spc
Search similar:

uniqs
David Wong
join:2010-03-02
Chicago, IL

David Wong

[Install] Getting comcast service to new construction

I'm currently renting, but am preparing to move to a new home that's being finished, with the target date of May 1st. It's a neighborhood Comcast already serves and I can see where the builders have run conduit up to the property to run coax through, but beyond that I don't know what needs done on their end.

So I called today to see if I could schedule an appointment for around the move date and they said it was too early to schedule one - that I should instead call back one week before the move date, and that they could have someone out to run the cable immediately after that. That ... doesn't sound right, based on my previous experience with Comcast. Why not go ahead and make an appointment now for some date close to the move?

I work from home so can't have any interruption in service - I need to be online the moment we move in, my goal was to give them as much notice as possible since we don't necessarily know what the installer is going to have to do. Was the customer service person right? Are they pretty much able to dispatch someone at a moment's notice?

Location is Nashville, TN if that matters.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

[Install] Re: Getting comcast service to new construction

Check out these 2 recent threads:

»[Connectivity] I want comcast to run a line to my house HOW?

»[Install] Comcast Plant Extension
David Wong
Chicago, IL

David Wong

Thank you for the reply but neither of those apply to my situation, I know the address is eligible for service, it's a residential neighborhood and on this lot a house was torn down and two new ones were built in its place, so new cable needs to be run.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by David Wong:

So I called today to see if I could schedule an appointment for around the move date and they said it was too early to schedule one - that I should instead call back one week before the move date, and that they could have someone out to run the cable immediately after that. That ... doesn't sound right, based on my previous experience with Comcast. Why not go ahead and make an appointment now for some date close to the move?

said by David Wong:

Thank you for the reply but neither of those apply to my situation, I know the address is eligible for service, it's a residential neighborhood and on this lot a house was torn down and two new ones were built in its place, so new cable needs to be run.

Sorry, I misunderstood your situation when you said "new construction."

I would try emailing we_can_help@comcast.net and see if they can help you.
David Wong
Chicago, IL

David Wong

Right, I've spoken to comcast customer service already, what they told me was confusing so I'm asking if someone here has additional insight.

Zenit_IIfx
The system is the solution
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

Zenit_IIfx to David Wong

Premium Member

to David Wong
Ok, this does not sound too complicated.

Is there a cable pedestal nearby? I assume its underground utilities in your subdivision since you mentioned buried conduit. Comcast's ped will probably say "Cable TV" on top of it. If you are 150ft or closer to the ped (distance from electric meter) you are golden, the Comcast tech just has to pull drop wire (RG-6) down the conduit, so long as the conduit has pull string. Comcast may elect to use its own conduit. This is assuming that there is a free tap port on the tap, there should be as there were 2 older houses on those lots before, so the system would have been engineered to support at least those 2 homes.

Have you stopped by your local Comcast office to ask for a feasibility of service survey to be done? This would be the most pain-free route.

Photos of the utility infrastructure are extremely helpful to figure out what is going on.

Here are some pics of enclosures Comcast may use:

David Wong
Chicago, IL

David Wong

If anyone is curious, what you have to do is, a couple of weeks before the move, call their move team and they will have to do a serviceability survey, they say it will take about 3-4 days to send someone to the site and make sure you can get service. After seven days of not hearing anything, you will call Comcast to ask where they are on it, at which point the rep will tell you that someone typed something wrong on your original request, and instead of contacting you to correct the information, they just closed the ticket and cancelled the request without notifying you.

So then they will have you fill out a brand new one, including all of the information that was on the old one (name, etc). This time they will tell you they'll "rush" the request, and when you ask how long it will take, they say "3-4 days."

So, yeah, start like a month out because who knows how long it will actually take. You're on Comcast time, now.

bdnhsv
join:2012-01-20
Huntsville, AL

bdnhsv

sounds about right so far. This new house - are you buying it or will you be renting it as well? That would matter when it comes time for Comcast to get a ROE signed stating they can drill a hole in the wall, attach a house box, etc).
David Wong
Chicago, IL

1 edit

David Wong

Re: [Install] Getting comcast service to new construction

Buying.

I called back today, since it's been three days, to make sure they're following up with the serviceability visit.

They are not.

I called the same mover's number as before, that person told me that serviceability was handled by another number:

855-679-xxxx

Hung up. Called it. Got a recording saying that is a dead number and that I should call customer service if I had any issues with my Comcast account.

Called the mover's line back. Guy says it'll be 3 more days. I said I had been told it had been expedited, asked if it could be done faster. He said he would transfer me to technical support.

Tech support answered. Said serviceability visits take 7-10 BUSINESS days, and that there is no such thing as expedited visit, that the previous five customer service people I spoke to were, quote, "lying."

I asked to speak to a supervisor. Said same thing, that they had no way of knowing when the visit would occur, had no further information, had no means of expediting a request.

Worst company in America.

landrover
join:2013-09-17
Martinsburg, WV

landrover to David Wong

to David Wong
As far as getting things rolling and quick responses, I've had great success with we_can_help@comcast.net -