Dee Bee
Premium Member
join:2005-05-08
St Catharines, ON

Dee Bee to OzarkEdge

Premium Member

to OzarkEdge

Re: [Voip.ms] Call 811 Before You Dig?

Everything you wanted to know about 311 in Canada but were afraid to ask, courtesy of the CRTC :

»www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archi ··· 4-71.htm
OzarkEdge
join:2014-02-23
USA

OzarkEdge to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

said by OzarkEdge:

I omit the NDD prefix (1) except where required... it's mostly not required.

I always use the North American (1) prefix both in dial plans and manually, for several reasons:

1) Some providers do need it (eg CWU and CC but others too).

2) It never hurts.

3) Sometimes it may save your butt. If you were to dial the Washington, DC number you mentioned 2027621401 on CWU without the (1) you would be calling Cairo.

4) Sometimes various devices seem to "miss" the first keypress. Hitting the (1) for example on my fax machine or my mobile, helps to wake it up.

I've never seen where dialing (1) causes a problem. I do it always.

And it does literally say that Canada and the USA are #1.

3) Why would CWU route an International call in the absence of the International Direct Dialing prefix, 011? (CWU will route 800 toll-free calls without the leading 1, which is all I've used them for.)

OE
OzarkEdge

1 edit

OzarkEdge to arpawocky

to arpawocky
said by arpawocky:

For me, it is about consistency and standardization. I'm a bit OCD, and the idea of dialing a country code for some locations and not others just seems weird, as weird as dialing an area code for some locations and not others.

I'm for consistency AND minimum-digit dialing...

Do cell phone users dial 1-npa-xxx-xxxx or just npa-xxx-xxxx?

My OBi dial plan lets you dial as much as you want, subject to the required minimum digits. Dial the 1 if you want, or leave it off, your choice.

OE
OzarkEdge

1 recommendation

OzarkEdge to 79176722

to 79176722
said by 79176722:

The question is: will you remember this 311 shortcut months/years from now after not needing to use it?

Yes, it's documented in my notes. And ordered 3-6-9 to easily remember:

311 non-emergency local police
611 semi-emergency poison control
911 emergency services

OE
compuguy
join:2003-05-26
Burke, VA

compuguy to OzarkEdge

to OzarkEdge
said by OzarkEdge:

said by arpawocky:

For me, it is about consistency and standardization. I'm a bit OCD, and the idea of dialing a country code for some locations and not others just seems weird, as weird as dialing an area code for some locations and not others.

I'm for consistency AND minimum-digit dialing...

Do cell phone users dial 1-npa-xxx-xxxx or just npa-xxx-xxxx?

My OBi dial plan lets you dial as much as you want, subject to the required minimum digits. Dial the 1 if you want, or leave it off, your choice.

OE

To my knowledge you can dial either way on most cell phones (at least that's my experience with AT&T and T-Mobile).

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to OzarkEdge

to OzarkEdge
My customers can dial 1+NPA-NXX-XXXX or 9+NPA-NXX-XXXX NPA-NXX-XXXX or NXX-XXXX (Provided they are dialing their own area code) and the switch is smart enough to figure out what to drop or add.

It seems like an easy thing for every switch except for a 5ESS or DMS100 to do.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

2 edits

1 recommendation

PX Eliezer1 to OzarkEdge

Premium Member

to OzarkEdge
said by OzarkEdge:

Why would CWU route an International call in the absence of the International Direct Dialing prefix, 011?

You have heard of someone being called a man of the world?

CWU is a phone company of the world.

Yes, they do ask you to dial the full and proper number from a worldwide POV, not from a limited American POV.

CWU serves customers all over the world. And their equipment does not ask you whether you are American or Andorran or Argentinian.

So that US and Canadian numbers are called with country code 1, Russian numbers are called with country code 7, French with country code 33, and so forth.

With CWU, dialing prefix 011 is NOT needed for any calls. But the owner actually arranged permissive dialing of 011 simply because so many people were using it out of habit. True.

(A similar example would be that in some countries where the emergency line is NOT really 911, the authorities allowed 911 to be used because so many Yankee visitors were calling it....)
said by OzarkEdge:

(CWU will route 800 toll-free calls without the leading 1, which is all I've used them for.)

