Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

Alpha Phoenix to TheBionic

Premium Member

to TheBionic

Re: woohoo bloodborne here I come

said by TheBionic:

said by justin:

I spent too long in the character builder then ended up with nothing much to show for it

Yeah most of the armor completely covers the character so that deep facial customization tool is wasted IMO. The body types didn't even seem that different. All I can currently see on my character are the glasses I picked out. Of course that may change with different armor sets

That's how I felt about Destiny. Spent all that time customizing my character, to only be able to see him in The Tower.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic to justin

Premium Member

to justin
I had a great run last night, must have played for an hour and a half or so without dying (I died a LOT before and after that though). I explored as much of Central Yharnam as I could find, took it slow and didn't get cocky. Made it to the second boss and came within an inch of his health bar of beating him at level 15 on my first try. In the end he killed me. I lost a metric ton of blood echoes (souls) and kicked myself in the ass for not returning to the Dream and levelling up when I unlocked the shortcut right before the boss. Although to be fair I had no idea the boss was around the next corner. Won't make that mistake again.

After that I was forced to farm souls in order to repair my badly damaged axe. I died way more farming than I did actually progressing through the level. By the time I did that and levelled a bit it was pretty late and I had to log off.

As frustrating as dying is the game really is addictive so far. Level design is great and it's a lot of fun to explore everything. The further you go, the more blood echoes you acquire, and the more tense battles become as a result. Looking forward to this weekend when I'll have a little more time to really delve in.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!

Goggalor

Premium Member

Serious question: who do you talk to in order to level up? When I return to the Dream, Gherman isn't there and the doll does nothing (still). Granted, I have not made it far in the game (barely got past the area with the extremely large group of peasants) and I started out as a "Waste of Skin", but just seems weird that I have not seen the person whom I give the blood echoes to for POWAH!.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

1 edit

TheBionic

Premium Member

said by Goggalor:

Serious question: who do you talk to in order to level up? When I return to the Dream, Gherman isn't there and the doll does nothing (still). Granted, I have not made it far in the game (barely got past the area with the extremely large group of peasants) and I started out as a "Waste of Skin", but just seems weird that I have not seen the person whom I give the blood echoes to for POWAH!.

The doll comes to life after you beat the first boss.

EDIT: By the way I am nervous about fucking my build up. AFAIK there's no respec in this game. Since there's only 6 stats to level IIRC I'll just focus on str, vitality and skill (in that order) for a good STR build and see how that does.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28
Billion BiPAC 7800N
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

1 recommendation

justin

Mod

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· s_digest

useful.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
Your Mind!

Goggalor to TheBionic

Premium Member

to TheBionic
Thanks Rod.

I was wanting to play a little more last night, but bought a new SSD to put in my PS4 to help with overall load times for any and all games on it. Problem being that I could not get the PS4 to recognize an old SanDisk 4GB thumb drive that I had sitting around in order to install the system software.

Luckily, I have another thumb drive laying around at work that I can try tonight. *crosses fingers and toes, does a little jig, and says a little prayer*

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic to justin

Premium Member

to justin
said by Goggalor:

Thanks Rod.

No problemo! By the way I hate the second boss. He probably killed me 10 times last night and I had to log before I finally beat him. I had him down to a sliver of health the last couple of times so tonight he is going DOWN lol. He is so friggin quick. Hanging out with the missus last night my mind was very much occupied with the game I just turned off. Don't tell her that!

I have been meaning to buy an SSD for my PC and still haven't gotten around to it. That is weird, I wonder why the PS4 wouldn't recognize the thumb drive?

I'm hoping a patch shortens the load times in BB soon, and makes the specters visible. My only two gripes with the game so far. I've heard there are some frame rate dips but I'm not that far in and haven't encountered any yet.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

1 recommendation

Selenia to justin

Premium Member

to justin
Ok guys, you sold me I just dropped by the store and bought it. Unfortunately, I have to go to work before I start playing. I do have the weekend off though

SunnyDays
join:2015-03-24
Ireland

SunnyDays to Goggalor

to Goggalor
sounds amazing man, got me excited because I love dark souls, not that I was any good at it :P

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28

3 recommendations

justin

Mod

i was showing/watching gravity to my kids and there was that bit where bullock loses it after finding the soviet propellant tank empty.
That was exactly how I felt at certain points in this game. Rage. at myself mainly.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic to justin

Premium Member

to justin
I honestly think this is the best of the series. The regen system keeps you attacking when you want to run, it is pretty great. You guys are going to love it I think.

