Search similar:

uniqs
cavan
Premium Member
join:2003-09-08
Cobourg, ON

cavan

Premium Member

[TV] Cogeco vs. OTA - has anyone made the move?

As some of you might be aware, I'm a Cogeco business internet subscriber and, as such, cannot get the Tivo equipment installed. We've been struggling along with the PACE (W)Hole Home service which randomly (and frequently) decides not to record on schedule.

My wife has reached the end of her rope and is demanding that I do something, anything, to get relief from this nonsense. I'm looking into OTA along with a Tivo OTA receiver (»www.tivo.com/roamio-ota-tlp). I have spoken with Tivo and the product can ship to Canada.

Has anyone made this switch? Any thoughts?
thehopeful
join:2006-11-17
Burlington, ON

thehopeful

If you have an HDTV it probably has a digital tuner. I suggest hooking it up to an antenna to see what channels you can receive locally. No point in buying a Tivo only to find that you can't pick up the channels you want

Have you put your address into tvfool to see what you can expect to receive?
cavan
Premium Member
join:2003-09-08
Cobourg, ON

cavan

Premium Member

oh yes, i'll definitely hook up an antennae alone before I invest in an OTA TiVo. I was just wondering whether anyone reading here had any experience with OTA in Cobourg. I see an antennae on a mast on the street behind me and may walk over for a conversation with the owners.

tvfool suggests I could get as many as 23 channels

huh_wha
@start.ca

huh_wha

Anon

I thought I would mention, my $18 antenna from Canada Computers outperforms the $100 antenna I got from Save & Replay in Mississauga. As soon as CHCH went back to UHF my expensive antenna became obsolete.

I did what you're doing now, saw an antenna, asked questions, did homework, tested, took the plunge. I'm just nearing the end of my first year OTA only.

Money not sent to Rogers since cutting the cord: $927.

Spare
join:2004-04-14
min2p6

Spare to cavan

to cavan
I live just a little west of you PH. You will Need a tower antenna and amp. Best bet would be a big old fashion style antenna. As Rochester has two vhf stations. What Im working on is a permanet uhf/vhf pointed at rochester and a 8bay on rotor pointed towards TO/ Buffalo. but thats a dream right now. So I'd say go with a begun on rotor and you can also turn it towards Toronto Batavia and Buf.

Do not own any Tivo equipment

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by Spare:

I live just a little west of you PH. You will Need a tower antenna and amp. Best bet would be a big old fashion style antenna. As Rochester has two vhf stations. What Im working on is a permanet uhf/vhf pointed at rochester and a 8bay on rotor pointed towards TO/ Buffalo. but thats a dream right now. So I'd say go with a begun on rotor and you can also turn it towards Toronto Batavia and Buf.

I've wanted to do the two antenna setup but flipped - the huge antenna pointed at Toronto, and a smaller four or eight bay pointed at Buffalo.

RideTheLight
join:2013-12-23
Windsor, ON

2 recommendations

RideTheLight to cavan

to cavan
Antenna + Kodi = Happy everyone, on the cheap.
cablesmurfet
join:2012-05-28
Burlington, ON

cablesmurfet to cavan

to cavan
the hopeful gave a good suggestion with tvfool. I used tvfool.com to find out what stations I could receive with an antenna. We are using an Antennas Direct Db4e that has a 65 mile range. The stations we pick up in Burlington are different than what you would get in Cobourg.
We also have Shaw Direct. Both, incidentally, have better PQ and sound quality than cable.

Spare
join:2004-04-14
min2p6

Spare to Gone

to Gone
Thats the nice thing about buffalo no vhf stations
Spare

Spare to cavan

to cavan
This web site will help espially the map »www.remotecentral.com/hdtv/

Or you could just get the big antenna and a rotor

Gone