dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
windaz
join:2010-09-23

windaz

12v car charger able to charge 4 USB devices?

»www.dx.com/p/4-port-usb- ··· v-152356

Output = 5v. Does that mean when 4 devices are connected it gives out 20v? Is that possible when it only has an input of 12v?

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

Nope, 5V 1A, each connector is 5V

Tursiops_G
Technoid
MVM
join:2002-02-06
Brooksville, FL

1 edit

3 recommendations

Tursiops_G to windaz

MVM

to windaz
The REAL question is: Can it provide 1A to ALL 4 devices at the same time (4A Total), or is it only capable of 1A MAX (500mA/ea for 2, 333mA/ea for 3, or 250mA/ea for 4)?

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

said by Tursiops_G:

Can it provide 1A to ALL 4 devices at the same time (4A Total), or is it only capable of 1A MAX

I'll take a wild guess - total output is 5V @1A.

One has to wonder what will happen if total load exceeds 1A - magic smoke or just shutdown. I'm pretty sure there are no smarts inside that let devices communicate with the charger.

/tom

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to Tursiops_G

Premium Member

to Tursiops_G
said by Tursiops_G:

The REAL question is: Can it provide 1A to ALL 4 devices at the same time (4A Total), or is it only capable of 1A MAX (500mA/ea for 2, 333mA/ea for 3, or 250mA/ea for 4)?

Yep people see the package says 5V 1A or 2 A or whatever.. gotta read the charger specs to see if it's split

I know it was hard to find a 5V 2A charger but was not bulky.. I ended up having to order from Amazon.

SmokChsr
Who let the magic smoke out?
Premium Member
join:2006-03-17
Saint Augustine, FL

SmokChsr to tschmidt

Premium Member

to tschmidt
said by tschmidt:

ne has to wonder what will happen if total load exceeds 1A

Just a guess, from what I've seen using other similar devices, it just current limits, causing the voltage to sag. It may even send an over current signal of some sort out. I know if I have a heavy draw device plugged in and I then plug in an Iphone, the Iphone 4 pops up a caution sign saying charging is not supported. Unplug the other device and the Iphone will charge just fine. I just don't know if there is some sort of status signal being sent or the Iphone just detects the voltage drop when it tries to charge.