I'm still paying the price for not levelling up when I had the chance. I lost like 5,000 blood echoes that would probably have gotten me up around level 20, which I see around the web is the recommended level for taking on the second boss. I am still level 17 which might be why I haven't quite beat him yet, well that and I am not good enough lol. It is possible to farm those souls back but it is time consuming and there is always the chance you will zig when you should have zagged and have to start over again. My new policy is to go back and level every time I unlock a shortcut.
Nerve
join:2010-01-04
Raleigh, NC

Nerve

I picked this up Tuesday and have never played a Souls game before. This game is tough!! I knew what I was getting into, so I'm not going to complain about that at all. I think the game is built on the idea that you already know what you are doing. That sucks for me and people like me.

Luckily, I saw a dude doing a stream about a week before it came out so I learned a little bit... like luring enemies away. I've put about only 2-3 hours in and still in the first section of the game. I've made it past the early part with the beast beating on the door.

The game is unforgiving and might not be for me... and that's totally fine. I just don't think I will have the time to keep replaying the same part over and over until I can figure out exactly what to do. I started off with the Milquetoast class and the saw cleaver. I might restart with a different class and weapon before tapping out.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

Yeah, they are rough.
said by Nerve:

I think the game is built on the idea that you already know what you are doing.

Not really, they have all been like that since the first. No instruction, no guidance, just 'You Died' over and over and over. They do require a big time commitment and lots of patience which is why I've never finished one. So far this one is my favorite in the series so maybe I'll finally get through one. I played for two hours last night and made very little progress. They are not for everyone that is for sure.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

Karl Bode

News Guy

Gah I really want to play this but I'm having a hard time finding a five hour block of time where I can properly dedicate myself to getting relentlessly frustrated. I also now have Pillars of Eternity, Borderlands 2, GTA V Heists, and that SimCity clone everyone is raving about staring me in the face. Entirely unfair.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

said by Karl Bode:

I also now have Pillars of Eternity

That one is tempting me as well. I am going to hold off for a while though.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
Your Mind!

Goggalor

Premium Member

How far did you all get over the weekend? I was able to down the first two bosses and get to a new area with a lamp. I'm vague as I'm trying not to put spoilers in.

Cleric Beast and Father Gasciogne (I probably butchered that) downed and I made it to Old Yharnam.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

I didn't get as much time to play over the weekend as I had hoped, but on Saturday I finally beat Father Gascoigne (I borrowed your spelling) and made it to the third boss. Unfortunately the joys of homeownership took the rest of my weekend so I haven't had time to really delve into that fight yet. I was really impressed with the level design again. Can't wait to get home to play more.
TheBionic

TheBionic

Premium Member

By the way what weapon are you using? I'm in love with the Kirkhammer. It combines quick sword attacks with awesome heavy blows you can feel in your gut. Plus it looks so cool on your back.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
Your Mind!

Goggalor

Premium Member

said by TheBionic:

By the way what weapon are you using? I'm in love with the Kirkhammer. It combines quick sword attacks with awesome heavy blows you can feel in your gut. Plus it looks so cool on your back.

That is also what I just started using right before company showed up yesterday, so I have not had much practice with it. I'm still using the Hunter Pistol for my ranged slot, as that interrupt is so helpful and fun when you pull it off correctly.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

I am using the shotgun for its CC abilities with groups of enemies but that is hard to pull off on the fly. The visceral attack is great and pretty easy with a little practice.

I had upgraded the starting axe a couple of times to where it was stronger than the starting kirkhammer but have since upgraded the kirkhammer three times. The heavy attacks are awesome to look at and do a ton of damage but are so slow and can really get you into trouble if you're not careful. Of course that's true of anything in this game. They do have their place though.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
Your Mind!

Goggalor

Premium Member

There's just something so satisfying about pulling off a visceral attack on a Brick Brute.

Sovrin
join:2014-11-01
Canada

Sovrin to justin

to justin
I picked this up a few days ago. My experience with From's games so far is up to Blighttown on Dark Souls, and ...somewhere not far in on DS2.

I quite literally spent my first hour to and hour and a half of the game with no weapon...

I killed the first wolf thing with my bare hands, and proceeded to slowly pummel my way through enemies as carefully as I could up until around the bonfire with the...way too many guys where I promptly died.

Overall, this game feels more reactive, and I really feel myself getting into it and just after handling the first few bosses, finding ways around the map...I look forward to spending my blood echoes so I can be alittle more suicidal and explore without losing them all!

