Search similar:

uniqs

horacebork
Premium Member
join:2011-03-17

horacebork

Premium Member

little snitch and skype

i have been using little snitch for a long time and find it very useful. most of the time, some website or app will cause little snitch to wake up and prompt for one or a few connection permissions.

when i start skype, there are *dozens* of connections to servers all over the world before i even get to begin using the app.

i have read on the web that it's making connections to contacts, advertisers, etc. but my contacts list is empty. and it seems odd that it would then just be making network connections to advertisers in africa, asia, wherever.

so my question is: are all of these connections required to have one single skype conversation? or do i need to research each one individually and give things a try one at a time on each of the dozens to see which can be permanently ignored without affecting skype behavior?

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA

buckingham

Premium Member

Unless things have changed in recent years, Skype uses end clients to increase computing power for call handling of the whole system...which is why I've never, ever used it.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

Supernodes are now under MS control.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sk ··· protocol

horacebork
Premium Member
join:2011-03-17

horacebork to buckingham

Premium Member

to buckingham

... Skype uses end clients to increase computing power ...

stunned. really? how can they even pretend to offer any kind of privacy policy?
i ... have no words.

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA

buckingham

Premium Member

Years ago when Skype first came knocking, I actually read the EULA...and it was scary. 'Suggest you do the same now with the current iteration just to see what's in there. "Privacy" isn't often an end-goal with these "free" services, despite what might be said. The link that Keranstd posted still doesn't bring me "warm and fuzzy" feelings about Skype, but the issue I mentioned may have been mitigated.