynDNS. You need a serial number and MAC address from a D-Link router in order to sign up but after that you can use it on any other router brand.

The ASUS Gigabit Router RT-N66U firmware will let you setup/register whatever.asuscomm.com to access the router's VPN and FTP WAN facilities. I guess some routers support this. I've wondered how wise/secure it is to use it.

OE
79176722 (banned)
VoIP.ms, Magento, and lotsa open tabs
join:2015-02-19
Miami, FL

1 recommendation

79176722 (banned)

Thanks guys for the Namecheap tip. I've been looking for a real good reason to transfer my domains out of GoDaddy to Namecheap (after the nice below-cost first year $0.99 promo at GoDaddy) and you've just given it to me!

Overall, GoDaddy probably has overcharged me a few dozen bucks in the past few years, so I have no guilty feelings making 'em lose money on a few 99c domains (for which I believe they themselves pay ~$8)

arpawocky
Premium Member
Columbus, OH

arpawocky

Premium Member

said by 79176722:

Thanks guys for the Namecheap tip. I've been looking for a real good reason to transfer my domains out of GoDaddy to Namecheap (after the nice below-cost first year $0.99 promo at GoDaddy) and you've just given it to me!

Ditching GoDaddy isn't reason enough?
79176722 (banned)
Miami, FL

1 edit

79176722 (banned)

Nah, price difference was somewhat minor to justify the time/effort alone. When price diff is major (SSL certificate) I already use Namecheap. And again, I can't resist GoDaddy's $1 .com domains. I just hope I'll follow-through and get most of my domains out of GD a month or so before they expire. We'll see...

I did, of course, make sure none of my domains are on auto-renew at rip-you-a-new-one-or-two rates. I rather put the pressure on myself to act before the expiration than allow myself to later say to myself "eh, don't worry, worst case it'll just auto-renew" like I've done in the past...
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR to OzarkEdge

to OzarkEdge
said by OzarkEdge:

said by toro:

www.dlinkddns.com

The ASUS Gigabit Router RT-N66U firmware will let you setup/register whatever.asuscomm.com to access the router's VPN and FTP WAN facilities. I guess some routers support this. I've wondered how wise/secure it is to use it.

OE

Netgear have a similar deal with no-ip.com. Sign up through the router's configuration.

bitseeker

bitseeker to david3

to david3
said by david3:

I'm using the noip.com free service (60 second TTL). It works fine, but the downside is you have to login to your account or have an IP change every 30 days. Just updating with a DDNS client every 30 days isn't enough, if the IP stays the same.

Good TTL support, but that's a bizarre update requirement. My home IP address, despite being dynamic, hasn't changed in years.

arpawocky
Premium Member
Columbus, OH

1 recommendation

arpawocky to 79176722

Premium Member

to 79176722
said by 79176722:

And again, I can't resist GoDaddy's $1 .com domains.

I feel ya. Sometimes I'll do the initial registration on GoDaddy to take advantage of the coupon codes, and then as soon as the domain is old enough to transfer, transfer it out - usually to either NameSilo or NameCheap, but sometimes to internet.bs, and once in a blue moon to Gandi.

For SSL certs I have a few different places I use - depending on the type of cert etc.
said by 79176722:

I just hope I'll follow-through and get most of my domains out of GD a month or so before they expire. We'll see..

Why wait? You typically get a year added to however much time was left when you transfer, so its not like you'll lose the remaining time that you paid for.. Plus, GoDaddy can get grumpy sometimes with transfers out - better to start with some decent time remaining just in case there are hiccups.

Edit:

Also, you can use NameCheap's DNS servers even if the domain is registered somewhere else. So, if you want to use them for dynamic DNS, you can do so before (or even without) transferring. NameCheap is very nice about it.
79176722 (banned)
Miami, FL

79176722 (banned)

Thanks for all the intel. I didn't notice the note about added time!! Awesome!

You'll retain all remaining time on your domain's registration, and, in most cases, add another year. (Namecheap)

blohner
join:2002-06-26
Lehigh Acres, FL

blohner to bitseeker

to bitseeker
Using noip.com for many years - the monthly email is annoying (my non static IP changes less than once every 5 years) but it's free so not much to complain...

bitseeker

bitseeker

said by blohner:

my non static IP changes less than once every 5 years

So how do you have a different IP once a month to satisfy the requirement? Just curious.