spc
Search similar:

uniqs
JVMontana
join:2015-03-17
Stevensville, MT

JVMontana

[Qwest] Modem (Centurylink)

Anyone recommend a DSL modem that works good in bridged mode to a 3rd party router?
brugar
join:2002-09-16
Las Vegas, NV

1 edit

brugar

The CenturyLink's C1000Z modem/router is a reasonable choice. You can find it on eBay for $50 or less. It has modern firmware: ADSL or VDSL, IPv6, and 2.4 GHz N WiFi. And it can be configured for bridge mode operation.
coryw
join:2013-12-22
Flagstaff, AZ

coryw to JVMontana

to JVMontana
Seconded on the C1000Z recommendation. I have ActionTecs that work fairly well, so if you're going to disable wifi and drop it into bridge mode anyway, then you should have no problem even if all you can find is a C1000a.

I personally recommend against the old Q100 even though it is literally the same chipset as the Q1000z/Q1000/C1000z/C1000a, just because if you're unfamiliar with setting a static route out to the modem, you can plug a computer directly into the router with a static IP to manage it, should the need arise.

There are non-CL VDSL2 modems but the experience with them is relatively limited. There's a Huawei device and some of the ZyXELs (except for the P871M which is really only meant to be used in tanem with a second P871M as an ethernet reach extending solution) that work, but you need to manually configure them for the network, wheras using RFC1483 Bridging on a CL/Qwest branded modem will hand off plain ethernet and your router will only need to negotiate the PPPoE link.

(And really that's just about the administrative burden, otherwise the third party devices work just as well, and can be a good solution if you want something a little nicer than the C1000a/C1000z but don't want to have a lot of devices sitting around.)

For ADSL, ADSL2 and ADSL2+ (which you might have on 20M or lower), there's also Netgear, TP-Link, and a few other third party modems. ADSL2+ is a lot more widely compatible than VDSL2, so it's nearly impossible (aside from AT&T U-Verse branded modems, which may work with CL's service, but there are so many other options it's not worth the money, really) to buy something that outright won't work, but again you run into the issue of whether or not it's worth buying a "bridge" modem (or a one-port gateway which must be further reconfigured) when four-port-with-wireless gateways (which usually require the same configuration for bridge mode anyway) are often only a few dollars more, depending on the brand.

Though, buying a Q/C1000 series gateway does make sure you can use T1-fed ADSL today and fiber-fed ADSL2+ or VDSL2 tomorrow, which is nice.
JVMontana
Stevensville, MT

JVMontana

CL said for me to get an ADSL2+ modem. I purchased an ASUS RT AC68U router. If I get the C1000Z do you think this is overkill or will I have better connection and increased speed?
brugar
Las Vegas, NV
·CenturyLink

brugar

You want a DSL modem with IPv6 capability and CenturyLink Level 3 support. See the link at the lower right of »internethelp.centurylink ··· ems.html

The C1000Z modem/router is an ADSL2+/VDLS2 modem. I like this modem because you can monitor its operation using DSLstats, a free utility program available at »www.s446074245.websiteho ··· e.co.uk/

DSLstats cannot monitor the CenturyLink PK5001A or PK5001Z ADSL2+ modem/routers. You can find those modems on eBay for $35 or less.

The major factor limiting CenturyLink DSL performance is the distance between your modem and CenturyLink's modem (sometimes referred to as a DSLAM). DSL signal quality is better and capable of supporting higher speeds as you get closer to CenturyLink's facility.

Your older TP-Link modem/router may not support the newer and faster ADSL2/ADSL2+ standards. If not, a new modem may allow higher speeds. All ADSL2+ modems will provide similar performance. A modem capable of VDSL2 operation could provide speeds higher that ADSL2+ modems provided you are very close to CenturyLink's facility.
JVMontana
Stevensville, MT

JVMontana

All great info Brugar and CoryW, thank you. I will go with the actionteck c1000a since I cant find a zyxel c1000Z modem anywhere. I plan on bridging the c1000a to the Asus RT AC68U and hope for the best. Do you see any issues with this or have any recommendations?
brugar
Las Vegas, NV
·CenturyLink

brugar

The C1000A modem/router is the CenturyLink modem found in retail stores. BestBuy sells it for $100. Like the C1000Z, it can be monitored using DSLstats. I prefer the C1000Z modem because it runs cooler than the C1000A.

I've had good luck buying my DSL modems using eBay. True, buying second hand may be a bit of a gamble, but the potential savings make the gamble worthwhile.