join:2012-11-17
New York, NY

2 edits

nony to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude

Re: [Internet] backup modem with Time Warner

said by antdude:

Maybe he needs a backup Internet provider too.

That's why I have one set of routers connected to both FIOS and TWC at the same time, with route diversity.

Plus a back haul point-to-point link to the Google building, at 111 8th Avenue. (I have line of sight).
---
But seriously, when working on an emergency preparedness/disaster recovery (home) plan, you need to conduct a single-point-of-failure analysis to flesh out the likely failures that you want to protect against. And I know this painfully well.

-nony
Mystic95Z
join:2005-05-10
Orlando, FL

Mystic95Z

said by nony:

said by antdude:

That's why I have one set of routers connected to both FIOS and TWC at the same time, with route diversity.

Plus a back haul point-to-point link to the Google building, at 111 8th Avenue. (I have line of sight).
---
But seriously, when working on an emergency preparedness/disaster recovery (home) plan, you need to conduct a single-point-of-failure analysis to flesh out the likely failures that you want to protect against. And I know this painfully well.

-nony

Addicted to the internet much? I work from home and if my internet goes out I'll just go into the office...

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
said by antdude:

said by cousintim:

Amazon is your backup modem. It can deliver a new modem to you overnight, if need be.

Assuming his TWC still works. Maybe he needs a backup Internet provider too.

Hey if you are running a business from home, that is actually a sound business investment. The backup account doesn't have to be fast. I know people who run their business from home, have TWC as their main internet, and the cheapest form of DSL or U-Verse (usually 3 Mbps or something) as a secondary ISP, running over a secondary, independent line and network. Sure, it costs them $35 a month extra (or whatever the cheapest U-Verse or DSL plan costs nowadays) but as a business sending out that ONE email can be the difference of getting an order or not. And 3 Mbps is good enough to run email and such through so you can continue to stay in touch with your customers.
Mystic95Z
Orlando, FL

Mystic95Z

said by maartena:

said by antdude:

said by cousintim:

Amazon is your backup modem. It can deliver a new modem to you overnight, if need be.

Assuming his TWC still works. Maybe he needs a backup Internet provider too.

Hey if you are running a business from home, that is actually a sound business investment. The backup account doesn't have to be fast. I know people who run their business from home, have TWC as their main internet, and the cheapest form of DSL or U-Verse (usually 3 Mbps or something) as a secondary ISP, running over a secondary, independent line and network. Sure, it costs them $35 a month extra (or whatever the cheapest U-Verse or DSL plan costs nowadays) but as a business sending out that ONE email can be the difference of getting an order or not. And 3 Mbps is good enough to run email and such through so you can continue to stay in touch with your customers.

Heck these days you don't even need that, mobile hotspot on your cell phone.
nony
Premium Member
New York, NY

nony to Mystic95Z

Premium Member

to Mystic95Z
said by Mystic95Z:

Addicted to the internet much? I work from home and if my internet goes out I'll just go into the office...

If you are home-bound, and rely upon medical telemetry you are not going to any office. But your point is well taken. Maybe you can live with an outage if you have acceptable recourse.

-nony
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

The medical telemetry I've been around all uses the cellular networks for communication back to the home office.
nony
Premium Member
New York, NY

1 edit

nony

Premium Member

said by ke4pym:

The medical telemetry I've been around all uses the cellular networks for communication back to the home office.

Good for you!

And good luck next super-storm.

You might want to consider that the op has asked about a sensible, cost-effective, and fault-tolerant solution.

-nony
ke4pym
Premium Member
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

said by nony:

said by ke4pym:

Good for you!

And good luck next super-storm.

You might want to consider that the op has asked about a sensible, cost-effective, and fault-tolerant solution.

-nony

Exactly, so why did you bring up medical telemetry? OP just wanted to know about a backup modem. Not fault tolerance....
Mystic95Z
Orlando, FL

Mystic95Z

said by ke4pym:

Exactly, so why did you bring up medical telemetry? OP just wanted to know about a backup modem. Not fault tolerance....

And I'm betting that during super storm Sandy fault tolerance wouldn't have meant shit if you lived up in that area...
nony
Premium Member
New York, NY

nony

Premium Member

said by Mystic95Z:

And I'm betting that during super storm Sandy fault tolerance wouldn't have meant shit if you lived up in that area...

In my particular area, we lost power for over a week, but my phone service never went down.

Never give up your pots line!

-nony

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
Orange, CA

maartena to nony

Premium Member

to nony
said by nony:

said by Mystic95Z:

If you are home-bound, and rely upon medical telemetry you are not going to any office. But your point is well taken. Maybe you can live with an outage if you have acceptable recourse.

-nony

In the past medical telemetry equipment just hooked up to a phone line and dials out every so often and/or dials out in an emergency. (e.g Home Dialysis) More recently I have seen stuff with built in cellular devices for communication so you can actually go be outside and still wear your monitor.

In any case, Internet access is a necessity for modern life, certainly for those like me who do not subscribe to television anymore and get virtually all entertainment on-screen by means of internet. But it isn't a "life or death" situation. As others have mentioned, if I really really needed internet, i'll set my phone as a wifi access point, and just limit traffic to web browsing and email. It seems that people have forgotten what life was like before we had internet. And an outage isn't really an outage anymore these days with everyone having smart phones that connect to the internet.
omghi2u
join:2001-02-05

omghi2u to nony

to nony
said by nony:

said by Mystic95Z:

In my particular area, we lost power for over a week, but my phone service never went down.

Never give up your pots line!

