uniqs
trix102111
join:2015-03-22
south africa

trix102111

Kerio Control & Ubiquiti CPE's in router mode

Hi,

Can someone please help me out.

I recently started a WISP using Kerio Control as my router and Ubiquity radios for my base stations and CPE's.

Currently my CPE's are running in bridge mode and I have to manually configure my clients IP addresses.

I want to configure the CPE's to use router mode so that I can protect the rest of my network and also assign IP's using the DHCP feature of router mode.

I tried connecting with router mode but I'm not getting any internet access.

My current setup is as follows:

Kerio Control IP: 192.168.1.20

CPE static range: 192.168.1.0/24

Clients IP range: 192.168.1.0/24

Clients GW & DNS: 192.168.1.20

How do I configure the CPE's and Kerio Control to accept requests from the CPE's that are in router mode?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
SBBVince
Premium Member
join:2009-07-22
Simpsonville, KY

SBBVince

Premium Member

I am not familiar at all with Kerio Control. I am assuming this is some sort of physical appliance at your core? Is Kerio Control acting as your DNS server? If not, are you running your own DNS server in house?

However, setting up the CPE for router mode is rather simple.

Here some thoughts though before you move forward. There are some basic network management practices you might want to consider before move forward. Here are my thoughts:

It is good practice to keep the WAN facing IP and the customer facing IP on different subnets. For example, the CPE IP could be 10.x.x.x and the customer's DHCP leases from the CPE could be 192.168.x.x. This will save on confusion and keep you from confusing IPs.

Also if you are just starting out you may want to consider using DHCP and something like IPPlan to manage your subnets. This will save you from pulling you hair out down the line and make general network management easier. Another alternative is to use PPPoE via Radius at the customer's router.

Right now, the way you have everything set up, it is all on the same subnet. This is going to cause problems, possibly like the ones you have right now. If you are just starting your setup, this shouldn't be too difficult.

Those are the first things that I noticed off the top of my head that are going to make this a lot more difficult than it needs to be. A simple network topology would make it easier to help you as well. Even if I can't answer all of your questions, with that information someone with more knowledge could certainly help you out.
raytaylor
join:2009-07-28

raytaylor to trix102111

to trix102111
I used to run an older version of kerio control - called kerio winroute when running my wisp.

You need to run the cpe radios in router mode.
Enter the mac addresses as dhcp reservations in kerio
wirelessdog
join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog

Its not just good practice to run the client facing interface on a different subnet that your network facing interface, if you don't do that it won't work.
SBBVince
Premium Member
join:2009-07-22
Simpsonville, KY

SBBVince to trix102111

Premium Member

to trix102111
Yeah, that too. I guess what I meant in terms of best practice doing the 10.x.x.x on the WAN side and 192.168.x.x on the LAN side.

I know not everyone subscribes to this specific design method, but it is the most common setup I have seen over my short career.
trix102111
join:2015-03-22
south africa

trix102111

Thanks for the help guys!

I managed to get it to work. I think the one issue was the same subnet and the other issue was a radio with the wrong gateway address.

Much appreciated.