uniqs
DaveH1
join:2013-07-13
Hamburg, NY

DaveH1 to fcfc2

to fcfc2

Re: No CableCARDs at Verizon FiOS TV?

said by wmcfan:

I do not doubt that most of these representatives probably believe what they are told but someone higher up is passing the "kool-aid" on with a purpose in mind. The purpose I believe is fairly transparent, Verizon makes a lot more profit from renting their equipment than from renting a cablecard.

The real problem is that the CSRs only know what is on their script. CableCARDs are not adequately covered in those scripts because they are not a typical request. Thus the CSR is left to the limited knowledge that he has - which usually leads to incorrect responses.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to wmcfan

to wmcfan
Are you guys doing chat or getting offshore folks when this happens?

It's clear chat is offshore (from how they use language) and they are pretty much stick to the script, but when I call in I normally get a call center in long island, and those people are able to think outside the box, esp because I get a little Tasmanian during renew time.

As for field, they are the best and really know their stuff. Some are a little sketchy on CC, but there is one guy in my area that knows CC cold and he can fix anything by looking at it.
sonofsmog
join:2003-09-09
Ontario, CA

sonofsmog to wmcfan

to wmcfan
You can just order them right on the website. I have 3.
wmcfan
join:2015-03-15

wmcfan

Update: I went to a local Verizon store and a rep there told me I can order the deal online and after I have it installed and activated, I can trade in one of the set top boxes for a CableCARD and that's what I did. Everything is working now, install was pretty easy. Verizon store reps were easy to work with.

I have to say Verizon has a good troubleshooting system, at least for basic issues. One of my three set top boxes had a communication error. After making sure there nothing wrong with my house wiring--by checking with a known good box--I call the phone number that was shown on the TV screen. The call was automated, I just had to enter the codes shown on the screen and Verizon re-initialized at there end and pushed out some updates and the I think the latest firmware. The only thing that might confuse some people is the updates take more than the few seconds that the Verizon recording was giving it. It took probably 15 to 20 minutes. And I had to power-cycle it after that and it worked. No waiting on the phone for a live rep needed in my case.

I am using the CableCARD with a HDHomerun Prime 3 tuner box and it set up pretty easily too, except it's card activation utility would not communicate with the card. I ran the Windows Media Center tuner setup--stated up automatically after I started WMC the first time after installing the card and HDHomerun software. WMC tuner setup had no issue communicating with the card and gave the numbers I needed for activating the card with Verizon. Thanks again for everyone who posted to help.

PS - one poster above said he was able to order online, but I checked before posting this, and it is definitely not an option to order a card online in my area so maybe this is region-specific.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

aaronwt

Premium Member

When I check online there is an option to add a cable card to your account. Although the last time I had them send me a cable card, they sent me another Actiontec router instead. Fortunately there is a FiOS store located five minutes from me.
TonyD79
join:2010-04-08
Ellicott City, MD

TonyD79 to wmcfan

to wmcfan
I have been setting things up via on-line and closing the deal (getting equipment, returns) via store about 3 miles away. The store personnel have been better than the on-phone people.