digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
GTA

digitalfutur

Premium Member

All TigerDirect Stores Closing

Except for 3 in the US and Puerto Rico. Store Closing signs went up at the local Burlington store a couple of days ago...right after it was robbed, twice (B&E) in 1 week. Apparently the video surveillance footage was of such poor quality that it was useless. Karma.

»forums.redflagdeals.com/ ··· 1693103/

They're going to focus on B2B but methinks the whole company is in financial difficulty.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

Meh, I ordered items from them once, one of them crapped out a day after the warranty was up, thought not necessary their fault when it was shipped I had a strong suspicion that it was a re-boxed item though sold as new.

Still its another loss, you can't get decent computer parts and stuff at BestBuy or Futureshop.
anynomous
join:2003-06-25
montreal

anynomous to digitalfutur

to digitalfutur
they won't be missed , tigerdirect was among the worst companies to do business with
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

1 recommendation

PX Eliezer1 to digitalfutur

Premium Member

to digitalfutur
They only [had] 34 stores....

Systemax, the parent company of Miami-based TigerDirect, said Wednesday it plans to exit its brick-and-mortar electronics business. The company will focus exclusively on selling online and directly to businesses....

The decision comes a week after two brothers who once ran Systemax's retail operation in Miami were sentenced on bribery changes. Carl Fiorentino, who admitted to taking $9.5 million in kickbacks in exchange for buying from certain vendors, was sentenced to 6½ years. Gilbert Fiorentino, who took $600,000, got 5 years.

»www.miamiherald.com/news ··· 826.html

That second guy got screwed, do the math.

lugnut
@dyn.xx.ca

lugnut to anynomous

Anon

to anynomous
said by anynomous:

they won't be missed , tigerdirect was among the worst companies to do business with

+1!!! Their rebates were horrible and their in store stock was never visible on the website..

Good riddance to them. I haven't bought a thing from them in almost 5 years.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
How the hell does that work, logarithmic sentencing scale? Sucks to be him.

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON

ArthurS to digitalfutur

Premium Member

to digitalfutur
Knew this would happen eventually. They used to have a semi reasonable selection of inventory in their stores, but in recent years it has dwindled to close to useless. Probably to encourage people to order online with them instead.
markf
join:2008-01-24
Scarborough, ON

markf to digitalfutur

to digitalfutur
In Burlington, I'm now a Canada Computers shopper.

Much rather go there than Tiger. The nature of computer parts business is such that its mostly online now anyways. Wait a couple of days and get a pretty good price with crazy selection online.

Their 15% return fee was a killer in my mind, especially when other places would take stuff back no problem without it.

Might swing by Tiger if there are any deals to be had.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

to Thane_Bitter
said by Thane_Bitter:

How the hell does that work, logarithmic sentencing scale?

Last Parade
join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade to digitalfutur

to digitalfutur
Bought a few things at the Burlington store but it's been years. Also bought a GPS at the Etobicoke store years ago.

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS

TLS2000 to digitalfutur

Premium Member

to digitalfutur
I bought some 6 foot micro USB cables a their Mississauga location last week. I may go stock up if they discount the stuff.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to digitalfutur

Premium Member

to digitalfutur
Back when I moved west from downtown, I really liked the one in Etobicoke, but like most have said the quality kept dropping over the years. I may swing by and see if I can get some good deals, but most of their stock is "second run" and overpriced, versus CC and NCIX.

I predict this "closure" is going to look a lot more like Target's than like a real liquidation sale.

EQ
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to digitalfutur

to digitalfutur
Not that I've bought anything from them in years, but in the past I actually did buy a PSU from them as part of a PC tuneup and upgrade that I did together with a writer from Windows Secrets (Fred Langa)

Its a story that still exists in the Windows Secrets archive (It's from 2007, egads how time flies)

NefCanuck

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium Member
join:2002-05-20
London, ON
Netgear R7000
Asus RT-N66
Hitron CODA-4582

nekkidtruth to markf

Premium Member

to markf
said by markf:

Their 15% return fee was a killer in my mind, especially when other places would take stuff back no problem without it.

CC has a similar "restock fee". So I don't see that as being the "killer" in here. Is it lower than 15%? Sure. But there's still a fee. In my opinion, there shouldn't be a restock fee period.

