uniqs
Nanaki (banned)
aka novaflare. pull punches? Na
join:2002-01-24
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned) to wutsinterweb3

to wutsinterweb3

Re: What's the problem with Samsung S5?

Nope i am working on smart phones every day. Most repairs are screen. And i can show you 100s of busted flip phones and even old school stick phones. I see g shocks busted all the time. I have seen flip phones take htis that should kill them and break from falls that should not break any thing. It all depends on how it lands. AS for koolaid nope. I honestly could not care if samsung stops making phones after the s6. Ill sit back and laugh at how the market explodes with serious innovation as every other manufacture innovates to snatch up the market share samsung held. I hated it when 3dfx went under as a gamer and 3dfx loyalist but i loved it as a tech. I loved watching ati, matrox, nvidia and s3 battle it out to get that market share. Now we have video cards with what 4 6 and even 8gb ram with bandwidth through put that is just beyond insane. Gpu speed and performance in places we could not even dream about back then. Video cards did not double in performance every year they tripled and some times quadrupled. If not for 3dfx dieing we would maybe have vid cards with a gig of ram today.

In all honesty the only company i would not want to see leave the market is apple. Apple while crap imo keeps the other manus on their toes. Apple gets sales because of their name but other companies samsung lg htc etc get sales by making stellar products. And yes the s6 is a stellar product. The phone is flat out amazing. Check my earlier posts about the s6 from a couple weeks ago. You'll see i was worried about the non user serviceable battery no sd card and glass back. Once i handled the phone and seen a tear down of it i changed my mind. There is nothing about this device i can really find fault with. I think the gorilla glass 4 hype is just that hype. But that is the only thing i have issue with.

wutsinterweb3
End Citizen's United
Premium Member
join:2014-08-26
USA

wutsinterweb3

Premium Member

Now, go to the Philippines, where people are too poor to worry about personal image or style and class. The smart phones people are buying there mostly have 2 sim card slots, an SD card slot, and are cheap enough if you drop one, it's not the end of the world because you can get another with all the features you need for a third of what Americans pay. And mind you, it's the same country that has tarriffs so high on computers and parts that a new 4th gen Core i5 computer there is not only 3 times as expensive as here, good luck even finding one. It's all about what people stand for, what they accept, and what can be shoved down their throats.
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned) to GLIMMER

to GLIMMER
Yeh if we ever see a screen that does not break it will be decades from now. Even the flexible screen now used in samsung devices will break if flexed fast. The molecular bonds in the material can only stretch so far and so fast before they snap and when they snap the screen will break. Sad but true i just do not see any one over coming those sorts of problems in less than 15 or 20 years.
GLIMMER
join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

Gorrilla glass and we both know is a hype and a joke. My nexus 6 has it now I will say that phone can take a hit tho.

wutsinterweb3
End Citizen's United
Premium Member
USA

wutsinterweb3 to Nanaki

Premium Member

to Nanaki
Yes, that's right, IF and ONLY IF people continue to let Apple hamper real innovation as they have. It's the tyranny of the dumb, in a way. Materials scientists can and will come up with solutions, but consumers need to push demand for it, if we just keep taking pellets shoved up our butts, well, we get what we deserve.
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned) to GLIMMER

to GLIMMER
Yeh that honestly has to do more with the structure behind the glass and lcd than the glass it self. Also if i recall correctly the nexus 6 has a slightly inset glass. Meaning the fram takes the hit not the glass when dropped on a hard flat surface.

If and when i get a s6 im putting clear rubber drawer bumpers on the corners. No way am i hiding that phone in a ugly case hehe. 1 bumper per corner front and back to give it some stand off. You can get some really tiny ones to about 1/8 diam.
Nanaki

to wutsinterweb3
Apple hampers only their innovation not samsungs lg htc Motorola etc. They actually do innovative things to attract customers away from apple who replies on pure hype. In the end apple remains more or less stagnate. If apple left the market today other cell phone manus would slow down on innovation as they would not need to compete with apples hype engine. It would not be until some upstart who had something to prove came along and shook things up that they would start to innovate again.

In the end that is what killed 3dfx they felt safe. Then nvidia came out with a much faster card and did not hype it until 3dfx was already trapped in a production cycle for the voodoo 4 and 5 lines. 3DFX was in a damned if they do damned if they don't situation. They died because they felt safe.

