All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
theruckman
join:2003-03-19
Lancaster, OH

theruckman

NVG589 issues with IP camera sys - UPDATE - HELP!

I followed the instructions on how to put the NVG58 into bridge mode, all went pretty well. I have the NVG gateway xxx.xxx.0.254 and my Asus RT-N66U router for the CCTV sys gateway xxx.xxx.1.254, again all good EXCEPT their WIRELESS ATT STBs! The Asus DOES support multicast, enabled this, all WIRED TVs seem to be doing OK, but the wireless ones wil not find gateway. I DO NOT want to use the NVG wireless if I dont have to! Suggestions?

Need help asap

Scott

iRob
join:2014-08-19
Mckinney, TX

iRob

Are you connecting the Wireless STB to the asus router or to the WAP, which then connected to asus router?
theruckman
Lancaster, OH

theruckman

Connecting to Asus

iRob
Mckinney, TX

iRob

Is it connected to the 5GHz wireless band of the asus through WPS?
Do you have IGMP snooping enabled on the wireless settings of the asus? Should look like this »qs.lc/q3hp5
theruckman
Lancaster, OH

theruckman

No on both. And ever since I enabled multi stream my wifi connection on laptop has been sporadic
theruckman

theruckman

When I enable snooping some of the hardline ethernet STB start freezing up....stop start deal too.
WELL reboot semed to fix that....I just need it to NOT mes up after I leave! argh

Another heads up: I have ONE CAT5e run to a MBR prety far away, I needed a WIFI AP there for my wireless IP cams, their smart TV, and the wireles att box worked fine with that AP was plugged into the NVG589.....but does not seem to be working on the Asus....just another update

iRob
Mckinney, TX

iRob

The asus can be put on AP mode if you just need it be an AP, but that would have to be in the same subnet as the NVG589. Are the wired STB's being connected to this router that is far away?
theruckman
Lancaster, OH

theruckman

I am just trying to separate the CCTV sys from the NVG as much as possible or entirely. I can do the AP mode sure and make same subnet as long as you think that will make the sys act better. My original post a while back is just assuming the CCTV sys was weighing done the NVG bigtime and messing up their TV service sometimes, then also take ten years to program the NVG and att tech comes out and defaults it!

So million dollar question: if I put the Asus in ap mode can I still use it to port forward all my cam ports etc. Take NVG out of bridge, back as "normal" and only have to open port for the Asus IP I make for it?

iRob
Mckinney, TX
MikroTik RB3011 UiAS-RM
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
ARRIS SB6183

2 edits

iRob

The nvg will control all the port forwarding still. AP mode is like a switch for wireless devices, so all routing and firewall is disabled and the nvg pretty much does it. On IP pass through mode is where the Asus firewall would control all port forwarding, so it seems like you're probably going to need the IP pass through mode on the nvg and leave wireless router mode on. Are you doing this because of the nvg opening up ports for the TV service?

EDIT: I went to go look at your previous thread to get a better understanding. To what it seems on your other thread, the NVG589 had issues where it crashed and you had pixelation on TV. Now you have the issue of the wireless STB's not wanting to connect to your asus router.

My suggestion is keep it in IP-Passthrough, if you can, connect the wired STB's to the NVG589 (they will still work connected to it), and if possible, you could connect the wireless STB's via ethernet as well. If the wireless STB's can't connect to the 5GHz band on your asus via WPS, I could only think of getting the WAP for the wireless STB's and connecting it to your NVG589 and just letting them be, but then you would probably have to either disable the 5GHz band on the asus or change its channel. If you can keep the STB's all connected to the NVG589 and the rest of your devices connected to the asus, it shouldn't be a Problem I would think.

I wrote the earlier part of this post on a tablet during class so I couldn't get much of my thoughts out.
muegen
join:2015-02-08
tx

muegen to theruckman

to theruckman
Why not just leave the WAP and wired stbs in the nvg589, and let all other 'internet' traffic be passed to your asus router (or just the cctv setup). Unless you want to do some heavy config on the asus, leave att equip on the 589.
theruckman
Lancaster, OH

theruckman

@irob and @muegen yea I actually got EVERYTHING running fine except ONE ATT wireless box that HAS to be wireless, no way around it, MBR, very important box, just sucked, got so close, put all back the way it was. Here is the crazy thing that probably messed me up: at time of install I installed an amped wireless WIFI AP in the MBR, no where near the STB, but the STB worked just fine off of it...BUT coming out of the NVG to the Asus THEN to the WIFI AP, it would not talk to it....maybe I could have figured it out but just gave up....so anyway when it came down to it I got OH SO close....anyway, just hoping for the best in the future.

thx for all the help!

Scott

iRob
Mckinney, TX
MikroTik RB3011 UiAS-RM
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
ARRIS SB6183

iRob

OHHHH This entire time I thought the AP that was with the MBR was the asus router. So you have one wireless STB working off WiFi but the other isn't? At least you got 2 out of 3 STB's, does your AP have any switchports? There's wireless routers when put on AP mode, it will function just like an AP and the switchport can be used like a switch (if the other AP is anywhere near it at all)