spc
Search similar:

uniqs
CyberScooby
join:2015-03-18
canada

CyberScooby

Switching to dry loop DSL - Access to my house

I live in Ontario and I am about to switch to Teksavvy. Right now I am debating about going to dry loop DSL so I can ditch Bell and go with VoIP.

I have been told that if I go with dry loop DSL, that the technician will need access inside my house. Currently I am undergoing some renovations, so was wondering which areas of my house needs to be accessible.

After a lot of searching I have found no definite answer but it sounds like the technician will only need access to where the phone lines enter my house. Is this correct?

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

The bell guy needs to access the demarcation point, in an older home its typically in the basement next to or near the electrical panel (blackish thing with brass and phone wires coming out of it, there should be a ground wire connecting it to the water pipes or service panel ground). Newer or upgraded homes have a grey box outside (again near the power meter often, but could be anyplace especially if the service is underground).

Just hope you haven't dry-walled over it.
CyberScooby
canada

CyberScooby

Thanks Thane_Bitter! I will take a look when I get home.

Luckily I haven't dry-walled over it but it is a very old house so god only knows what some of the previous owners have done. It certainly wouldn't be the first weird thing that I have seen.
CyberScooby

CyberScooby

Well it took a bunch of searching but I finally found the demarcation point! It is located in my basement up in the rafters. Opposite side of the house from the electrical panel out in the middle of the room.

So glad that I looked into this as I have been using my basement for storing a lot of items while the renovations are going on. Currently I can see the demarcation point but cannot easily get to it so I will have to shift stuff around before I can move to dry loop DSL.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0

Premium Member

Likely they will want to move it outside, and should without added cost wire new one to the old demarc, but yes will need that inside access to do it.
CyberScooby
canada

CyberScooby

Thanks Hayward. Guess I should plan on a longer "visit" than anticipated. In any event I have cleared more than enough room for the tech to get his work done.
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2 to CyberScooby

Premium Member

to CyberScooby
What I don't get here is why would they have to change anything related to the wiring to accommodate the dry loop?

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

The is more to an answer then it's technical solution. Half the problem is dealing with ISP "procedures". Though they could be making sure it's a direct connection to where the DSL phone line will be to avoid interference?
Tikker_LoS
join:2004-04-29
Regina, SK

Tikker_LoS to bbear2

to bbear2
said by bbear2:

What I don't get here is why would they have to change anything related to the wiring to accommodate the dry loop?

lots of times (out west anyways, can't say it applies to the center of the universe or not) you'll use an opportunity like this service call to simply update the demarc to a more modern standard
AlexInTO
join:2015-04-09

AlexInTO to CyberScooby

to CyberScooby
Generally speaking, a Bell tech will visit your home and test the line that connects to the Bell network. He/she may install a grey box or Network Interface Device on the outside of your home. Inside the basement, near your existing demarc, they will likely install a filter i.e. potsplitter. Then they'll isolate the phone wiring that leads from the basement demarc to the jack where you want the modem installed, and connect the modem.

Hopefully the phone wiring within your home is directly run from each wall jack to the basement, rather than each jack being daisy-chained to each other on the same cable. Generally, the shorter and more direct the wiring run is, the less likely you'll have problems with interference, packet loss, disconnects, etc.

In your reno try not to permanently cover up the basement demarc and wiring junction or you'll be screwed if you ever have to troubleshoot anything with your wiring or change your phone or DSL provider.
CyberScooby
canada

CyberScooby

Thanks AlexInTO, that helps explain things. Don't worry I won't be going anywhere near the basement with my renovations. It is an old house which the basement has a very low ceiling so it is nothing more than just a storage room for us.