Over confidence is what kills a company or a person or a country or any thing else for that matter. Samsung takes risks the note edge was a risk. The s6 edge is not. The s6 and the edge version are very well thought out and refined phones. When they say the next big thing this time they mean it lol.

wutsinterweb3
End Citizen's United
Premium Member
USA

wutsinterweb3 to Nanaki

Premium Member

to Nanaki
But you see, THAT is how we DO differ, I couldn't care less how cool a phone "looks", I don't have the need to show off something that wasn't my own creation anyways. If I was showing something off, it would be something I own from my own work. So for me, any phone with a rubber cover gets my vote if it has the design and needs covered. I'm not a girl with a purse with someone else's initials on it.
wutsinterweb3

wutsinterweb3 to Nanaki

Premium Member

to Nanaki
Not true, Apple's existance hampers innovation and intrinsic quality. Think of it this way, if McDonald's didn't exist in every town, we'd have a LOT more good mom and pop outfits with REAL burgers made out of REAL meat, save if someone like McDonald's took their place. We see this here in CT, where major corporate chains are frowned upon in many communities, and we have a lot more small chain and non chain establishments with much higher quality foods. Apple, and McDonald's, by their mere existance, harm innovation and true quality. I disagree with you.
wutsinterweb3

wutsinterweb3

Premium Member

Ever watch the TV show _Madmen_? It's all ABOUT the rooking of America and the world with strategic lies and bullcrap. It's what easily 10 percent of the people on Apple's payroll do, how they think, just like those guys in Madmen. Doctors say smoke, it's good for you!
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

to wutsinterweb3
LOL so mcdonolds meat is not real? I worked at mcdonolds years ago. And yes their meat is real. as for the rest you can not even compare the 2 to fast food vs mom and pop places. And btw just here in akron there are at least a dozen i know of. I have ate at many of them. A mom and pop restaurant and a fast food chain giant are not even in direct competition.

Apple just makes them selves look foolish by lagging so far behind. Any tech knows this and most consumers do as well.

wutsinterweb3
End Citizen's United
Premium Member
USA

wutsinterweb3

Premium Member

Sorry, but you are wrong. McDonalds and a number of other chains use "pink slime" (read about it) and use similarly "mechanically separated meat" (the entire chicken is ground up, basically), in their chicken nuggets and crap. And that is just the beginning, the chemicals that are in their offerings are a long list and are toxic substances by themselves. I wish I still had the link about what they put in foods, it'll scare the daylights out of you. McDonald's foods are NOT real foods. Heck, even Subway got caught with that melamine type substance in their breads. Our local chain here in CT? Nardelli's? Bread from Meliti's (spelling here). Ingredients? Flour, Salt, water, and yeast. Period. No chemicals or conditioners. You "worked" at McDonald's. So you've been to their factories? I doubt it.

Apple looks far from foolish, they are making fools of consumers, which is brilliant.
wutsinterweb3

1 edit

wutsinterweb3 to Nanaki

Premium Member

to Nanaki
»www.foodmatters.tv/artic ··· -big-mac

And that's just the start of it. 100 Percent "Beef" (that can mean any part of the steer/cow, and does mean that). Watch videos on how beef is made, read about things like Propylene Glycol.

Here's more about what they put in "food": »www.health.com/health/ga ··· ,00.html

And you are saying to yourself, "no, it isn't that bad, if it were, someone would do something about it". Well... um, no.

Consider how dumb the consumer is, here's proof: Budweiser Light is the nation's number one alcoholic beverage, by far. People are like cattle, you just lead them and they go quietly to slaughter. And that's why Apple is one of the richest companies in the world. Because people are easily lead on.

Me? I don't have a choice, I inherited my 4S, long story.
GLIMMER
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER to wutsinterweb3

to wutsinterweb3
you might want to get your facts straight. Mcdonalds does not use pink slime at all. And you may want to read on mechanically separated meats to. Its not the whole animal.

wutsinterweb3
End Citizen's United
Premium Member
USA

1 edit

wutsinterweb3

Premium Member

Even if they don't now they used to »abcnews.go.com/blogs/hea ··· burgers/

Here are some of the things in our "foods" »www.answers.com/article/ ··· 44617851

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer to wutsinterweb3

Premium Member

to wutsinterweb3
Hear is a comprehensive review (not a preview) of the S6:

»www.gsmarena.com/samsung ··· 1227.php

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic to wutsinterweb3

Premium Member

to wutsinterweb3
The thing I am concerned about with no replaceable battery is not necessarily the ease of switching them out to extend the time between having to charge (although that is a very nice option), it's the prospect of the battery failing and having to go through a big hassle to get the phone working again for what, to me, should be a very simple fix.

I don't personally care about the SD card so much as I have never been close to filling up the memory on any phone I have. The only time I listen to music offline is when I mow the grass or go on a road trip where the radio stations change, and the 150 or so songs on my device are fine for that. Still, taking the option away doesn't necessarily strike me as a good thing either. I guess I'll have to weigh the pros and cons against the competition when it's time to upgrade.
GLIMMER
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

we have had a htc one m7 in the house since release and the phones battery is still going strong. The chances of a battery failing today are slim.
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned) to TheBionic

to TheBionic
I'm a tech I was worried about that as well. Other than the wait to get the new battery from say eBay the repair is maybe a 20 minute job. You heat the back glass panel for say 2 or 3 minutes with a hot hair dryer. Remove that back glass then screws pull the mid frame off take out the bettery. Replace mid frame and screws. Put some double side tape on the glass around the edges and a strip down the middle press back glass down and done. Will be a ifixit.com guide soon. Check out their step by step and watch the bid when avail. Any one can do repairs on this phone other than say glass only. Leave that for the pros unless your willing to take the risk and maybe break the lcd and have to replace the entire lcd assembly.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

said by Nanaki:

