spc
Search similar:

uniqs
alarson83
join:2007-01-06
West Des Moines, IA

alarson83

annual notice to mediacom

to turn up the bitrate on trutv for march madness.

may not need it most of the year, but come tourney time every year it seems that the channel struggles with fast motion due to a lower bitrate, until mediacom corrects it after complaints.

Given ISU is one of the first games on this channel, if someone at mediacom could kick something up the chain early that would be great.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

alarson83 See Profile, I will be happy to look into this and see if we can get it addressed for you. If you have any other questions, let me know.
alarson83
West Des Moines, IA

alarson83

watching hampton-manhattan now on trutv

Its pretty obvious the bitrate on this is still set low every time there's fast motion. Noticing it every time there's a run out in transition.

Bierboy
join:2008-08-07
East Moline, IL

Bierboy to alarson83

to alarson83
This problem isn't limited to TruTV....I see blurriness/pixelation when watching hockey on CSN/NBC/ NBCSN any time they zoom in on a skater....it's horrible.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad to alarson83

Premium Member

to alarson83
alarson83 See Profile & Bierboy See Profile, is this happening on HD & SD?
alarson83
West Des Moines, IA

alarson83

Ive only watched on HD

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Thanks! I had assumed this was in reference to the HD feeds but I wanted to be sure. I'm opening some additional correspondence with field management and the headend tech so the more information I have, the better. I'm also going to try to monitor some games tonight when I can to see if I can catch some real-time examples to forward on. I'll keep things updated here as I hear more from these additional parties!

Bierboy
East Moline, IL

Bierboy to MediacomChad

to MediacomChad
Same here...only HD. Mostly on CSN, but I think on NBCSN too....Blackhawks game is on NBCSN tonight at 7 p.m. CDT.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Thanks for that information! I'll be sure to keep you posted here.
MediacomChad

1 edit

Premium Member

to alarson83
We had a representative at my office monitor this last night as well as the head end tech and we did not see any problem with the tournament or any kind of stutters during fast motion. Did anyone here notice any problems?
alarson83
West Des Moines, IA

alarson83

I was able to notice it. A clear drop in quality during fast motion or quick camera panning.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

What game were you watching and what channel, just to make sure we are on the same page?
alarson83
West Des Moines, IA

alarson83

The NCAA games on TruTV.

I should have it back on that channel here soon...

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Are you using a TiVo or other DVR equipment? Could you record a game for me so we can have a copy to see why we can't catch what you are seeing?
alarson83
West Des Moines, IA

alarson83

Yeah, i'll record.

Also i dont know what effect its having but im sure the pixelization is that more evident on larger TVs, depending on what tv yall were all watching on (ive got a 65" here)

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Okay, thank you. I have a few techs looking at this from different size TV's, so should be able to see it if it is happening at the head end. Let me know when you see it happen please!
wth
Premium Member
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA

wth to alarson83

Premium Member

to alarson83
said by alarson83:

I was able to notice it. A clear drop in quality during fast motion or quick camera panning.

I see the same here watching CBS 802 (good) and TRU TV (869). Trutv pixelates in close up fast action, much more than CBS. Watching on 60" Samsung.
alarson83
West Des Moines, IA

alarson83

I think its getting worse. Something really ugly just happened on the screen.

Bierboy
East Moline, IL

1 edit

Bierboy to alarson83

to alarson83
Chad, I was watching the Blackhawks game on NBCSN last night and saw it a bit. But it's much more pronounced on CSN. Next time they carry a Hawks game is this Saturday night, 7 p.m. CDT.
OldCableGuy (banned)
join:2014-12-19

OldCableGuy (banned) to wth

to wth
Assuming your profile is correct and you're from IC, then 802 would be KGAN, I was watching OTA and their signal looked clear and sharp no pixelation OTA. It has gone down slightly since they added 2.2 GRIT I think, but not bad at all.

Must be something Mediacom is causing. I don't have pay TV so can't comment.
wth
Premium Member
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA

wth

Premium Member

said by OldCableGuy:

Assuming your profile is correct and you're from IC, then 802 would be KGAN, I was watching OTA and their signal looked clear and sharp no pixelation OTA. It has gone down slightly since they added 2.2 GRIT I think, but not bad at all.

One thing about KGAN is since it also operates KFXA in the same studio, Sinclair has permission from CBS to convert CBS from 1080i to 720p, so all their equipment in the studio is the same output (720P) as KFXA. Don't really notice a problem with KGAN (802) but was just using it to compare TRU TV.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

Premium Member

to alarson83
Thanks for the updates. I'm still digging into this with our head end techs and management. Once I have a solid update from them I will let everyone know.
implode
join:2009-09-06
Columbia, MO

implode to alarson83

to alarson83
I just wanted to state, I've been having this issue on Tru TV HD as long I've gotten the channel in Columbia, MO. I don't watch a lot of things on the channel but during march madness is really really noticable. Fast sports look like crap--very choppy.

I have a 40" Samsung, and its an issue....

Bierboy
East Moline, IL

Bierboy to alarson83

to alarson83
I noticed the blurriness/chopiness again on NBCSN during last night's hockey game....

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Thanks for letting me know Bierboy See Profile, we are still looking into the issue. Once I hear back with the plan I'll let you know.
MediacomChad

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Hello Bierboy See Profile and alarson83 See Profile, could you send me an IM with your TV's make, model number, and refresh rate? I'm trying to gather all the information I can in regards to this issue. I hope to hear from you soon.
dwiecking
join:2002-10-28
Bethany Beach, DE

dwiecking to alarson83

to alarson83
I'm definitely seeing this on tonight's Triple Coverage. TruTV HD feed is pixelating rather often. Having different issues with TBS-HD; drastically changing audio levels and video dropouts. TNT-HD is rock solid, but I can't stand either Duke or UK, so am putting up with TruTV.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

dwiecking See Profile, can you PM me your TV's make, model number, and refresh rate?