Re: Decided to cut the cord - price increases

Not according to nascar.com
»www.nascar.com/en_us/spr ··· ule.html
swbrains
join:2004-04-14
Land O Lakes, FL

swbrains to gigahurtz

to gigahurtz
I was looking at Sling TV also. With all tiers it was like $40 or $45/month which amounted to something like 20 - 30 channels or so. But then you add in naked internet at something like $80 or $90 per month and you're up around $120 - $130/month. My current bill is around $150/ month so I figure I can spend $130 and get about 30 channels or spend $150 and get > 100 channels. I may not watch most of them, but I do still like having the extras from time to time when there's nothing on my favorite channels and I want to surf. Also, I've got 4 TVs in the house that are in use at any given time and I've read that Sling TV doesn't allow multiple devices to stream its content simultaneously. That would definitely be a showstopper for me. And of course, I can't get SUN sports for the Lightning games over the air or even with the NHL Game Center service. It's only available through a carrier like BH or Verizon.

gigahurtz
Premium Member
join:2001-10-20
USA

gigahurtz

Premium Member

Unfortunately, when the cost of internet is higher than others it negates getting something like SlingTV (which is exactly what cable operators would like).
jcarerra
join:2007-06-13
Satellite Beach, FL

jcarerra

said by gigahurtz:

when the cost of internet is higher than others it negates getting something like SlingTV

And I think you have just explained why the cost of bare internet is kept so high.

gigahurtz
Premium Member
USA

gigahurtz

Premium Member

I definitely don't think that, I know that's the reason.

paradigmfl
join:2005-07-16

3 recommendations

paradigmfl

I think the goal eventually is to make the internet cost $100+ (if not $150) for everyone. At that point they will throw in the TV and phone for "free" as they make it all IP based and you'll essentially be paying for it whether you want it or not. There will be no decent internet packages under $100 and the average internet user will be paying $150. As we see BHN is definitely moving towards that.

Paying more because you want the internet only ought to be illegal for these monopoly or near monopoly providers. I really resent having to pay more because I don't want TV and I get a much better deal with other phone providers (Ooma at $4 a month for taxes).
the65gto
join:2000-08-31
Apopka, FL

the65gto

I have had an OBI200 for a year or 2. Back then it was ~$25, got a google phone number with it and it costs $0 to operate/month. Voice quality is excellent. I like its size 3x3 inches, 3 led lights, power and Ethernet cable. Compare the small size with "normal" approved BHN MTA boxes...Self resets when we have power glitches, extremely happy with it.

mixdup
join:2003-06-28
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup to paradigmfl

to paradigmfl
said by paradigmfl:

I think the goal eventually is to make the internet cost $100+ (if not $150) for everyone. At that point they will throw in the TV and phone for "free" as they make it all IP based and you'll essentially be paying for it whether you want it or not. There will be no decent internet packages under $100 and the average internet user will be paying $150. As we see BHN is definitely moving towards that.

Yep, this is how cable companies will get out from under cord cutters. Switching to "internet" video is going to end up costing consumers more than they pay now, and cable companies will make out like bandits. Get everyone to pay the same amount for just internet but you don't have to pay the Viacoms and Disneys of the world? Of course cable wants you to "cut the cord". That's what TWC/Comcast is all about. Has nothing to do with cable TV and everything to do with broadband.

AmelFl
join:2008-07-11
Clearwater, FL

AmelFl

I am canceling my cable and TV tomorrow, but wanted to show you guys my latest bill.

LOL, these guys have no shame

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97

Premium Member

So where are you going?

AmelFl
Clearwater, FL

1 recommendation

AmelFl

Earthlink, SlingTV and Amazon FireTV

John97
Premium Member
Spring Hill, FL

John97

Premium Member

Since you said "I am canceling my cable and TV tomorrow" which implies internet as well which is why I asked. I was curious what alternatives there were on the internet side.

Good luck.

gigahurtz
Premium Member
USA

gigahurtz

Premium Member

said by John97:

Since you said "I am canceling my cable and TV tomorrow" which implies internet as well which is why I asked. I was curious what alternatives there were on the internet side.

Good luck.

Are you in an ATT market? If so you have DSL Extreme as an alternative. No cap and decent speeds. They're a reseller of ATT.
jcarerra
Satellite Beach, FL

jcarerra to AmelFl

to AmelFl
What do you think the Earthlink, SlingTV and Amazon FireTV will add up to, and how much front end cost?

John97
Premium Member
Spring Hill, FL

John97 to gigahurtz

Premium Member

to gigahurtz
I'm not interested in DSL Extreme, but it's an interesting option.

I've got lightning 150 and am happy, other than the price.

I was just curious.

telijah
Premium Member
join:2013-04-22
Brandon, FL

telijah to AmelFl

Premium Member

to AmelFl
Coincidentally, our bundle was $10 higher this month, and they told my brother we should have gotten an email a couple months ago... still do not have an explanation as to why, am waiting on them to call my brother back.
Aprel
join:2013-09-14

Aprel to AmelFl

to AmelFl
For me, the bundle expired last month, noticed a price increase. Got on live chat, said "Can you get it back to the previous price?" and the rep said sure. Whole thing was handled in under 5 minutes.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to telijah

Premium Member

to telijah
said by telijah:

Coincidentally, our bundle was $10 higher this month, and they told my brother we should have gotten an email a couple months ago... still do not have an explanation as to why, am waiting on them to call my brother back.