I'm a tech I was worried about that as well. Other than the wait to get the new battery from say eBay the repair is maybe a 20 minute job. You heat the back glass panel for say 2 or 3 minutes with a hot hair dryer. Remove that back glass then screws pull the mid frame off take out the bettery. Replace mid frame and screws. Put some double side tape on the glass around the edges and a strip down the middle press back glass down and done. Will be a ifixit.com guide soon. Check out their step by step and watch the bid when avail. Any one can do repairs on this phone other than say glass only. Leave that for the pros unless your willing to take the risk and maybe break the lcd and have to replace the entire lcd assembly.

If it's out of warranty sure, but as that voids the warranty I probably wouldn't do it myself if the phone was still under it.
said by GLIMMER:

The chances of a battery failing today are slim.

But not none. My co-worker's iphone battery failed late last year. He had to have it plugged in at all times, and when he was away from his desk (which is a lot for his job) he was unreachable. Drove our boss insane. The nearest Apple store is 2 hours away, and he finally drove it to get it fixed. He is not that tech saavy and I've never owned an Apple device so don't know if he fully explored all of his options, but it was a pain in the ass to the whole office. All for a battery, which is crazy to me.
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

Grrr laptop jumped wifi hot spots on me and ate my reply i soooo hate re typing stuff...

As i said before the evil next door wifi ap stole my connection.

You are far more likely to break the screen or power jack before the battery fails. Chances are good that it will long be out of warranty before the battery fails. If it does fail you plug in back up and take to the store. If it fails after warranty then you get to gain a bit of experience fixing your own device.

Granted having to take the phone any where to get a battery replaced is a bit more annoying if it happens which is extremely unlikely.

As for apple yes well that is just what you have with their stuff. Lets not forget this is the same company who's first ipod had a battery that lasted 3 to 6 months and could not be replaced on a device that you can not power up until it hits x %. Meaning sorry nope can't pull any thing off that ipod so you best have it backed the heck up or your out of luck.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

I hate it when that happens (having to re-type stuff).

I guess the whole battery/sd card debate comes down to what consumers are willing to put up with. If the next LG phone still has an easily replaceable battery they will get my business, and if enough people buy it for that reason there will likely always be a decent competitor with that feature. If every top tier smartphone goes the way of Apple regarding design then I guess that is the way it will have to be and I'll just have to hope that I don't get a bad battery. Whaddayagonnado.
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

By my phone once i get to a production status with it

Not only will mine have a removable battery the damn thing will have sd card and be easy to fix to the point of who needs tools...

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to TheBionic

MVM

to TheBionic
It certainly wont be good for the folks who make larger aftermarket batteries. WhileI would be willing to open my s3 and change the battery Toomey of the larger batteries. If it voids the phone warrantywarranty, I very likely wont change the battery,
GLIMMER
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER to Nanaki

to Nanaki
just give me project ara and im happy as a clam...

»www.projectara.com/faq/
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

LOL high repairability yes. But durability was not a concern. My idea is a bit different. Im aiming to make it durable and repairable as well as offering a high degree of internal customization. Mostly related to "internal" storage. Example my first step will be a tablet and my tablet will be able to take a small form factor sata ssd drive. Meaning 1tb+ of storage will be possible. Yes obviously the tablet will be thicker. But that space will be used by say the battery. When you hold my tablet youll know you have something in your hands.

I already made a mock up of it with styrofoam i shaved and sanded to ruff out the idea. I tossed it out by accident though so no picks. But yeh it was slick. Because i want full sized ports it is going to be thicker along the top edge. So the over all shape was like a laptop thicker in the back thinner up front. Other ideas are a strong plastic flip cover hinged at the back along the sides that doubles as a protective cover for the screen when closed and kick stand as well as just folding flat etc. I am also considering things like having it close automatically so that if dropped from some height it might just close before the tablet hits the ground lol. That will not be a selling point how ever. It will just be one of those things that are there that well it may just keep you from breaking the screen but yeh don't count on it.

Honestly i need to sit down one day and type out my notes.
GLIMMER
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

I signed up to test ara. Only time will tell if I get picked.
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

Yeh i did as well. It is just to damn interesting to me not to sign up.
DarkSithPro (banned)
join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ

1 edit

DarkSithPro (banned) to wutsinterweb3

to wutsinterweb3
If you're going to use the fast food logic then replace Apple with Android manufactures, because unlike McDonald's Apple doesn't sell cheap products. McDonald's does, like the bottom feeder android phones you see prepaid at the walmarts and the targets.

wutsinterweb3
End Citizen's United
Premium Member
USA

wutsinterweb3

Premium Member

True.