dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Cubytus
join:2007-08-24

Cubytus

Stutterring on YouTube videos, how to solve it?

Hello there,

since months, I noticed that Youtube videos always stutter, even at standard definition during peak hours. I didn't use to care much, but I finally got enough of it, and would like to know if there was a solution.

Beforehand, maybe it's wise to know that Youtube changed its player a while ago in such a way that videos aren't buffered as a whole, but rather in "slices", apparently to follow variable downstream throughput, so it's not possible anymore to let it buffer before playing. The computer isn't to blame, and is plenty powerful for that kind of job, and connects through wired Ethernet.

What's weird is that Youtube only classifies TSI DSL service as sufficient for SD videos. However, 15Mbps should be plenty enough for 1080p, stutter-free playing, and indeed I had no major problems playing Netflix at full-res.

I read somewhere else that it may have something to do with some Youtube caches that can't push data fast enough due to congestion before reaching customers (peering agreements conflicts, or something of the sort), and that manually preventing those faulty caches from sending data, therefore forcing YT player to fetch data through less congested "pipes". It happens much less frequently on other video streaming websites. Adding to the frustration, the modem isn't even close to saturated, reaching about 500KBps, just above a quarter of what it can with torrents or just plain OS updates.

How would I find out and prevent those congested YT cache servers to ruin streamed video?

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre

Premium Member

I would think if there was an issue on the server level that a ton more people would be complaining about it but as far as I know, there haven't been.

May I ask what connection you are on? Dsl/cable and speeds? Also, what city are you in?
andythefox
join:2014-04-04
Ottawa, ON

andythefox to Cubytus

to Cubytus
said by Cubytus:

What's weird is that Youtube only classifies TSI DSL service as sufficient for SD videos.

I think this is because TSI DSL also includes legacy 6meg (which has speed variable depending on distance from the CO) service in addition to faster ADSL2 and VDSL2 offerings.
BrianON
join:2011-09-30
Ottawa, ON

BrianON to Cubytus

to Cubytus
The flash player seems to choke/stutter sometimes even when it has already loaded the content (the loaded bar is well past where the playing indicator is). Try having it prefer using the html5 player:

»www.youtube.com/html5
Cubytus
join:2007-08-24

Cubytus to TSI Andre

to TSI Andre
DSL, 15/1 plan in Montreal, wrongly located as Toronto, as usual.

Thanks BrianON, that's even more weird since I am indeed using the HTML5 player. I didn't remember that most people are not Flash-free :-D