dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Muncher
join:2008-04-15

Muncher

How to get the provision for phone removed?

Hi, this is call out to the Telus folks here. I dropped the phone service years ago, but held onto my telus tv, broadband service. I recently upgraded to bonded 50Mbit service, found out that the old phone number still works, line is still active. I couldn't get 100Mbit service due to insufficient attainable line speed. The line with the phone service was considerable lower in line speed. I was wondering if I could get Telus to remove the phone line would/could it improve the attainable speed so I could get the 100Mbit service?
Mikomi
join:2013-12-09
Parksville, BC

Mikomi

Wouldn't make a difference to line rate what so ever. VDSL and home phone use different frequencies on the line that do not intersect with each other.

like so »upload.wikimedia.org/wik ··· .svg.png

Also TELUS always does 'Warm DSL' Basically means that if you have internet with TELUS you have a phone number as well it just isn't billed

Muncher

Muncher

I know two people with Telus service that have the phone completely disabled. I guess they're the exception. As for the phone not causing problems for the other services. When the tech used the phone line, the gateway crashed with massive errors, which shut down the TV, and internet. He had to fish out a new line. It then worked, but at lower speeds. Wires do funny things in the real world, I understand that the services shouldn't interfere, but up on the poles strange things can happen.
kylez
join:2009-03-26

kylez to Muncher

to Muncher
Telus does offer dry loops for bonding, but I wouldn't bother... unless if you're okay with the minimum of 15ms latency hit. At the same time though, you have it presently.
Kruisey
join:2006-12-30
Vancouver, BC

Kruisey to Mikomi

to Mikomi
'Phone number not billed if you have internet' If one uses that phone number does one pay a basic fee for have the phone?

Muncher

Muncher

I was wondering the same thing. If I hooked up a phone would I be charged. The number is still active and the number is still functioning.
Muncher

Muncher

BTW current speedtest

ping is currently at 15ms. Do you mean to add 15ms to this?
pb2k
join:2005-05-30
Calgary, AB

pb2k to Muncher

to Muncher
I've been told (not sure if its true) that having voltage on your line actually prevents corrosion in some instances. You may be limited to just 911 calling on that line, so I'd hook up an old junker phone at the POTS splitter and keep it, just in case.

Not sure where kylez is getting his 15ms latency bs from, but there's no technical reason for it to happen.

Muncher

Muncher

Actually, I can dial out to any number and receive any call. Just tested. Wouldn't the internet connection be on 24/7 do the same thing for corrosion? The box on my house uses dissimilar metal post (not copper) so corrosion will happen.
pb2k
Calgary, AB

pb2k

I'm not sure.

In any event, there's no harm in the POTs signal being there. The probable reason for the sync difference between pairs is that they are in different binder groups.

Muncher

Muncher

I like your idea regarding the 911 thingy. I could sound out the existing jacks and have a couple of phones (bedroom, Kitchen) set to no-ring, have them there for emergencies.
kylez
join:2009-03-26

kylez to pb2k

to pb2k
said by pb2k:

but there's no technical reason for it to happen.

5ms on both lines, then there's the bonding hit. Unless if you can show otherwise?
said by Muncher:

Nope, you already have it.

Muncher

Muncher

I had higher pings before bonding. I'll have to live with this
pb2k
Calgary, AB

pb2k to kylez

to kylez
said by kylez:

said by pb2k:

but there's no technical reason for it to happen.

5ms on both lines, then there's the bonding hit. Unless if you can show otherwise?
said by Muncher:

Nope, you already have it.

The latency of both paths is independent of each other, which is some scenarios could actually be beneficial from a serialization delay perspective.
I'm not sure what that actual overhead of bonding is, but I would hazard a guess that it's trivial in the grand scheme of things.

pfak
Premium Member
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

pfak to Mikomi

Premium Member

to Mikomi
said by Mikomi:

Also TELUS always does 'Warm DSL' Basically means that if you have internet with TELUS you have a phone number as well it just isn't billed

New xDSL-only services are no longer deployed with home phone.
said by pb2k:

I'm not sure what that actual overhead of bonding is, but I would hazard a guess that it's trivial in the grand scheme of things.

You can't do PhyR on a bonded VDSL connection, so significant latency vs. a single line which can support PhyR.
pb2k
Calgary, AB

pb2k

said by pfak:

You can't do PhyR on a bonded VDSL connection, so significant latency vs. a single line which can support PhyR.

