Search similar:

uniqs
zmarty
join:2015-02-25
Kirkland, WA

zmarty to killbit

to killbit

Re: [FiOS] New speed tiers

I called and complained and they said they will remove the charge. I have Auto-Pay and it's easy to overlook when they pull this kind of stuff.
Melakion
join:2009-06-25
Marysville, WA

Melakion to wasvznowftr

to wasvznowftr
Had a window from 8am to 4pm, got a call at 1PM that they had no techs and they wanted to reschedule to tomorrow.

An hour later, I get a call from a tech that says there's no reason for them to come out and that they should be able to upgrade the speed from there. Asks me to do a speedtest and I'm still at 35/35. I've got the Motorola 1000GT GPON ONT, and the oldest Westell 9100EM running over MOCA. I did want to switch to Ethernet and get a GigE router, so hopefully that can still be done. He said he would get back with the tier2 guys and make sure the update was done and call me back.

Just got a call back, and now he says they do need to swap out the ONT, so I guess I am getting a new Calix now too. At least he said the tech was on the way now instead of tomorrow.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by Melakion:

Had a window from 8am to 4pm, got a call at 1PM that they had no techs and they wanted to reschedule to tomorrow.

An hour later, I get a call from a tech that says there's no reason for them to come out and that they should be able to upgrade the speed from there. Asks me to do a speedtest and I'm still at 35/35. I've got the Motorola 1000GT GPON ONT, and the oldest Westell 9100EM running over MOCA. I did want to switch to Ethernet and get a GigE router, so hopefully that can still be done. He said he would get back with the tier2 guys and make sure the update was done and call me back.

Just got a call back, and now he says they do need to swap out the ONT, so I guess I am getting a new Calix now too. At least he said the tech was on the way now instead of tomorrow.

Let us know how it goes .
Melakion
Marysville, WA

Melakion to wasvznowftr

to wasvznowftr
New Calix ONT, Rev I router, which I think only has a 100mbps WAN port. I get 97 down and 100 up though, so I guess thats good. Asked him why no GigE WAN on the router, and he said there was a different one they use for 150/150, but he didn't know anything about it.

It was a DSL tech that came and did the install. He said he'd been loaned to fiber because of all the upgrade orders going in and that they are short on techs. His first time installing a Calix. He (and the tech that called) said there was no technical reason to upgrade from the Motorola GPON, but that they were doing it all over. He thought it may have had to do with Google buying Motorola, but not sure I believe that.

All went pretty smooth once he showed up. Speedtest right now at 9pm says 98down/99up.
zmarty
Kirkland, WA

zmarty

What is the exact model of the Calix ONT? You can find that if you open the service door.

Mel
@frontiernet.net

Mel

Anon

Calix 722GE

2 POTS, 2 GigE, 1 HPNA

»www.calix.com/systems/p- ··· NTs.html

mr_slick
join:2003-05-22
Lynnwood, WA

mr_slick to wasvznowftr

to wasvznowftr
still waiting for my upgrade... have an appointment to change out ONT on 4/21 with no time range, although the CSR put notes stating I would like an appointment first thing in the morning- we'll see how that goes. I wish they would just change the profile and be done with it! (only ordering 50/50 which my existing stuff should handle)./;
jmcgeejr
join:2000-05-15
Kirkland, WA

jmcgeejr

I was told that one of the reasons for the ONT swap out is that a lot of the changes they are making to the equipment at the head end of the fiber network is causing the motorola boxes to have issues (if you have had the 12am ish reboot that never came back up issue), so they figured now is the time to just start swapping them out for the calix gpon's get it all done and over with.
Melakion
Marysville, WA

Melakion

I think the point to point GigE Fiber capability of the Calix is interesting too. They could roll out Google Fiber like GigE to everyone with these same ONTs.

