uniqs

former qwest
Premium Member
join:2014-01-04
out there

former qwest

Premium Member

216-987-1249 "we see trouble on your windows machine"

my response: "I suggest you hang up, I'm going to do the same". statements from reverse number look up:

* Your name and comments will be visible on Whitepages.
Submit

Thanks, your comment has been submitted.

Recent Comments

Anonymous3/19/2015
Yep, me too. Said he was from windows, Indian accent, said they'd been getting error messages from my computer. I told him I had not had any problems he hung up.

A Web User3/19/2015
called house many times can't understand caller speaking its a scam

Cynthia Prosper3/16/2015
Said he can walk me step by step in fixing my computer. He said he was from Windows. Try calling the number back. It says the number r code your calling is incorrect.

Jenifer 3/12/2015
Called to tell me that my Microsoft Windows computer was infected and was contacting them

Anthony3/11/2015
Some type of scam saying they have received numerous signals from my computer indicating a server error?wtf and they need to repair it.

dont want to say3/10/2015
They called and said they have alot weird things coming from my computor !! I said really? How odd ? I dont have a computor.........they hung up !! STRANGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Smarter than them3/4/2015
This is a scammer - told me they were from "Windows" and had noticed suspicious activity on my computer and needed my personal information in order to "monitor" for viruses.
Nanaki (banned)
aka novaflare. pull punches? Na
join:2002-01-24
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

216 is a cleveland ohio number.
The Antihero
join:2002-04-09
Enola, PA

The Antihero to former qwest

to former qwest

Re: 216-987-1249 "we see trouble on your windows machine"

My son likes to screw with scammers like that. One of them was actually dumb enough to give him a callback number, and my son kept calling him back after he got frustrated and started hanging up on him. The scammer kept trying to tell him he had the wrong number, and not to call him anymore (they hate it when the shoe is on the other foot, apparently.) My son messed with this one for a good 45 minutes. He even recorded the whole thing.
b_p_smith
Premium Member
join:2002-02-13
Merrickville, ON

4 recommendations

b_p_smith

Premium Member

So your son just assumed that the callback number given was real? More likely it was a fake number, and your son has been harassing some poor schmuck totally uninvolved.

We all know (or should know) that spoofing CallerID is pretty much a given. A common new twist is for the spoofing to use the same area code & first-three digits of *your* phone number as CallarID, thus trying to fool people into thinking it's a neighbor or local calling.
Whip5
join:2009-01-23
Califon, NJ

Whip5

said by b_p_smith:

So your son just assumed that the callback number given was real? More likely it was a fake number, and your son has been harassing some poor schmuck totally uninvolved.

We all know (or should know) that spoofing CallerID is pretty much a given. A common new twist is for the spoofing to use the same area code & first-three digits of *your* phone number as CallarID, thus trying to fool people into thinking it's a neighbor or local calling.

There is a scammer that is using a Nevada number that's done something similar here. They just changed the area code to my local one sometimes after I blocked the Nevada number but the core of the number '359-9089' is the same. They call repeatedly one after another to try and circumvent call blocking. Once in a while they'll try the Nevada number again to see if it's unblocked.

Kibbles
Premium Member
join:1999-07-31
Mission Viejo, CA

Kibbles to former qwest

Premium Member

to former qwest
One call from "MS Support" came in today from 209-631-2059...I told him I do not have a PC and he then told me again that my computer is sending them error messages

I guess there are enough people falling for these scams that it is still profitable.
Aranarth
join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI

Aranarth to former qwest

to former qwest
These guys call me one or twice a week. I ask them which one out 3 laptops and 4 desktop machines in my house are sending the error.

I asked one how long he has been supporting windows machines. He said 5 years, then told him that I've had 25 years (since 1988) using windows and is there anything I can help him with?

I asked a different one where he was calling from. He said Miami, Florida. I asked him to hold on a sec and then gave him the local FBI office ((813) 253-1000) and asked him to call me back there...
The Antihero
join:2002-04-09
Enola, PA

The Antihero to b_p_smith

to b_p_smith
said by b_p_smith:

No, it was a real number. The scammer had actually called my son's great aunt on his mother's side, and while she doesn't know much about computers, she was at least smart enough to know something sounded fishy. She told them she needed to discuss it with someone, and got the scammer to give her a callback number.

When my son first contacted them, they tried to get him to open a session so they could remote into his PC, tried to get credit card information, the whole nine yards. It was only after he had already wasted a good chunk of their time, and he kept calling back after they hung up on him, that they tried to tell him he had the wrong number.

Umitencho
join:2012-08-11
Jacksonville, FL

Umitencho to Whip5

to Whip5
I got a call from them my self last Saturday. The caller ID came up as restricted and I move along with the conversation since had bigger fish to fry when it comes to customers service...coughcoughcomcomcastcough.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium Member
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
Actiontec GT784WN

DC DSL to former qwest

Premium Member

to former qwest
I love to f* around with these idiots if I have a few minutes when they call. The one who rang me on Friday:

Derpster: "We are noticing many virus from your computer. I can fix for you."

Me: "What is the IP address you're seeing this from? I have many computers."

Derpster: "What is 'IP address'? It is from your computer."

Me: "The unique network identifier of the computer. Which one are you seeing bad stuff from?"

Derpster: "It is your computer. I said virus, not bad stuff."

Me: "But, WHICH computer? I have many of them."

