uniqs
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

[Other] HP Sprout: any good?

In my web travels looking for a new computer, I ran across the HP Sprout. It's a desktop PC running Windows 8.1 with multiple cameras and a touch pad that can do some pretty impressive graphics work.

Any thoughts or feedback on it? It retails for under $2K, but I'm not sure if the value is there for the technology.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· f_lHxPdE
XXXXXXXXXXX1

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

I'm a bit surprised no one here has used one. It seems like a very useful machine for creative arts purposes. I may try to see one for myself and give it a try.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to XXXXXXXXXXX1

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
It's an interesting form factor, what with the projector and kinect/camera built in... I've not seen one in real life yet... sorta wish it was from anyone other than HP.

The "sprout" ui/software driver/addon is required to make this sort of thing work... as windows 8.1 has no concept of this "input setup" so you will always have to live with HP maintained software on your machine.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by dib22:

The "sprout" ui/software driver/addon is required to make this sort of thing work... as windows 8.1 has no concept of this "input setup" so you will always have to live with HP maintained software on your machine.

Cautionary tale: they did something similar back in the Windows 7 days with their touch screen desktops -- they provided the TouchSmart software which was updated regularly though later versions would only run (or install easily) on newer hardware. And then when Windows 8 came out, they abandoned their own touch software, which was a shame because it was a lot more "fun" than MS's

I've had a preference for HP hardware for a long time now (nearly 10 years) but I can live with their business approach which is they actively support their hardware and any accompanying software for about 2 years and then the customer is pretty much on their own. But having said that, it's likely that my next all-in-one desktop will be an iMac...