uniqs

Jetta392
Premium Member
join:2002-07-14
Martinsville, NJ

Jetta392

Premium Member

[OOL] Upgrading from basic tier to ultra 50 gives half download speed

I recently upgraded to Ultra 50 from basic 15/5. Now I am getting nearly half or less download ever since. This happens mostly at night. I am not at home during the day but I will check on the weekend. Why would this happen? The 15/5 service was rock sold. I think I had a problem or two at times, but it was always consistent.

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

1 recommendation

limegrass69

Tell us more about your setup. What modem and router do you have?

DAOWAce
join:2006-10-25
Flanders, NJ

DAOWAce to Jetta392

to Jetta392
Your connection went from 15/5 to 7.5/5, usually around 5PM to 12AM?

If yes: Your node is oversold on those new frequencies. Complain to CV, hope they add another bonding channel or two. That, or your modem needs to be rebooted to get updated channels (unlikely since they reboot it after a service change.. or should), or even replaced if it doesn't support the new service.

But yes, more info about your hardware would help.

I could be wrong, but the issue sounds similar to what happened to me with different tiers.

I was on Boost service years back and it started having issues so bad the internet was barely even usable for web browsing for about 18 hours a day. I ended up downgrading back to standard tier and could actually use my connection, but instead of 80% packet loss I instead suffered 600+ms latency. From that I learned the stark differences between different tiers of their service and how they can be affected by completely different issues at the same time. (For the ones in the know, this was due to the DOCSIS 3.0 upgrade; it took CV 3 months to fix the issue and we got a small refund on our services afterward. They still haven't entirely fixed the packet loss 6 years later and I'm still going through hoops with them every time I report about it.)
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt

There is no systemic packet loss. Also, the same 8 frequencies for downstream and 2 or 3 upstream frequencies are used across all service classes.

Did any other changes happen with the change in subscribed service? New modem or new router?