spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jb100
join:2015-03-13
Canada

jb100

[Modem/Router] CGN3 with new Rogers 100/10 Ignite package

I just changed over today to the new package. When we went to the Rogers store they gave us the CGN3 modem, which doesn't have the USB key with it. My understanding was we should have gotten the CGN2ACR. The one we have is working great with very good speeds. Is there an issue or should I just leave it?
Datalink
Premium Member
join:2014-08-11
Ottawa ON

Datalink

Premium Member

Its possible that they didn't have any CGN3ACRs in stock. If you don't use 802.11ac at all, you don't need the CGN3ACR. However, if you have 802.11ac laptops or other devices, its definitely worth switching modems. As for the USB key. My advice for anyone who has one is to throw it out. Its more trouble than what its worth. It allows you to name your wired network, setup a guest account for the CGN3 and previous modems and does have parental controls. If you do need or intend to use a guest account, then the CGN3ACR would be a better way to do that as it now allows the users to set up secondary networks. As for the parental controls, if you need that function, you are better off buying a good third party router.
jb100
join:2015-03-13
Canada

jb100

Thanks very much. I think I'll keep what I have. I was able to find the programming instructions beforehand, so I didnt need the key anyway.

Driver8666
join:2014-01-01
East York, ON

Driver8666

I set my CGN up without the key. Consider formatting it.