They are reusing the same UPS from the Motorola, they just cut the old connector off and screw on a Calix harness. That did take a couple tries for the guy as every time he would go to push it into the ONT, the ONT would pop off its hinges and a wire or two would get pulled out of the harness. It was his first time installing one of these though, so maybe that's just a practice thing.
jmcgeejr
join:2000-05-15
Kirkland, WA

jmcgeejr

must be a practice thing, my guy did the same and was chatting with me the whole time not really paying attention and it went fine.
tazeat
join:2004-10-22
Bothell, WA

tazeat to Melakion

to Melakion
said by Melakion:

New Calix ONT, Rev I router, which I think only has a 100mbps WAN port. I get 97 down and 100 up though, so I guess thats good. Asked him why no GigE WAN on the router, and he said there was a different one they use for 150/150, but he didn't know anything about it.

It was a DSL tech that came and did the install. He said he'd been loaned to fiber because of all the upgrade orders going in and that they are short on techs. His first time installing a Calix. He (and the tech that called) said there was no technical reason to upgrade from the Motorola GPON, but that they were doing it all over. He thought it may have had to do with Google buying Motorola, but not sure I believe that.

All went pretty smooth once he showed up. Speedtest right now at 9pm says 98down/99up.

Are you using ethernet from the ONT to the 100mbit WAN port or are you using Coax HPNA to the Zylex adapter to ethernet to the 100mbit WAN port?
Melakion
Marysville, WA

Melakion

Ethernet
tazeat
join:2004-10-22
Bothell, WA

tazeat to wasvznowftr

to wasvznowftr
I wonder if that's where the overhead was that I seemed to limit me to 95ish mbit, or if it was internet side. As soon as I moved to ethernet from hpna I was able to get higher though... But once I got them to enable ethernet there was no way I was going to use the actiontec anymore so I didn't even try that
zmarty
Kirkland, WA

2 recommendations

zmarty to Melakion

to Melakion
If you are using Ethernet directly from the ONT to your router, and your router is 1 Gbit capable, then the problem is that they wired the ONT incorrectly to only use 4 wires instead of 8. That's why you are getting 100 Mbit. The ONT cannot be configured in software to connect at 100 Mbit. If the cable is correct, it will work on 1 Gbit. See my previous posts in this thread, I had the same problem and I fixed it.
Easty
join:2015-04-07
USA

Easty

My upgrade journey sadly has not been plain sailing. Upgrading from 35/15 to 100/100. I was given a 9 day appointment 12-5pm. which was thursday. I called Wednesday to confirm and give my number and they said my appointment was not friday 8-5 with actually calling me to say it had changed. I gave my number again and said please note to call if any issues.

No show or no call on friday. I web chat friday eve and get apologies with a promise of this morning(sat morning). 12pm no show and I call and they say there was a note to say no access. I've been sat here looking with my gate wide open. No calls from tech.

I called again they wanted to reschedule for may 1st. so I kicked up a massive fuss. They will try to come tomorrow.

it amazes me it isn't essential the tech has a phone number and calls a short time before heading to your address, or calls when at your address.
mbloof
join:2006-02-27
Beaverton, OR

mbloof

They must be hiring ex-install folk from Comcast - the last 4 service calls I had with Comcast the guy ether was a no-show or parked across the street for a few minutes before making me as "customer not home". (arrrrgggg!) Its been over 10yrs since I've had to tolerate the 'evil empire'.

2pm Thursday my Fios went dead, the Frontier guy was here promptly at 3pm, 15min to swap the ONT out and another 45min for him on the phone to get it configured. Done in ~1hr.

I'm not all that impressed with the speed as the best I've gotten for a 100/100 is 92-95/93-97, (even slower in prime time) my old 25/25 regularly was 30/30 24/7/365. I'm using ethernet.

He gave me a 'actiontek' router that I'll likely toss like I did the other one Verizon gave me. (unopened box, never used)

I did the upgrade as I'll be working from home for a few months, sadly the VPN client/server seems to be the limiting factor as even with 100/100 its like I'm on a 10BT connection to work.

