Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

1 edit

FureverFurry

Premium Member

[E-mail] Problems configuring email client & receive woes

Click for full size
I tried following the instructions from another thread about configuring Vista WinMail for Comcast but seems I've still got something wrong for my outgoing mail.

Would someone kindly help me with this (screenshots of my settings) -- please ? Thanks very much in advance. The dent on your screen is where I have been banging my head .

EDIT TO ADD: when I log in to webmail, it shows ALL of my messages back to 2004. Space allocation is only 6% used. HOWEVER, only 634 of my 5,834 messages will pull into Vista WinMail this time. I have it ticked to leave a copy of the messages on the server.

Is Comcast having issues ? Did they lose my emails again like in 2011 ? Thanks.
westdc
join:2009-01-25
Amissville, VA

westdc

Re: [E-mail] Problems configuring email client - help, please

Try- Incoming 995- outgoing - 465

FureverFurry
RIP Daphne: 3/12/05 - 6/19/12
Premium Member
join:2012-02-20
49xxx

FureverFurry

Premium Member

said by westdc:

Try- Incoming 995- outgoing - 465

Thanks but no joy. Same darned error message. :-(
westdc
Amissville, VA

westdc

Outgoing -Server -(CHECK) Requires Auth

FureverFurry
Premium Member
49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

FureverFurry

Premium Member

said by westdc:

Outgoing -Server -(CHECK) Requires Auth

Thanks - that did "it" for receiving. But now I have a new problem: I have 5,834 messages in my email account. Just verified they are all there via the Comcast webmail. But -- WinMail stopped downloading after 376 !!

Now what, please ? Or is Comcast having issues again ? Thanks.
westdc
Amissville, VA

westdc

Things you might try - is check remove from server after down load (then change it back) after retrieving them all -That will let you see the comcast server # drop? No issue's I'm aware of - also you may have exceded the C server space even thou they SHow up?

That's all I got

FureverFurry
Premium Member
49xxx

FureverFurry

Premium Member

My allocation (according to Comcast webmail is 6% used). I've got emails from 2004 that I can't risk losing. Yet only 634 will pull in, of the 5834.

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

If you can't risk losing emails, you shouldn't be relying on an ISP to keep them for you.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to FureverFurry

MVM

to FureverFurry
said by FureverFurry:

My allocation (according to Comcast webmail is 6% used). I've got emails from 2004 that I can't risk losing. Yet only 634 will pull in, of the 5834.

If your intent is to store your email on the server, POP3 is the wrong tool for the job. The older email which is not being pulled in has been marked as already downloaded, so won't be downloaded again.

The correct tool for keeping email on the server is IMAP. If you wish to explore IMAP, keep in mind that IMAP is based on synchronization. What you delete locally will be deleted on the server, and vice versa. While port 993 is wrong for POP3 (S/B 995), it is correct for IMAP (along with SSL).

Windows Live Mai (similar to Windows Mail).

Jordan_Ro
join:2009-02-09

2 recommendations

Jordan_Ro to FureverFurry

to FureverFurry
Agreeing with NormanS here. IMAP is the better solution for syncing your email and leaving them on the server so they're accessible through Xfinity Connect and any mobile devices you may have. IMAP setting are located here: »customer.comcast.com/hel ··· y-email/

FureverFurry
Premium Member
49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

1 edit

FureverFurry

Premium Member

said by Jordan_Ro:

IMAP is the better solution for syncing your email and leaving them on the server so they're accessible through Xfinity Connect and any mobile devices you may have.

Okay, but what is the reason please for my emails stopping at #633 (26 July 2014) out of the 5834 emails ? NOTE: This happens with Thunderbird as well.

Also, I tried two of my secondary accounts that have about 3,000 emails each and they both downloaded just fine into WinMail. It's my PRIMARY account that seems to be buggered as - again - even Thunderbird will only pull in 633/5834 messages.

Any idea of what's going on with my Primary account? Thanks.
FureverFurry

FureverFurry to graysonf

Premium Member

to graysonf
said by graysonf:

If you can't risk losing emails, you shouldn't be relying on an ISP to keep them for you.

That's what I was trying to do: hard drive died and was trying to import those emails again. Didn't help that my so-called backups were unreadable. I had been keeping my emails on my hard drive.
westdc
Amissville, VA

1 recommendation

westdc

Sorry for your loss

Jordan_Ro
join:2009-02-09

1 recommendation

Jordan_Ro to FureverFurry

to FureverFurry
said by FureverFurry:

Okay, but what is the reason please for my emails stopping at #633 (26 July 2014) out of the 5834 emails ? NOTE: This happens with Thunderbird as well.

The messages are marked as "downloaded" on the server so they won't download again. All instructions I could find for Windows Live Mail (like this one »smallbusiness.chron.com/ ··· 086.html) require you to remove and re-add the account. For Thunderbird I found these instructions:

Help > Troubleshooting Information
click on 'Show Folder' button
a new window opens showing your Profile folder
Close Thunderbird now
click on 'Mail' folder
click on the 'mail account name'
scroll down and locate 'popstate.dat' a DAT File.
Delete 'popstate.dat'
close the window - top right X