spc
Search similar:

uniqs
atigerman
join:2002-01-19
Tigerton, WI

atigerman

[DSL] GiGe backhaul term

I've seen the term used a few times on the forum and even heard from my local manager how the box i'm feed out of will be getting a GiGe backhaul upgrade. But what is GiGe in terms of speed?

1 Gig, 10 Gig, 100 Gig???

mitchell195
join:2012-03-25
Trumbull, CT

mitchell195

Gig-E(Gigabit Ethernet) over Fiber, Probably 1000BASELX10-Maybe Ethernet over SONET.

SuperSpy
join:2012-06-15
Coldwater, MI

SuperSpy to atigerman

to atigerman
Yeah, GigE is typically what they would use to backhaul from the CO to a remote terminal. Larger links are generally for longer-range backhaul.

Older units tend to use bundles of 6-8 T1's (1.5Mbit per T1), so it's a huge upgrade in terms of available bandwidth to the RT.
atigerman
Tigerton, WI

atigerman

So let me assume that it will be a one gig backhaul. I'm going to be running into the same congestion issues all over again, with the speed increase he said would come with the backhaul update. Would i not?

Or doesn't it work that way with GigE upgrades?

SuperSpy
join:2012-06-15
Coldwater, MI

SuperSpy

Are we talking FIOS or DSL?

Because a GigE backhaul for a normal DSLAM is basically infinite bandwidth unless you have a very dense neighborhood with VDSL.

Normal ADSL2+ tops off at 24mbit so that's over 40 full speed connections completely saturated before the backhaul is even close to full.
atigerman
Tigerton, WI

atigerman

It is DSL.
said by SuperSpy:

Normal ADSL2+ tops off at 24mbit so that's over 40 full speed connections completely saturated before the backhaul is even close to full.

Put that way, you have set my mind at ease.....