kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

1 edit

kevinds

Premium Member

[AB] Looking for a telephone tech in SE Calgary

Going to try another direction first, but if you know of anyone, feel free to PM me

Mods, this can be deleted

nss_tech
join:2007-07-29
Edmonton AB

nss_tech

Any electrician can easily do the wiring inside the house.

If you're referring to the demarc box, that one is Telus property. Anything between it and the pole should be as well. Typically if the demarc is damaged, Telus will come out and fix it or replace it. If the outside line is damaged enough to impact internet etc, Telus will usually address that also. If somehow you got a new drop line installed (assuming the "telephone tech" even has access to that type of wire), Telus will still have to come out to connect it.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

1 edit

kevinds

Premium Member

I can easily do the wiring inside, if there was something to connect the inside wiring to...

I thought it was strange Telus tells me to get a non-Telus tech to do the work, but I don't have a lot of experience dealing with Telus... I can only go off of what they told me.

At the end of the building, looks just like the green Telus pedestals poking out of the ground in places, just exposed.

I was wondering how a general telephone tech (or electrician) would know which pairs to use, when connecting my address to the main Telus bundle

nss_tech
Edmonton AB

nss_tech

If it's a newer area the green pedestals could be either Telus or Shaw. It would be odd to see the phone line running to the jack in your master bedroom first unless the house was really old. Either way the line running to the house itself is Telus'. Typically non-Telus techs will not touch it.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

I thought it was odd too...

My toner and probe tells me the main floor phone jack and the 2nd floor masterbedroom jack are connected, but can't find the tone anywhere else, including the Telus panel/pedestal, but there is a lot of other 'noise', so I may be missing it.

I'm now in contact with the "National Escalation Management Team" so trying to find out if they will send someone who will install a proper demarc for me, or figure out how to fix this mess
pb2k
join:2005-05-30
Calgary, AB

pb2k to kevinds

to kevinds
Is this single detached or a multiplex/condo of some sort? The latter can be a bit tough to nail down. I spent a little time in the field, so If you want a consult, send me a PM.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

End unit in a row of townhouses.

I may take you up on that offer depending on what Telus tells me early next week.
royal signal
join:2009-01-22
Calgary, AB

royal signal

usually for townhouses the demark is at the end of the row on the side, for your suite there should be a master jack, (assuming that the townhouses are not brand new) to find the master jack take off all the jacks making sure you don't disconnect any wires and inside one of them you will find one feeding in and the others will be the wires from the other jacks in your suite, for the most of them the feed goes directly to the remark, sometimes up through the roof and other times down though conduit in the basements

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Yeah, it was implied the Master-bedroom jack is the Master jack, taking it off, there was one telephone wire, red and black wire connected to the jack, the yellow and black pair twisted around the incoming line.

Seems to be connecting to the living-room jack, but nothing else.

Sadly there is nothing in the basement (where I want my modems to go), I have looked and looked again.

Lots of coax, no twisted pair, except the Cat5 I ran myself.

Frustrating to say the least
kevinds

kevinds

Premium Member

Alright, well so far, Telus is still frustrating. Haven't made any progress yet. All I'm asking for is a place to connect my internal wiring to... Argh
ttvtech
join:2013-10-10

ttvtech

If the master jack appears to be one upstairs, the drop is probably in the attic. Sometimes they enter the townhouse row from underground in one location, then run up a wall, and the drops split in the attic and drop into the top floor of each unit. What does the drop look like at the master BR jack? Can you post a picture?

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
Master-jack, also in the master-bedroom...

And the living-room jack, has a couple inches of Cat5e connected that go nowhere, blue pair connected to the Red and Green, no idea why.
Luca
join:2002-08-31
Delta, BC

Luca

Someone used a pair from the CAT5 as an extension for a phone (you can see a slot cut into the cover where the CAT 5 used to come out)?

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

1 edit

kevinds

Premium Member

Ahh that explains it then... I just thought someone broke the cover.. Had a few electrical covers with the same type of break in them

If someone used it in the past, I'm curious how they got signal from Telus to it

Well that is one part explained then
pb2k
Calgary, AB

pb2k to kevinds

to kevinds
I'd hazard a guess that the chopped off wire was feeding the signal into the jack (either from Telus or Shaw) and the previous owner/tenant chopped it off before departing.