I'm not sure, so I stand to be corrected. Symtex or TierX (if you still visit), can you comment?

que_ball
join:2004-05-11
Edmonton, AB

que_ball

Post confirming that bonded connections cannot use PhyR and must use interleaved profiles resulting in increased first hop latency:
»Re: 100 Mbit bonded now being offered (100 megs down/20 megs up)
Kruisey
Vancouver, BC

Kruisey

May I repeat this question.Are we supposed to have the land line connected free when we have internet?I use my phone to place overseas calls and have a mail box?
pb2k
Calgary, AB

pb2k to que_ball

to que_ball
said by que_ball:

Post confirming that bonded connections cannot use PhyR and must use interleaved profiles resulting in increased first hop latency:
»Re: 100 Mbit bonded now being offered (100 megs down/20 megs up)

I missed that - thanks.

Based on Muncher's ping, I wonder if g.INP has been sorted?

que_ball
join:2004-05-11
Edmonton, AB

que_ball

You would hear about the old modems getting a new firmware upgrade pushed to them before G.inp is deployed.

15ms to a local hop would indicate it's still using interleaved.
g.inp working would mean the latency falls to about 7ms for a local server.
que_ball

que_ball to Kruisey

to Kruisey
If you do not pay for phone you are not supposed to have any dial tone.

It's not free, though you get a discount for bundling.
ttvtech
join:2013-10-10

ttvtech to Muncher

to Muncher
The phone line shouldn't affect anything. All DSL circuits are assigned and connected to line equipment, except the second line on bonded circuits. If you don't order a phone line, it shouldn't have dialtone. It should be programmed to give a message when you pick up. This is what most people will find. Changing the programming on the line equipment from dialtone to a restricted-line message won't change the sync rates. If you needed to be bonded to get 50, it means that you don't qualify for 50 on a single line, which means you don't qualify for 100 on a bonded path.

Muncher

Muncher

here are the stats from the gateway question good or bad

Levels Downstream Upstream
Line Rate: 36501 Kbps 6088 Kbps
Attainable Line Rate: 49153 Kbps 9165 Kbps
SNR: 7 dB 9 dB
Attenuation: (US1)20.1, (DS2)47.4 dB (US1)7.5, (US2)39.2 dB
Power: 18.5 dBm 5.3 dBm

Levels Downstream Upstream
Line Rate: 40287 Kbps 6190 Kbps
Attainable Line Rate: 53950 Kbps 8401 Kbps
SNR: 9 dB 9 dB
Attenuation: (DS1)18.0, (DS2)45.4 dB (US1)7.6, (US2)37.0 dB
Power: 16.1 dBm 2.2 dBm
telususer
join:2006-03-05
Burnaby, BC

telususer to Muncher

to Muncher
I remember when I asked Telus to disconnect my phone line for dry DSL. It resulted in people getting charged for long distance when they called my number. I eventually had my line closed and long distance charges were reversed/not charged.
ttvtech
join:2013-10-10

ttvtech to Muncher

to Muncher
That's not unusual to have a 2db difference between different pairs. It looks great for a bonded 50, but it would be pretty marginal for a 100mbps bonded circuit.

Muncher

Muncher

I agree that it is marginal, that's why I asked regarding the phone thingy. Fibre would fix that issue, but the way Telus appears to be building out the line, it seems to be all north of the Bow river. The CO in my neighbourhood, is to shut down shortly. That may make them light us up, I hope this happens before the economy goes tails up.
Kruisey
Vancouver, BC

Kruisey to que_ball

to que_ball
Thank you for your reply.I understand now that if one does not have land line service one gets a restricted message on the phone. I just thought I might be able to lower my bill.Shucks I cannot
chx1975
join:2013-04-03

chx1975 to Mikomi

to Mikomi
said by Mikomi:

Basically means that if you have internet with TELUS you have a phone number as well it just isn't billed

Very nasty. I got a survey call over that number and TELUS insisted it's the enterphone's company fault. Do you have a source for this?

humanfilth
join:2013-02-14
river styx

humanfilth

said by chx1975:

I got a survey call over that number

Another thread
»[BC] Telemarketing calls
One of the answers is:
»Re: [BC] Telemarketing calls

In any case, there are a couple of ways to fix it. If you call in, TS might be able to reprogram the line equipment and make sure that incoming callers get the out-of-service message. If that fails, a tech could pull out the jumpers from the line equipment [POTS] to the DSL port.

But that will depend on how your building's answer phone is. Modern building answer phones will go out onto the phone system and come back in to ring for the door buzzer. Great with residents who only have a cellphone, since they can route the door buzzer to the cellphone.
Older systems are all internal and may be on a dedicated pair.