takeahike
You sure ask a lot of dumb questions
Premium Member
join:2005-01-07
Catacombs

takeahike

Premium Member

[WIN7] Stay away from update KB3033929

Released last Tuesday 3/10, many are experiencing endless reboot loops after this update. Was ok for me but I still uninstalled it. Best to do that or hide it for the time being. See: »www.idigitaltimes.com/ho ··· g-422816

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert

Mod

said by takeahike:

Was ok for me but I still uninstalled it.

From what I have heard, the problem is with installing and validating.

If the update worked for you, then you already got past that point. You should have kept it (in my opinion).

I have not installed that update yet, though I am not expecting problems. I dual-boot, but Windows boot manager controls the booting.

I experienced similar problems (except no reboot-loop) with Service Pack 1 for Vista. That's why I switched to allowing the Windows boot manager to control the booting.

I'm curious on whether this is a problem for people who install grub in the MBR, and leave the Windows partition as the active partition.

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

Wily_One to takeahike

Premium Member

to takeahike
Installed that today (Win7 64-bit), no problems here. Rebooted fine several times as part of periodic maintenance. (chkdsk, etc.)
jupitermoon
join:2011-09-27

1 recommendation

jupitermoon to takeahike

to takeahike
I just posted this in the Microsoft Security Bulletin(s) for march 10, 2015 thread. I'm reposting it here for the sake of completeness.

»Microsoft Security Bulletin(s) for march 10, 2015

The Sophos article that Blackbird posted seems to have gotten to the root of the problem and offers a way to prevent it. Apparently, there is another update, KB3035131, that shares affected binaries with KB3033929, and KB3035131 needs to be installed BEFORE you install KB3033929 to avoid problems.

»nakedsecurity.sophos.com ··· -update/

Here is the article's what-to-do summary:
quote:
• If you are not using Windows 7 or Windows 2008 R2, you can relax, because this shouldn't affect you.
• If you have both KB3033929 and KB3035131 installed and are not having problems, you can relax, but make sure that both updates are shown as correctly installed.
• If you haven't patched yet, make sure you apply KB 3035131 first, or let Windows make all the update decisions for you.
• If you already installed the wrong way round, you will need to roll back and start again.
I guess time will tell if they got it right.

BIGbadjohn
A Merry Tune
Premium Member
join:2003-03-05
Ireland

1 edit

BIGbadjohn to takeahike

Premium Member

to takeahike
I have both installed from yesterday, I have only seen this information this morning (Mon). Computer switched off overnight and no problems so far.
Forgot, using Win 7 SP1. I let Windows make the decisions. Said all updates couldn't be installed (39 off) then immediately said it needed to install 2 more after reboot.

takeahike
You sure ask a lot of dumb questions
Premium Member
join:2005-01-07
Catacombs

takeahike

Premium Member

New article on this: »www.zdnet.com/article/mo ··· Fb1d24ec

BIGbadjohn
A Merry Tune
Premium Member
join:2003-03-05
Ireland

BIGbadjohn

Premium Member

Just to add now a week later, absolutely no problems, thankfully

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

No problems here either on my laptop.

Freddy
Premium Member
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA

1 recommendation

Freddy to takeahike

Premium Member

to takeahike
Click for full size

Snoopy2
Premium Member
join:2001-03-29
Mobile, AL

Snoopy2 to takeahike

Premium Member

to takeahike
Just installed 16 updates, including 3033929, and after reboot, all is ok. System is win7/64 and running normally after the updates.