Derpster: "You do not understand. Your computer is sending virus that is recorded by our advanced Windows. I can correct. Please give me your name, address, telephone number, and a MasterCard or Visa credit card number so I may begin fixing."

Me: "Why do you need my name, address, and phone number? You said you know it is my computer, and you called me."

Derpster: "Because your computer is source of many virus harming Windows."

Me: But you called me. Why do you need my phone number? And, how do you know it is my computer if you don't know my name or address?"

Derpster: "We require the information to confirm and to begin correction of your virus."

Me: "No, you require the information to steal my money."

Derpster: "We do not take your money! We only accept credit card."

Me: "I can't give you my credit card because I maxed it out talking to your mum on the phone last night. Tell her she was great!"

Derpster: "I do not understand. I am calling you about your virus interfering with Windows."

Me: "That is what your mum said last night. You know, your voice is just as sexy as hers? What are you wearing? Do you like men with large endowments?"

Derpster: "Please, give me your information so I can correct virus."

Me: "Sorry, I can't. If my husband found out about me and your mother, and you, I would be in a lot of trouble. It was nice talking with you. I have to go now. Call me again, soon!"

Umitencho
Jacksonville, FL

Umitencho

You should of recorded that call and put it on youtube for us to laugh at even harder.

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

dandelion to former qwest

MVM

to former qwest
I am really glad I saw this..

I am getting a LOT of "hello, hello, hello" then hang up calls. When doing a search they all come back to the windows Albert guy. The latest is from 214-396-9037

»800notes.com/Phone.aspx/ ··· 396-9037

Ameritcslave
join:2002-09-22
Decatur, TX

Ameritcslave to The Antihero

to The Antihero
I have enjoyed using virtual machines and recording them doing their work. Sometimes it gets to a point where the scammer realizes it's not a real machine. Once they started yelling at me saying how I was trying to hack them. I wish I recorded the audio on that call. Since then, I do the screen capture and the voice capture.

VerdeDude
Here Kitty Kitty
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Northern Az.

VerdeDude to former qwest

Premium Member

to former qwest

I received calls almost daily from these scammers, so I decided to try messing with them.

When they call, I answer and hear that it is the "Windows security Dept" and I blurt out "I can't talk now, there is blood everywhere, and the police are on the way!"

Must have bothered them, I haven't had calls from these scammers for a few weeks now!

AppleGuy
Premium Member
join:2013-09-08
Kitchener, ON

AppleGuy to Kibbles

Premium Member

to Kibbles

MS has called me a couple times, they do have a legit number, one of them is 1-877-696-7786. Of course, they're not calling you to ask that they access your computer. Last time a scammer called me I said I was on Mac OS X (which was truthful).
hchen42
join:1999-12-23
New York, NY

hchen42 to former qwest

to former qwest
ha ha, lot of good one here on "having fun with the scammers".

Sometimes, I would mimick their accent. Though my favorite is talking like Cecil Turtle. T-a-l-k s-l-o-w-l-y. I would spell out the word "typing".

Umitencho
Jacksonville, FL

Umitencho to VerdeDude

to VerdeDude

I got a call from one of these scamers again. Said they were from tech support and there was issues with my computer that they can fix for a minimum of $99.99. I preceded to ask them for verification of who they were and the guy asks "What do you want me to do?". I asked for verification that they were legit and the guy said goodbye, so I called them a scamer and hung up before he did. I also mentioned to him that "tech support" is a stupid way introduce yourself as just about every company that handles some from of hardware or software has tech support.

number called: 226-743-4488
jsouth
Jsouth
join:2000-12-12
Wichita, KS

2 recommendations

jsouth to former qwest

to former qwest

I told one guy that called me. that "I am looking at my windows right now. I can see that it is raining really hard now, but I don't see any messages." I then asked what pills should I take if I do start to see some error messages. The line went dead.

N10Cities
Premium Member
join:2002-05-07

N10Cities to hchen42

Premium Member

to hchen42
Mmmmmm.....yuup....that ....would...do...it....alriiiight......mmmmyuuuup! LOL

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert to former qwest

Mod

to former qwest
I received one of these calls this morning.

Caller ID said: MACDONALD TERRY 19897280130.

When I answered, he mentioned my name then started with "I'm calling from Windows". Then he started to describe problems.

I replied: "You're a scammer, so buzz off."

He hung up.

The caller had an accent. He did not sound at all like a "Terry MacDonald".

I mainly use linux, so telling me about a Windows problem wasn't a good move.

Doctor Four
My other vehicle is a TARDIS
Premium Member
join:2000-09-05
Dallas, TX

Doctor Four to former qwest

Premium Member

to former qwest
Yes these scammers are still at it. I just now got a call from someone with an Indian accent claiming to be from a "Windows Support Center" or something like that. When he mentioned that, I just hung up on him, knowing he was a fake tech support scammer.

captokita
Premium Member
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

captokita to former qwest

Premium Member

to former qwest
I never answer my phone, so I don't get to talk to these clods. My elderly mother talked to one, he said he was from Microsoft, and that her PC had a virus. She started messing with them saying she couldn't get to her computer, and that it hasn't been on for weeks, and just seeing how long he would try for. Eventually she said she'd have her son look at it, to which the guy told her to f-off and hung up. I was proud.

Sadly though, I get plenty of machines in here per week from people that let these clowns remote in, so just imagine how many people all over fall for it. $$$$