Your promotion expired and has stepped. Promotions do not last forever in fact they last 12 months.

telijah
Premium Member
join:2013-04-22
Brandon, FL

telijah

Premium Member

I was trying to get my brother to find out when he did his bundle, but he claimed he was not on a promotion, but I did explain this looks like a stepped up post-promotion fee. He is unfortunately not as organized as I am and usually doesn't have the patience to sit down and figure these things out.

mixdup
join:2003-06-28
Alpharetta, GA

3 recommendations

mixdup to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
This is the result of these silly promos and bundles and the dance you have to play to call in and get back on a promo.

If cable, satellite, and telco companies would just have clear, transparent, and consistent pricing then customers wouldn't get irate about the ends of bundles. As Gary likes to point out so often, most customers aren't advanced or tuned into the nuance of this stuff like we are around here.
jcarerra
Satellite Beach, FL

jcarerra to AmelFl

to AmelFl
Last few messages tweaked me to try chat for bill reduction.
Answer: No.
Guess I am in a promo already.
Michael_D
join:2013-02-17
Indianapolis, IN

Michael_D to Aprel

to Aprel
said by Aprel:

For me, the bundle expired last month, noticed a price increase. Got on live chat, said "Can you get it back to the previous price?" and the rep said sure. Whole thing was handled in under 5 minutes.

BHN makes a TON of money screwing customers over with this when they don't watch their bill. Good for you that you happened to catch it. Misleading customers like this ought to be illegal.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by Michael_D:

said by Aprel:

BHN makes a TON of money screwing customers over with this when they don't watch their bill. Good for you that you happened to catch it. Misleading customers like this ought to be illegal.

Wait a second.... the promotion expired....that means you had it 12 months as promised. Just so happens that new comparable promotion is available at that very moment (a rare moment actually). Customer calls in....is qualified for new promo bam...done. How is that in any way misleading or illegal? This has nothing to do with watching your bill which you should be doing anyway....this has everything to do with the customer 12 month promotion expiring on the 12th month just as it should. You know when you went on that promotion and you know the duration....whether you received the expired notification or not a prudent soul marks it on their calendar for next year. At some point you have to accept a little bit of personal responsibility with your financial affairs and stop blaming everyone else.
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to AmelFl

Premium Member

to AmelFl
Let me share a tip with you.... I keep a 12 month calendar at my home office desk. Each of my bill due dates, promotions and expiration dates, cell phone contracts, birthdays and all the usual stuff are populated for everything each month. Each day I take a glance at it and handle the affairs scheduled for that day including but not limited to calling whoever I need to call to renegotiate whatever agreement I may be on as they expire.

Funny using this method I haven't had a late payment, missed contract renewal you name it in well over 20 years regardless of whether someone sent me a statement, reminder, whatever or not.

Cost of calendar = free - I get them every year in the mail from this, that or the other company that wants my business.

AmelFl
Clearwater, FL

AmelFl to jcarerra

to jcarerra
Earthlink $30 for 6 months and then its $44 - 15MBps
SlingTV is $20 a month - 22 channels
Amazon FireTV one time payment of $50, signing up for SlingTV gives you a 50% discount for FireTV, its usually $100

So basically, $50 for first 6 months, and then its $64

Sure I'll miss a couple of channels and the higher speeds, but this is totally enough for my needs.

I'll save at least $70 a month, or $840 a year.

gigahurtz
Premium Member
USA

gigahurtz

Premium Member

said by AmelFl:

Earthlink $30 for 6 months and then its $44 - 15MBps
SlingTV is $20 a month - 22 channels
Amazon FireTV one time payment of $50, signing up for SlingTV gives you a 50% discount for FireTV, its usually $100

So basically, $50 for first 6 months, and then its $64

Sure I'll miss a couple of channels and the higher speeds, but this is totally enough for my needs.

I'll save at least $70 a month, or $840 a year.

How have your streaming speeds been with the Earthlink plan?

RUQRU
Mac Addict
Premium Member
join:2005-07-30
Central FL

RUQRU to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

I keep a 12 month calendar at my home office desk.

Come on Gary, we got this thing called a computer nowadays. You can get a nice free one from the fine peeps at G00gle. Works great and no need for WhiteOut.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by RUQRU:

said by BHNtechXpert:

I keep a 12 month calendar at my home office desk.

Come on Gary, we got this thing called a computer nowadays. You can get a nice free one from the fine peeps at G00gle. Works great and no need for WhiteOut.

Computers die or get wiped in error....paper rarely dies. I'm so serious about this anyone who thinks that a calendar is beyond their budget let me know...I'll be happy to find and send you one.

gigahurtz
Premium Member
USA

gigahurtz

Premium Member

Paper burns in a fire, my Google calendar doesn't It also gives me access to it from any devices, any where. I can set and remove appointments anytime.

If I used a paper calendar and wanted to make note of when my promotion is expiring, I'd have to set myself a reminder to write in the appointment when I get my next years calendar.

No thanks!
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by gigahurtz:

Paper burns in a fire, my Google calendar doesn't It also gives me access to it from any devices, any where. I can set and remove appointments anytime.

If I used a paper calendar and wanted to make note of when my promotion is expiring, I'd have to set myself a reminder to write in the appointment when I get my next years calendar.

No thanks!

LOL I knew someone would come back with that. The office is the safest room of the house, not likely a fire concern (for me), I only pay bills from one place...my home office (I never have to worry about security concerns that way) and my calendar is multiyear which eliminates the final concern.