Search similar:

uniqs

SysOp
join:2001-04-18
Atlanta, GA

4 edits

SysOp

[Review] Lycamobile Plus Speedtest

Let me start by saying how I use Google Voice to forward my calls making it easy to change out SIM cards monthly while maintaining the same phone number. I typically find deals for pre-loaded SIM cards around $20 on ebay for unlimited talk, text, 500mb-1GB LTE then 128kbps throttle from Lycamobile or Ultra Mobile. These are the ones that can be activated online directly through the MVNO, do not expire or require activation through the eBay dealer to get the funds/data.

Lycamobile is based in the UK and had roaming agreements with T-Mobile meaning the non-plus SIM cards were actually roaming inside the USA, sending all the data back to the UK as the jumping off point rather than right here in the USA. It's this high latency that kept me from considering them until recently when Lycamobile changed from being just roaming partners, to being a T-Mobile MVNO. This is where their new "Plus" SIM cards come in.

Their $23 plan for unlimted talk, text, 100mb LTE data w/128kpbs throttle is worth mentioning if you plan on keeping the same SIM card every month and don't need much full speed data. Additional full speed data is $5 for 500mb. If you are a heavy data user, then Harbor Mobile or Metropcs might be a better option for you.

I found email, web, navigation, apps all worked ok even at 128kbps throttle thanks in part to the very low latency when testing the throttle on Ultra. I expect similar results from Lycamobile in the event I use all 750mb.

$20 for unlimited talk, text, mms, 750mb then 128kbps LTE is a good value for me.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22

said by SysOp:

Let me start by saying how I use Google Voice to forward my calls making it easy to change out SIM cards monthly while maintaining the same phone number.

I have done this since it was called GrandCentral... it is pretty liberating being able to use any provider/phone at will isn't it.

They sound like a great value, sadly I am out of tmobiles range daily, so it wouldn't be much use to me (well I would have voice but data stays well below 128k all the time on the towers that I can reach, not to mention you are basically broadcasting every conversation, due to the weaknesses built into 2G gsm).

SysOp
Atlanta, GA

3 edits

SysOp

Very liberating.

$11.10 on Amazon shipped for the $39 plan preloaded sim.

First time with this seller. With ebay I always got a tracking number since the shipping label was the postage too. Not sure with Amazon 3rd party if it's the same way.

brg
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL

brg

Premium Member

@SysOp, thanks for this information. What you suggest is something that I keep intending to try out. I, too, use GV forwarding to my cell, so it doesn't matter what the underlying number is. Right now I am using the PagePlus TnT1200 plan, which I get for under $26 because of my PP dealer status and I never come close to using the provided minutes/texts/data. Full Verizon network, roaming available for extra cost per call if I need it, and LTE. The data speed is throttled to 5M/3M but that doesn't seem to be an issue at all, really, on a mobile device. Heck, not too long ago I had 6M/.5M DSL home Internet and I though it was speedy. My phone will handle GSM carriers as well as CDMA, so I want to tinker with Lyca or PTel or similar, but haven't yet pulled the trigger so as to save the couple of bucks a month.

Who was the seller for your most recent SIM purchase?

SysOp
Atlanta, GA

SysOp

I'll find out when I get home and PM you.

Wow, that's a great value! Sounds like you have the best of both worlds. Nexus 6?

For a phone, I really don't need any more than 4mbps. For me, it's about latency.