tired_runner
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25
CT
·Frontier FiberOp..

tired_runner

Premium Member

Hulu Desktop integration and Media Center

So I'm exploring the possibility of going all Internet-enabled TV. I've ran a Windows Media Center 7 computer attached to my TV for some time using it as a cable box with CableCARD. This setup works well.

I want to ditch pay TV and just keep the Internet. My plan is to keep Netflix streaming, and also add Hulu Plus to the mix.

After some google searching, enter Hulu Desktop Integration. Perfect solution! Or so I thought.... I even signed up right away for the $8 monthly subscription..... Then this error message starts to happen right after I start watching anything....

Yes... I read the notice that Hulu is no longer supporting Hulu Desktop... Bummer...

Is that the final answer? Or did anyone figure out how to fix this?

TIA

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

dandelion

MVM

According to my read on google.. the paid application is called Hulu Plus, the free version of Hulu Desktop has been discontinued. Since you paid, get the Hulu Plus?
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT

tired_runner

Premium Member

Hulu Plus is a separate app. It doesn't integrate into Windows Media Center like Netflix does.

Because it's a separate app outside Windows Media Center, I can't use the Windows remote control like I do with Netflix within Windows Media Center.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by tired_runner:

Because it's a separate app outside Windows Media Center, I can't use the Windows remote control like I do with Netflix within Windows Media Center.

Is the ultimate goal just to be able to use a remote? Or is it to never leave WMC no matter what?
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT

tired_runner

Premium Member

Ultimate goal is to operate the HTPC like before; with the remote control.

So far from what I've tested, you can't do that in Hulu Plus.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

I took a look at my old standby (my HTPC hasn't been up and running over a year now) Intellitremote and it doesn't look like there are any web browser profiles for it -- which doesn't mean you couldn't create one yourself. However, after a very quick try, I couldn't see how to control Hulu in a browser with just the keyboard which (IIRC) would be necessary to make Intelliremote work.

It's really too bad about Hulu Desktop, I recall using it mostly successfully about 6 months ago but today, it wouldn't make it past 15 seconds of the first commercial...

I've moved on to Roku 3s which has worked well for our viewing needs.
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT

tired_runner

Premium Member

Hulu Desktop works with the remote just the way I need it to. I can search the shows and play them with the remote only. Netflix does the same with the WMC app.

Too bad it quits working moments into anything that's playing.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

Yup, I know, I used to use Hulu Desktop all the time from my old HTPC...

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to tired_runner

MVM

to tired_runner
I don't have a fix for you unfortunately.

I'll just say that before HuluDesktop I used "PlayOn" software and an add-on for Media Center. I was never really interested in Hulu Plus though only the free version.

I don't much use Hulu anymore either way but there are all sorts of options to access Hulu Plus and Netflix. I have a Amazon FireTV Stick, a ChromeCast and a Roku. I also have a new 4K Smart TV which can access most of the same streaming services through user installable applications from the App Store.

If your cutting the cord with respect to cable TV that act alone has removed much of the functionality of a Media Center PC.