Maybe he will route 800 calls by default. There is not a big conflict there. In fact 800 as a country code is supposed to be for free calling anyway (Universal International Freephone Service).

EDIT: CWU does not handle [my] 800 calls without the "1" prefix. It results in a fast busy.
OzarkEdge
USA

OzarkEdge to compuguy

to compuguy
said by compuguy:

To my knowledge you can dial either way on most cell phones (at least that's my experience with AT&T and T-Mobile).

Yeah, that is my point... omitting the NDD prefix (1) is consistent with much dialing.

OE
OzarkEdge

OzarkEdge to battleop

to battleop
said by battleop:

My customers can dial 1+NPA-NXX-XXXX or 9+NPA-NXX-XXXX NPA-NXX-XXXX or NXX-XXXX (Provided they are dialing their own area code) and the switch is smart enough to figure out what to drop or add.

It seems like an easy thing for every switch except for a 5ESS or DMS100 to do.

And you can make an OBi dial plan do this.

OE
OzarkEdge

OzarkEdge to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

said by OzarkEdge:

Why would CWU route an International call in the absence of the International Direct Dialing prefix, 011?

You have heard of someone being called a man of the world?

CWU is a phone company of the world.

Yes, they do ask you to dial the full and proper number from a worldwide POV, not from a limited American POV.

CWU serves customers all over the world. And their equipment does not ask you whether you are American or Andorran or Argentinian.

So that US and Canadian numbers are called with country code 1, Russian numbers are called with country code 7, French with country code 33, and so forth.

With CWU, dialing prefix 011 is NOT needed for any calls. But the owner actually arranged permissive dialing of 011 simply because so many people were using it out of habit. True.

(A similar example would be that in some countries where the emergency line is NOT really 911, the authorities allowed 911 to be used because so many Yankee visitors were calling it....)
said by OzarkEdge:

(CWU will route 800 toll-free calls without the leading 1, which is all I've used them for.)

Maybe he will route 800 calls by default. There is not a big conflict there. In fact 800 as a country code is supposed to be for free calling anyway (Universal International Freephone Service).

EDIT: CWU does not handle [my] 800 calls without the "1" prefix. It results in a fast busy.

Thanks... that's the only rationale I was thinking might apply... location-less dialing... just the sort of thing I'd expect from that guy! If I ever signup for CWU, I'll adapt my dial plan to support his requirements.

A few follow-up observations:

The NDD prefix (1) is not the same as the US country code (1). CWU could require the country code (1), but then is not requiring the NDD prefix (1).. he's omitting it.

Although CWU's free toll-free server specifies "accepted area codes are 1800, 1888, 1877, 1866, 1855 and 1844", implying that the NDD prefix (1) is required, the service will happily route toll-free calls without the prefix, as in 8004377950@tf.callwithus.com.

It could be that your own dial plan is returning your fast busy, if it is not designed for omitting the NDD prefix (1).

OE
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

1 recommendation

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by OzarkEdge:

The NDD prefix (1) is not the same as the US country code (1). CWU could require the country code (1), but then is not requiring the NDD prefix (1).. he's omitting it.

In the case of the USA, the NDD prefix and the country code are not just "1" and the same, but also "one" and the same.

In other words, not just coincidence.
said by OzarkEdge:

Although CWU's free toll-free server specifies "accepted area codes are 1800, 1888, 1877, 1866, 1855 and 1844", implying that the NDD prefix (1) is required, the service will happily route toll-free calls without the prefix, as in 8004377950@tf.callwithus.com.

It could be that your own dial plan is returning your fast busy, if it is not designed for omitting the NDD prefix (1).

Yes, you can send it to their server that way, because [that] system is specifically set up for toll-free calls.

Hence the TF in the sequence @tf.callwithus.com

But if you try to dial 800 rather than 1-800 on a CWU phone, the call will fail.

And if you dial 855 rather than 1-855, you will be connected to Cambodia.
OzarkEdge
USA

OzarkEdge

said by PX Eliezer1:

In the case of the USA, the NDD prefix and the country code are not just "1" and the same, but also "one" and the same.

In other words, not just coincidence.

Understood. »[General] Does the National Direct Dialing (NDD) prefix = the country code?

I think I'll keep them conceptually separate in spite of our self-endowed exceptionalism.

OE