wutsinterweb3
End Citizen's United
Premium Member
join:2014-08-26
USA

wutsinterweb3

Premium Member

What processes are RAM intensive?

So I wonder, people here and elsewhere suggest a build based upon parameters that include what softwares and tasks a person will do. Some of those tasks are RAM intensive and will utilize a good amount of Memory but I've wondered what programs are they? Photoshop? CAD? Video Editing (which programs?) I'm underinformed on this topic and would love to learn more. Also, which games are system RAM intensive?

ImpldConsent
Scouts Out
Premium Member
join:2001-03-04
North Port, FL
·Comcast XFINITY

ImpldConsent

Premium Member

said by wutsinterweb3:

So I wonder, people here and elsewhere suggest a build based upon parameters that include what softwares and tasks a person will do. Some of those tasks are RAM intensive and will utilize a good amount of Memory but I've wondered what programs are they? Photoshop? CAD? Video Editing (which programs?) I'm underinformed on this topic and would love to learn more. Also, which games are system RAM intensive?

My guess is that you're talking about a Windows OS? Certainly you picked a few big ones (Photoshop/CAD) that are RAM intensive. Most of 2012+ games are RAM intensive. Not sure if you're looking for a hardware build; however, RAM is now cheaper than ever. My recommendation is an the latest Intel chipset (current x99), a good quad-core (+) processor, as much RAM as your wallet/motherboard can handle, an Nvidia GeForce video card (GTX 960 is a good price point) ... and an SSD for the OS/Programs. I can't emphasize the SSD enough.

I could probably price something, but don't know your budget. A great place to start is »pcpartpicker.com/

Good luck!

wutsinterweb3
End Citizen's United
Premium Member
USA

1 edit

wutsinterweb3

Premium Member

I'm good on the build, just did it, though still need some parts of it, which have to wait. I have 16 GB DDR3 2400 GSKill, and an i5. I was just curious that now, for the first time in over a decade, I have more than enough RAM, is there anything I want to do now that I have it. If I had a DSLR I'd probably be photo editing for sure, I used to be in photography a few decades ago, I know the craft to a decent extent.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian to wutsinterweb3

Premium Member

to wutsinterweb3
said by wutsinterweb3:

What processes are RAM intensive?

Please start with what you want.
I doubt anyone will become a Wikipedia subject to help answer this.

wutsinterweb3
End Citizen's United
Premium Member
USA

wutsinterweb3

Premium Member

I don't know what I want, my apologies, mainly trying to just learn what things affect RAM use and what affects CPU use more. It's a very general question. I don't know of anything I want.
Aranarth
join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI

Aranarth to wutsinterweb3

to wutsinterweb3
It depends on the size of the cpu cache and whether or not the particular peice of code and data will fit into the cache as to weather or not what the cpu is working on is going to stress the ram.

In general if something is working the ram hard it is working the cpu hard though the opposite may not necessarily be true.

The larger the working set the more the ram is going to get worked.

Alternate explanation would be if to complete a hard calculation it required 12mb of data and you only have 4mb of cache your ram is going to get hammered. If you have 3mb of data and 12mb a cache the ram will be barely used at all.

If the entire working set is a 1gig in size but you only need to work on small chunks at a time such as with a database the ram will not be used much except to load and store (update) those small chunks in the larger working set.

Hagar
join:2004-10-31
Sunnyvale, CA

Hagar to wutsinterweb3

to wutsinterweb3
Are you talking about
1) How fast a process is accessing RAM, e.g. speed of the L1,2 and 3 cache is affecting performance
2) How much RAM a process is taking

Photo editing is more of #1 type since the math is simpler. video editing is more a #2 since the calculation are often a bottle neck.
If more CPU/GPU cores does not help then you are probably RAM speed bound if more RAM helps then you are CPU/GPU bound.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian to wutsinterweb3

Premium Member

to wutsinterweb3
said by wutsinterweb3:

I don't know what I want, my apologies, mainly trying to just learn what things affect RAM use and what affects CPU use more.

No need to apologize, you have questions and someone might be able to answer but 1 thing is for sure, how hardware plays today is nothing like the past, generally speaking unless you do serous computation I will be surprised if you top out your hardware resources.
Where as 1gb of ram on XP and a small P4 cpu would top out all the time.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to wutsinterweb3

Premium Member

to wutsinterweb3
For a first approximation, any program whose data is large.

So, all multimedia-at-high-resolution editing for a start.
Virtual machines.
Big databases.
Etc.

wutsinterweb3
End Citizen's United
Premium Member
USA

wutsinterweb3 to norwegian

Premium Member

to norwegian
Thanks guys. It's dumb, but this is the first time I've ever had what seems to be more than enough RAM for my current needs. Before this my AMD setup had 4 GB and I was having a bad time of it, the HD was constantly thrashing, browsers use a lot more RAM than I'd like, and it seems like Chrome uses more than firefox. I can't pay my bills, but I needed this upgrade badly (in my mind) and I'm extremely happy. I honestly can't see how so many people can chose underpowered, under built laptops when a desktop can do so much more for so much less money. I do wish I had a DSLR because I love photography and would have a ball if I did that. Maybe if I get a better job... Is photoshop still the program of choice, and what is there that is free for photo work?

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

1 edit

norwegian

Premium Member

For the photo work, Photoshop seems to be still one of the better software out there but if you want to dream and see what comes of it, drop a line in one of these forums.

»Digital Imaging and Photography
»Digital Imaging and Photography
»Graphics

Much nicer people than grumpy ol' me.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to wutsinterweb3

Premium Member

to wutsinterweb3
said by wutsinterweb3:

I honestly can't see how so many people can chose underpowered, under built laptops when a desktop can do so much more for so much less money

This morning I'm going to be "working from the car dealer" while waiting for a service. My desktop system is a bit too cumbersome to set up in the dealer's waiting room

I'm generally a believer in not putting all my eggs in one basket, so have different computers for different uses. It's not particularly extravagant; the laptop is a 2007 model.