(sigh)

mr_slick
join:2003-05-22
Lynnwood, WA

mr_slick to wasvznowftr

to wasvznowftr
Got an automated call yesterday confirming my 10hr install window, stating the tech would be there between 8am-6pm. Today I waited (taking time off work) and guess what.... No calls, no show. I tried calling a minute ago and was told they couldn't help me because it is a cust. svc. issue and the call center is closed. I will call tomorrow and complain and hopefully can get a tighter window with a live tech. Any advice other than asking to speak to mgr/supervisor?
RHWV
join:2015-03-10

RHWV to wasvznowftr

to wasvznowftr
Anyone know if/when this will come to WV?

pjsutton
join:2013-06-25
Kempton, PA

pjsutton

There's FIOS in WV?
RHWV

RHWV

Not in my area, but the rep I just spoke to said they're doing major upgrades in WV within the next year to year and a half.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

They are not deploying FiOS (or fiber to the home) in West Virginia. Sorry.

(They don't have the money to do it. It's insanely expensive, not enough return on the investment, ESPECIALLY in rural areas, and the ONLY reason they have any FiOS now is because Verizon MADE them take it when Frontier bought all the other copper service areas).
RHWV

RHWV

I think I'm going to believe Frontier over you, sorry.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by RHWV:

No problem. Be sure to come back and tell us how wrong I was when you still don't have fiber to the home in 3 or 4 years (or ever -- from Frontier).

For what it's worth, it hasn't been reported here that Frontier has deployed fiber to even ONE new area in the 4 or 5 years they've had FiOS.
RHWV

RHWV

I currently have 150/8, soon to have gig speeds in the next 1-1.5 years with Suddenlink.
Thanks for proving that you know nothing.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

1 edit

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by RHWV:

I currently have 150/8, soon to have gig speeds in the next 1-1.5 years with Suddenlink.
Thanks for proving that you know nothing.

I'm sorry. I was talking about fiber from Frontier in West Virginia. When did this become a discussion about Suddenlink?

So what is it that you know about FiOS exactly?

pjsutton
join:2013-06-25
Kempton, PA

1 recommendation

pjsutton to RHWV

to RHWV
said by RHWV:

major upgrades in WV

And did they specifically mention FIOS? I bet it means they are increasing backbone across the state. WV has a notoriously congested Internet backbone.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by pjsutton:

said by RHWV:

major upgrades in WV

And did they specifically mention FIOS? I bet it means they are increasing backbone across the state. WV has a notoriously congested Internet backbone.

This.

mitchell195
join:2012-03-25
Trumbull, CT
Juniper SRX220
Cisco Meraki MR16

mitchell195 to wasvznowftr

to wasvznowftr
Frontier would be more likely to deploy U-Verse in WV as it operates over Fiber to the Node with copper making the connection to the end user- The equipment for which is already deployed in many areas of WV as they have remote terminals.

Frontier stated during the proceedings before & after the Connecticut transaction that as part of the sale agreement with AT&T they were given the ability to expand U-Verse in other service areas besides Connecticut, whereas Verizon did not give them the ability to expand FIOS outside of where it already existed as part of that sale agreement.
EdmondsFios
join:2010-09-02
Edmonds, WA

2 recommendations

EdmondsFios to RHWV

to RHWV
If you believe Frontier over darcilicious, I am guessing you haven't been following this site for any length of time. She is highly accurate with her comments and Frontier has not been as accurate in its public statements.
said by RHWV:

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to mitchell195

Premium Member

to mitchell195
said by mitchell195:

whereas Verizon did not give them the ability to expand FIOS outside of where it already existed as part of that sale agreement.

That's interesting. I always assumed it was only a cost issue for Frontier -- though I'm not sure "ability" is the right word (though since we're talking about Frontier... ); "contractually limited" might be more accurate? Is there a transcript of the proceedings somewhere?