11. Canada Computers & Electronics will charge a minimum 5% restocking fee on any opened or used products except for all video cards, desktops, laptops, servers and tablets which are subject to a minimum 10% restocking fee.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to digitalfutur

MVM

to digitalfutur
I've never been to a TigerDirect retail store (I don't think they ever had any near Montreal, although apparently Canada Computers now does), but I very rarely shopped with them online. Except when they had sales, their prices were not great, their shipping was slow, they charged me QST even though they had no presence in Quebec, their website wasn't great, etc. I mostly try to buy from Amazon, NCIX, NewEgg, etc.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to digitalfutur

Premium Member

to digitalfutur
I have always hated TD, they are the kings of "rebates".

I wish these retailers would do the same as car dealers, take the rebate price out of the cost of goods, and claim it themselves.

What I really hate is they may not give you "cash" but potentially an AMEX gift card.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to digitalfutur

Premium Member

to digitalfutur
I've never been a Tiger Direct fan, but recently.. They've been selling SBG6580 HWv 3 into the Rogers market. It is known incompatible, and can't be upgraded, and they charge WAY TOO MUCH money for it too. They know its no good, they know it is deceptive to people. Argh!

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

What I really hate is they may not give you "cash" but potentially an AMEX gift card.

Amex gift cards are the worst of the worst for both customers and retailers alike.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to digitalfutur

MVM

to digitalfutur
Amex gift cards are no big deal, because you can just convert them into amazon credit and then it gets used for anything you buy on Amazon, or anything you buy from anybody else via amazon payments.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere to digitalfutur

Premium Member

to digitalfutur
said by digitalfutur:

....They're going to focus on B2B but methinks the whole company is in financial difficulty.

Most of the retail tech sector is struggling these days, with the exceedingly thin margins which they are forced to accept in order to compete.

BB & FS have had problems of the same sort too, over the past year or two, and recently Radio Shack, and there are others....

But TigerD didn't make it any easier on themselves along the way, becoming notorious for misleading prices due to mail in rebates, selling too many refurbs, plus some blatant errors in their ads - and I'm just talking about their web presence - not sure how it has been at their stores, the chain of which they prob'ly tried to expand to quickly for their cashflow.

Maxx2006
join:2013-02-02
Guelph, ON

Maxx2006 to digitalfutur

to digitalfutur
Have not bought from them in awhile, I go to Canada Computers or order online from Newegg.

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Amex gift cards are no big deal, because you can just convert them into amazon credit and then it gets used for anything you buy on Amazon, or anything you buy from anybody else via amazon payments.

This is what I do with any fixed value gift card that I get (almost always from some sort of MIR)... Visa, MC, or Amex.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker to digitalfutur

Premium Member

to digitalfutur
I haven't bought from them lately. I had ordered a QNAP from them a while back. It had been on sale, but 3 weeks after ordering the price dropped, and they were claiming they were in stock. At this point someone else had dropped their price to about the same so I ordered it there.

At times though they would be the cheapest for larger red drives, but not lately.

capdjq
Be Kind, Be Calm & Be Safe
Premium Member
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

capdjq to digitalfutur

Premium Member

to digitalfutur
Never bought anything from them.

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16

koira to digitalfutur

Premium Member

to digitalfutur
I never bought much gear there.
A couple PCI cards, a cheap refurb router, and a refurb laptop.
They were cool enough to sell a Window 7 install disc with new computer licence, the lower cost than upgrade variety. None of the other vendors would sell it without a new computer purchase.
I went into the Burlington location around Christmas and it was mess, poorly organized display racks.
So with the remaining US locations I suppose they will sell more online than brick and mortar.

v6movement
@pppoe.ca

v6movement to digitalfutur

Anon

to digitalfutur
Never been a fan of TD but stopped buying anything from them after ordering a network adapter from their online site and receiving something different than what was shown on the site. They wouldn't take it back and pointed to some clause that said they were not responsible for the pictures of the items on their site. How am I supposed to know I'm going to receive something different? Why would I order it if it was different? A totally scummy company.
jumpingryan
join:2008-07-27
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan to digitalfutur

to digitalfutur
Last thing I bought from them was electric air blower (plug in model) to avoid having to use compressed air cans all the time. It was on sale, and suprisingly TigerDirect had the best prices for it while I was looking.