I'd keep looking for a master jack, as neither picture you posted looks correct; normally you'd expect 1 cable coming from the demarc and 1 or more feeding the rest of the unit. I'd also check any of the rooms that have the chopped off cat5e cables to try and figure out where they went.
ttvtech

ttvtech to kevinds

to kevinds
The 2pr wire is Shaws, a previous occupant had phone from them. There would have been a Shaw DPT nearby. Neither of those is the master jack. Shaw probably found where the drop meets the inside wire and cut there. Keep looking.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Yeah, as far as I can tell, I also used a toner & probe, those to wires are connected to each other, but can not find any other twisted pair in the place, except which I ran.

I believe the lines in the pictures were put in when the place was built.

I have all of Shaw's cabling traced and labelled (basement electrical panel), but can not find Telus'.

Unfinished basement, so it must come in from the attic space, but no idea how it gets there.

If Shaw phone, previously, that would explain what the Cat 5 was for, leading out the broken wall-jack.

I've been looking for blank wall plates, and other telephone jacks, haven't found any, even opened up the coax jacks, no twisted pair.
ttvtech

ttvtech

If the shaw drop enters in the basement, chances are that the tel cable does/did too. I'd say 95%+ of townhouses enter into the basement. And the ones that do enter from above usually terminte in the MBR. Does the shaw cable come up a conduit? Is there an empty one nearby? It might help to knock on a neighbor's door if they have an unfinished bsmt, that might give you some clues.

You sure you don't have a jack in the kitchen? That's a common place to terminate, and I don't think I've seen many units without a jack there. Unfortunately, they sometimes get covered with cabinets or backsplashes.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Click for full size
Shaw cable comes in right here...

Small black one is my Sirius antenna, white one is the power for my parking space, black coax cable is the main Shaw line, the other black one is for the cable outlet in the bedroom.
pb2k
Calgary, AB

pb2k

I wouldn't normally mention this, as I've never seen it myself, but I have heard stories of shaw techs deliberately cutting the Telus line such that it was too short to be usable and/or pushed it back into the wall.

ttvtech's advice of asking a friendly neighbour if you can look in their basement (or heck, even at their phone jacks, if they'd allow it) is probably your next best bet. If you know where the wire is suppose to be, it'll give you an indication on how to proceed.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

I'll have to try visiting a neighbor this week then.

But yeah, I've heard stories going both ways about that

Also called a Telus tech back to investigate... Hopefully I don't get billed the $99 I was threatened with, or if I do, that service will work afterward

nss_tech
Edmonton AB

nss_tech

If they have to do work on the inside wiring, more often than not they will charge for it. There may be the odd rare exception depending on what specifically has to be done.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

1 edit

kevinds

Premium Member

That won't bother me, as long as it gets my service working lol
ttvtech

ttvtech to kevinds

to kevinds
That's a little odd shaw seems to come in a wall instead of conduit. Was the shaw cable added after the building was built? If it's run on the outside, that would make sense. And then the tel line might be nowhere near the shaw line.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

1 edit

kevinds

Premium Member

That I am not sure of.

All but one of the coax outlets are fished through the walls, so I believe the cable was built with the home, not added after.

I haven't pulled the insulation out, so there may be a conduit behind there, but confirmed the Telus wire should enter in the master-bedroom as the master-jack
kevinds

kevinds

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
This panel is from another building (mine is a locked panel), and you can see in the picture the end of the building. Not sure how they are marked/labeled which go where.

So, I have to go through many yards to run a new cable myself, plus keep it out of sight/reach so that someone else doesn't see it and nicely remove it for me.

But this is my update so far,

nss_tech
Edmonton AB

nss_tech to ttvtech

to ttvtech
said by ttvtech:

That's a little odd shaw seems to come in a wall instead of conduit. Was the shaw cable added after the building was built? If it's run on the outside, that would make sense. And then the tel line might be nowhere near the shaw line.

At my old place Shaw ran a line right through the wall without conduit when internet was installed. This was maybe 10 years ago and about 20 after the house was built.