Search similar:

uniqs
JVMontana
join:2015-03-17
Stevensville, MT

JVMontana

[Qwest] Router/Modem Help

Hi,
I have to apologize for some of these trivial questions. I don't have much IT experience.

I am located in Montana and have an older TP link modem/router which I plan to update very soon. My Internet has been dropping for the last year. It may stay online for hours or it may drop every half hour.

I ran a speed test and it came back at 26ms ping, 6.1 down and .701 up. I would like find out if there is anything I can do to speed things up a bit? I requested centurylinks 12mbps plan but not even sure that is available in my area.

I purchased the ASUS RT AC68U router but do not have a modem yet. I've been reading about folks bridging their ADSL2+ modem with separate router and wanted to know if this is something that might improve my Internet connection/speed?

If I were to bridge with the ASUS modem, would you have any recommendations on which modem would work best in this case?

Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks you in advance,
Jason
JVMontana

JVMontana

If I were to bridge with the ASUS router, not modem, would you have any recommendations on which modem would work best in this case?
mrmidnight27
join:2007-04-21
Stevensville, MT

mrmidnight27 to JVMontana

to JVMontana
Hey JV, the area of Stevi that I am in has 12 Mbps capability, I'm using the C1000A which is compatible with all of Centurylink's technologies, and I have that Modem bridged to my Asus RT-AC87U.

Works like a dream!
JVMontana
join:2015-03-17
Stevensville, MT

JVMontana

Thanks mrmidnight27. I just got upgraded to 12mbps and running a C1000Z bridged to ASUS RT AC68U. The network has been very stable. Still a bit on the slow side but I haven't been dropped unlike my old TP Link which dropped me at least twice a day so this is a nice change. Maybe someday we will get out of the dark ages in Stevi.
mrmidnight27
join:2007-04-21
Stevensville, MT

1 recommendation

mrmidnight27

I take it you did successfully bridge the modem and the router? It isn't too hard, if you need help pm me and we may be able to meet up and I can help you.

12Mbps isn't too much of the dark ages if you consider there is still a lot of this nation without broadband internet. I did run into one of our local Charter techs the other day and he told me the Charter is planning on expanding to offer internet to us, at the 50Mbps level.

I also saw fiber being laid the other day at the bank at Third and Main.