While I could use a shop air compressor, unless you have an air drier setup, and can ensure that oil /water is removed, I don't recomend it. The electric one is much cleaner and nicer to electronics, and far more portable.

The purcahse was and still is awesome... I use it quite often, and it has maybe 10 times the pressure of compressed air, and is constant. I reccomend one for anyone who owns a computer and cleans it themselves, as the tool will likely last for years.

That being said, while their website is "ok", I rarely buy anything from there now unless there is a good price, and I am in need of the item.

Amazon, Canada Computers, NCIX, and NewEgg all generally have better prices, and easier service conditions. But none of them have a monopoly on lowest price... you have to shop around.

As to being in difficulty, I would suggest that it's brick and mortars side of business was most certainly in trouble.... however I am not too sure if their online component is hurting.

I used to read their reviews alot, as they seemed to be fairly open and not censored, although I havn't chekced them in a while.

One thing about TigerDirect that I liked... it accepted BitCoin... although more and more places are heading towards that as well.

bryanviper
join:2002-10-12
Toronto, CAN

bryanviper

Which compressor did you buy if you dont mind me asking? if they have ad eal on one maybe i'll pick it up.

Thanks
said by jumpingryan:

Last thing I bought from them was electric air blower (plug in model) to avoid having to use compressed air cans all the time. It was on sale, and suprisingly TigerDirect had the best prices for it while I was looking.

While I could use a shop air compressor, unless you have an air drier setup, and can ensure that oil /water is removed, I don't recomend it. The electric one is much cleaner and nicer to electronics, and far more portable.

The purcahse was and still is awesome... I use it quite often, and it has maybe 10 times the pressure of compressed air, and is constant. I reccomend one for anyone who owns a computer and cleans it themselves, as the tool will likely last for years.

That being said, while their website is "ok", I rarely buy anything from there now unless there is a good price, and I am in need of the item.

Amazon, Canada Computers, NCIX, and NewEgg all generally have better prices, and easier service conditions. But none of them have a monopoly on lowest price... you have to shop around.

As to being in difficulty, I would suggest that it's brick and mortars side of business was most certainly in trouble.... however I am not too sure if their online component is hurting.

I used to read their reviews alot, as they seemed to be fairly open and not censored, although I havn't chekced them in a while.

One thing about TigerDirect that I liked... it accepted BitCoin... although more and more places are heading towards that as well.

markf
join:2008-01-24
Scarborough, ON

markf to digitalfutur

to digitalfutur
Went into the Burlington store today. Nothing too special at all, at least not anything I'd buy impulsively.

I was looking at streaming players, they had Chromecast for $51.99 minus 10%. Considering a quick Google search yields them for less than $40, not sure TD has such a deal on them at least.
jumpingryan
join:2008-07-27
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan to bryanviper

to bryanviper
said by bryanviper:

Which compressor did you buy if you dont mind me asking? if they have ad eal on one maybe i'll pick it up.

Thanks

Had to look up the bill for you.

Metro Data Vacuum ED500 Datavac Electric Duster (M163-1040). I got it from TigerDirect.ca

I paid $61.99 CDN, plus all the usual taxes/shipping around 15 Aug 2014. I can't remember if it was on sale.

Based on my use of the tool, I would have paid almost $100 without regrets. It is one of the best tools I have purchased for computer servicing, and I use it for all kinds of cleaning jobs for computers.

It probably has 10 times the power of a can of compressed air, and doesn't run out nor freeze your hands. I have the 120 volt version as I didn't like the rechargeable one I saw.... A 120 volt plug is usually never far away from a computer, and I like the continuous power.

It has a bunch of tips to direct the air differently, but I really use only one. It also has a filter on the intake for clean air being pushed through the blower. If you clean your computer even twice a year, along with other occasional tinkering, I don't think you will regret this purchase at all.

-----------

While I have a 60 gallon Air Compressor in the shop (on 220 Volt), along with a small portable 120 volt one for house use, I don't recommend anything but the electric duster style above for electronics.

Garage/shop/construction site air compressors usually have dirty air (with anything from lightweight compressor oil to water), unless you spend alot on air conditioning methods (i.e. have a compressed air paint setup).