uniqs

msmisfit
join:2004-09-13
Atlanta, GA
ARRIS SB6121
Netgear WNDR3800

msmisfit

[CATV] Latest DVRs issued by Charter question

What are the most tuners available in any of the DVRs being leased by Charter now?

I know the regulars here are getting tired of me whining about my 2 tuners and 160 storage, but they're back to canceling some of my series recordings to "change their schedules" per the history file, and once again, I'm considering my limited options.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

You need to come to the other side. 1tb drive and 5 tuners. The latest Directv Genie. What Charter offers is laughable. You ever considered it? And don't even get me started on how much more advanced their dvr's are....
Techie01
join:2014-11-21
USA

Techie01 to msmisfit

to msmisfit
It's still 2 tuners but I'd like to say the hard drive space is closer to 500 gigs now. Motorola DCX3520 is the latest model.

msmisfit
Atlanta, GA

msmisfit to KoRnGtL15

to KoRnGtL15
LOL ... I agree I need to do something, and stop whining, but satellite is not an option for me. The homeowner association rules do not allow satellite dishes where I am.
msmisfit

msmisfit to Techie01

to Techie01
Thanks, Techie. I was hoping they were moving to more tuners.

I can't understand how I could fairly frequently need 3 tuners, when there is so little on worth watching much of the time.
Techie01
USA

Techie01

The new world box that is coming out is supposed to have up to 16 built in it I believe so hopefully it'll come sooner than later.

tstolze
Premium Member
join:2003-08-08
O Fallon, MO

tstolze to msmisfit

Premium Member

to msmisfit
said by msmisfit:

LOL ... I agree I need to do something, and stop whining, but satellite is not an option for me. The homeowner association rules do not allow satellite dishes where I am.

If you want satellite, a HOA can not stop you, »www.fcc.gov/guides/insta ··· e-dishes

Also, if you are willing to take another route, a multi-tuner card or usb cable tuner and Windows Media Center does a decent job.
Blizzard
join:2014-09-21

Blizzard to msmisfit

to msmisfit
said by msmisfit:

I know the regulars here are getting tired of me whining about my 2 tuners and 160 storage, but they're back to canceling some of my series recordings to "change their schedules" per the history file, and once again, I'm considering my limited options.

Do you have a scientific atlanta 8300 HDC by chance?
met_fan
join:2010-08-08
Easthampton, MA

met_fan to msmisfit

to msmisfit
said by msmisfit:

I got a TiVo Roamio Pro with 6 tuners and 2 minis a few weeks ago and it's such a huge improvement. Fairly significant upfront cost, but with lifetime service my monthly bill is way down and I never have to worry about recording conflicts. No on demand service, but the only thing I used that for was to watch the stuff I couldn't record because of conflicts.
BlakePaulson
join:2008-08-06
Alexandria, MN

BlakePaulson

said by met_fan:

I got a TiVo Roamio Pro with 6 tuners and 2 minis

I have the exact same setup... love it! Big upfront cost but in the long run it's cheaper, plus the tv experience is so much better.
Techie01
USA

Techie01 to Blizzard

to Blizzard
She's in a Motorola market, not a cisco one.

Shad0wlore
Premium Member
join:2004-06-15
USA

Shad0wlore to msmisfit

Premium Member

to msmisfit
+1 to tstolze's suggestion.

We moved to a HD Homerun Prime, and a Windows Media Center (with Ceton Echoes as extenders) last June.. and haven't looked back since.

Wound up saving almost $60 on the bill, too. No more stupid $20 fee for the 'right' to have a DVR in the house, and then $8 per box. We wound up getting our ROI within 6 months.

msmisfit
Atlanta, GA

msmisfit to Techie01

to Techie01
That's good news! Something to hope for.
msmisfit

msmisfit to tstolze

to tstolze
Since I signed the agreement to these restrictions when the subdivision was being constructed many years ago, I'm not inclined to go through the legal hassles to get them changed.

Your other alternative is much more appealing. I'd love to use my old desktop for something like that, but I'm not sure I have the grey matter left to make something like that work now. I do keep thinking about it though. Thanks for the suggestion.
msmisfit

msmisfit to Blizzard

to Blizzard
No ... Techie is right, I have a Motorola DCH 6416. Which would be fine if it just had more storage, or another tuner.
msmisfit

msmisfit to met_fan

to met_fan
I know LOTS of people love the setups you and Blake have, but I've never seen a Tivo box and output, so every time I look at it, and add up the cost, I'm hesitant to spend that kind of money for something I might not like. I know I'd be an odd ball, but that's still possible.

Thanks for letting me know your experiences with Tivo. I haven't ruled it out yet.
msmisfit

msmisfit to Shad0wlore

to Shad0wlore
I know something like this would be smart, but I'm not sure I could set it up and I have no techs in my family or nearby. I've reached that age where my short term memory is shot, so taking on something new is scary. Thanks for the vote on the Homerun Prime, still being considered.
met_fan
join:2010-08-08
Easthampton, MA

met_fan to msmisfit

to msmisfit
said by msmisfit:

I know LOTS of people love the setups you and Blake have, but I've never seen a Tivo box and output, so every time I look at it, and add up the cost, I'm hesitant to spend that kind of money for something I might not like. I know I'd be an odd ball, but that's still possible.

Thanks for letting me know your experiences with Tivo. I haven't ruled it out yet.

I did save a good chunk by using the Ebay's guy's TiVo codes to purchase my equipment.

scots
Are we there yet??
Premium Member
join:1999-12-06
Raleigh, NC

1 recommendation

scots to msmisfit

Premium Member

to msmisfit
said by msmisfit:

Since I signed the agreement to these restrictions when the subdivision was being constructed many years ago, I'm not inclined to go through the legal hassles to get them changed.

You don't have to go through any legal hassles to get the HOA covenants or anything else changed. It doesn't matter that you agreed to them when the subdivision was being constructed. The FCC rule makes the section of your covenants that bans satellite dishes null and void. There's nothing they can do to stop you from having a dish, period - no matter what it says in the covenants (even if you agreed to them). They *can* make a requirement that the dish be placed in a specific location (my HOA requires the dish to be behind the house), but they can't outright ban them.

msmisfit
Atlanta, GA

msmisfit

I failed to add that, they can't be seen from the street. Since my back yard is filled with tall GA pine trees, there's no place for a dish to work ... and not be seen.
sittin_tech
join:2004-04-13
Rochester, MN

sittin_tech to msmisfit

to msmisfit
You've been posting for years about this old 6416, please make yourself happy a get a newer dvr from charter.

mmainprize
join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI

mmainprize to msmisfit

to msmisfit
If you have a X-box 360 or a PC attached to your TV then you could add a HDHomerun Prime for $120 reg price and sale price of $79 at times or $99 at other times.

If you need a PC you can get a good PC for around $200 and if you have the money you could speed it up with a SSD drive for the OS. You can add a HDD as big as you want, 3TB gets a few hundred hours of HD. An external USB 3 drive works good also.

This would get you 3 tuners, DVR service and lots of show storage for 2 dollars a month and would save you at least $18 a month