uniqs

NY Tel
Premium Member
join:2004-04-09
Smithtown, NY

NY Tel

Premium Member

[OS X] Mid 2010 MBP Beachball issue

OK so it originally came with Leopard and I have progressively done all of the upgrades. At Lion, it began to give me the spinning beachball whenever I try to do practically anything. I then did a clean install of Yosemite (current) and it was fine until a few weeks ago. Same issue now. The beachball occurs when I open Mail, iTunes, Safari, Firefox, Chrome and most other applications.
In an effort to troubleshoot, I tried logging off of my profile and using the guest account.
Guess what? No beachball at all and the system is responsive.
Any suggestions as to what I could do to fix my profile or whatever? LOL
Screen shot of my machine.

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

Have you repaired your permissions via disk utility?

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike to NY Tel

Mod

to NY Tel
anything in console.app ?
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon to NY Tel

Premium Member

to NY Tel
Click for full size
I wonder if some process on your account has run amok and is using all available RAM, forcing you to swap to disk constantly. What if you open activity monitor, go the memory tab, and sort by memory usage?

secd uses a lot of RAM on my machine occasionally, and suffers from no apparent problems if I force quit it and let it restart.

lhvetinari
yaW gnorW
join:2008-09-26
Kenosha/Chgo

lhvetinari to NY Tel

to NY Tel
I'd highly recommend more RAM - I've got an Early 08, and maxing it out at 6GB is alright, but 8+ would really shine.

NY Tel
Premium Member
join:2004-04-09
Smithtown, NY

NY Tel

Premium Member

Ok it was a combination of Chrome having 7 instances open that wouldn't close (those damn extensions) and Spotify was also hogging some memory.
I disabled all Chrome extensions and force closed a few others and now the machine is like lightning again. I really should stick to using Safari....
Thank you all for your suggestions.