Weapons I use is the starting cleaver or the saw spear, and the pistol or torch.
Nerve
join:2010-01-04
Raleigh, NC

Nerve to Goggalor

to Goggalor
I finally defeated the cleric beast this evening after a week of wrestling with this game and trying to figure out what I was doing. I wasted a few hours because I didn't know that I had to fight the beast to be able to level up or even how to level up. Then I dropped levels into the incorrect upgrade. I ended up grinding to level up to 15 or 16 to increase my health some and to be able to defeat him because I don't have the dodging/parry skills. I chose the Milquetoast class so it was a little low (stat-wise) for me because I don't know what I'm doing. It's rough and a real learning process, but I think I'm on my way now. I think I'm about to purchase the Kirkhammer.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
Your Mind!

Goggalor

Premium Member

said by Nerve:

I finally defeated the cleric beast this evening after a week of wrestling with this game and trying to figure out what I was doing. I wasted a few hours because I didn't know that I had to fight the beast to be able to level up or even how to level up. Then I dropped levels into the incorrect upgrade. I ended up grinding to level up to 15 or 16 to increase my health some and to be able to defeat him because I don't have the dodging/parry skills. I chose the Milquetoast class so it was a little low (stat-wise) for me because I don't know what I'm doing. It's rough and a real learning process, but I think I'm on my way now. I think I'm about to purchase the Kirkhammer.

-I didn't know that I had to beat the first boss to level either. Milquetoast isn't that bad stat-wise, especially if you're planning to do PvP, as the Arcane stat seems to be pretty beneficial for endgame PvP.

-Once you get the parry down, it is ridiculously awesome. DAT... VISCERAL... ATTACK...

-If you're planning on going a str/arcane build, Kirkhammer is a nice weapon to go with. However, I will forewarn you that the trick version of it (the 2h version (L1)) is veeeeery slow and takes getting used to.

Spoiler Time! Eff the Hunter of Hunters in Old Yharnam. S/he is so quick, the shotgun s/he has it ridiculously powerful, s/he has a very small parry window, and, on top of all of that, has some high physical defense, making your physical hits do less than half. However, I love the area, so that's a plus... I guess.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

A good strategy for that hunter that I found is to stay back on the stairs behind the fence and let him come to you. He wants to stay in his little courtyard but will come after you. You can get some good hits in before he retreats, and the fence serves to block his gunfire and gives you plenty of time to heal. Also how did you deal with the hunter with the gatling gun? He fell off the tower and died for me.

Also I only played for an hour or so last night, I was super tired, and I didn't get past the third boss yet. It is frustrating because it doesn't seem like a hard boss fight but I can't quite pull it off yet. I've only tried like three times though so practice makes perfect I guess. I went up against the 2nd boss many times before he finally went down lol.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
Your Mind!

Goggalor

Premium Member

The Gatling Gun Hunter was whom I typing about. I did one attempt on him (her?) as a friend came over. There might be some time tonight after I exercise and before the same friend comes over again to do another attempt on the hunter.

I haven't even gotten to the third boss to do attempts on it, but seeing as how the second boss went, practice will be needed.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

The biggest pain to me about the boss fights is that you have to run back through a gauntlet of enemies each time. Granted you can usually just hold sprint and get past them but it's still a pain if you have to do it 20 times, periodically farming blood echoes to replenish your health pots/antidotes.

The gatling gun hunter rolled herself right off the platform as soon as I climbed the ladder, and doesn't respawn. Easiest miniboss ever! :P

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
Your Mind!

Goggalor

Premium Member

said by TheBionic:

The gatling gun hunter rolled herself right off the platform as soon as I climbed the ladder, and doesn't respawn. Easiest miniboss ever! :P

Lucky bastage.
Goggalor

Goggalor

Premium Member

Welp, finally downed the Djaura (the Gatling Gun Hunter) last night. I managed to back him to the edge and then three-hit combo him to finally push over and to his death. Apparently, you can befriend him later on when you come back after defeating either the fifth or sixth boss, which will net you the Powder Keg badge that he would drop when you killed him, but also get you the 'Brush Dust Off' gesture.

After that, the rest of the area was pretty easy and I parked myself in front of the third boss before hitting the hay. I will give the boss a few chances after work.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

Did the other hunter give you any trouble, the one in the little courtyard with the crows? It took me 2 or 3 times to beat him but nothing too hard. I didn't play at all last night because I didn't have a lot of time. I find myself not wanting to log in if I don't have 3-4 hours of straight playing time available, at least when I'm stuck at a boss. I feel like I will just waste my time throwing myself at a brick wall then be rusty again the next time I log in and have to get used to the mechanics all over again. Thankfully I should have a lot of time starting tomorrow night!