-nony

Where my apartment and office was in Manhattan (several miles apart), we lost power, POTS, cable, DSL, fiber, cellular, you name it, for quite some time. In fact, in various parts of the the city, they never fixed the ancient POTS and simply told customers they could switch to fiber or another solution for voice.
nony
Premium Member
New York, NY

nony

Premium Member

said by omghi2u:

we lost power, POTS,

How could you have lost your POTS connection? We are talking straight copper from your premises to your serving telco central office (which in my case is the 18th St. co).

Do you really have a pots line terminated with a dumb phone which requires no external power?

-nony
ke4pym
Premium Member
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

said by nony:

How could you have lost your POTS connection?

During our last major storm of ice in 2002, I was without utility power for a week. 36 hours in to the power outage and my POTS line went dead. It didn't come back for nearly 3 days after power was restored in my area.

IIRC there was a lot of under ground flooding that damaged a lot of equipment when Sandy came through.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612 to nony

MVM

to nony
In my location, which is virtually served because we are too far from the CO, our phones will be out within a day if the power doesn't come back up in the area. DSL will be down right away. Verizon has to bring a generator out to the remote terminal to keep it powered up. In some cases, they don't end up doing that at all.

Our cell towers also behave similarly. They will fall to EDGE or 1X service after about 6 hours without power.
omghi2u

omghi2u to nony

to nony
said by nony:

said by omghi2u:

we lost power, POTS,

How could you have lost your POTS connection? We are talking straight copper from your premises to your serving telco central office (which in my case is the 18th St. co).

Do you really have a pots line terminated with a dumb phone which requires no external power?

-nony

Salt water does not mix well with any sort of wires/equipment. Sandy was a real bitch.
nony
Premium Member
New York, NY

4 edits

nony

Premium Member

In the event of a sustained power outage, only your pots lines will remain operational. In my high rise, all my FIOS/TWC voip subs lost their land line phone service within minutes after the East 14th Street substation explosion. Everyone with copper continued to have service.

Two of our Manhattan CO's took a hit-

140 West St. Central Office 1-day outage (hardened after 9/11)
104 Broad St. Central Office 11-day outage (should be hardened by now)

»www.nyc.gov/html/sirr/do ··· gles.pdf
See A Tale of Two Central Offices p.167 in the above doc

-nony
Mystic95Z
Orlando, FL

Mystic95Z

said by nony:

In the event of a sustained power outage, only your pots lines will remain operational.

Yeah SO long as the POTS lines are not damaged, which happened to ALOT of people during Sandy and VZ said FU get wireless or whatever... We aren't fixin it.

Edit: And that left DSL subs screwed since they used the same POTS lines...
handlebar
join:2011-02-25
Grover, NC

handlebar to ke4pym

to ke4pym
said by ke4pym:

said by maartena:

and call them for re-activation. That whole deal can be done in under 15 minutes, unless you are on hold for a while with phone support.

Ahahahahahaha. Odd you mention this!

I called in yesterday morning to have my shiny new 6183 registered. At 30 minutes into the call the tech was still stumbling around.

I asked to get escalated because it was taking too long. It took 6 minutes for the tech to transfer me.

The other end rang, then went silent. After about 3 minutes, I went to hang up and the call dropped. Started cussing and dialing the number again. A call comes in as I'm about to yell at the IVR. Switch over, it's a T2 tech calling.

He had it done in 45 seconds after he kicked the other guy out of my record.

It ... was ... painful.

The modem came. I put it on a splitter and called TWC through my other modem. When I finished talking to the robot, I noticed that the DS, US, and Online lights on the new modem had gone from flashing amber to green. The Link light was out. As I had no backup phone, the lady said she'd call back in a few minutes to see if I was ready to deactivate the old modem.

I connected the new modem to my ATA and got flashing amber on the link. When I bypassed the ATA and connected directly to my computer, it turned green. It seemed the modem was incompatible with my ATA and I didn't know why.

Then I found that nothing would work with my old modem although the lights said it was online. I discovered that my computer would work with my new modem, through the ATA, although the link light was flashing amber. That allowed me to download the modem manual. The flashing amber meant merely that the ATA was 10/100 Base T Ethernet.

TWC is fedexing me me a box to return my old modem at no cost.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to nony

Premium Member

to nony
said by nony:

said by antdude:

---

-nony

You're lucky. I don't have any other broadband services that compete. I uses EarthLink's dial-up on the copper wire (no DSL for being over 19,500 feet to CO).

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
Orange, CA

maartena to nony

Premium Member

to nony
said by nony:

said by omghi2u:

we lost power, POTS,

-nony

I know people who didn't have a POTS phone line for 3 months after Katrina hit. And no, they didn't live near New Orleans or the coast in general, but about 2 hours inland. The damage from Katrina was so widespread the telephone companies just didn't have enough time to fix it all.

As a matter of fact, the mobile masts were up and running a lot sooner, as 1 mast covered e.g. a 5 mile radius, and it was easier to just put a generator near it and get communications back up in an area.

The same people by the way did not have electricity for 4 weeks. That was a higher priority to get back up and running then phone lines I would think.
ke4pym
Premium Member
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to handlebar

Premium Member

to handlebar
said by handlebar:

Glad to hear you got it going.

I would STRONGLY advise you to take a ride to the local TWC office (Shelby?) and turn it in and get a receipt that you can hold on too.

Things have a way of getting lost in the mail.
omghi2u

omghi2u

said by ke4pym:

said by handlebar:

I would STRONGLY advise you to take a ride to the local TWC office (Shelby?) and turn it in and get a receipt that you can hold on too.

Just save the tracking #...
handlebar
join:2011-02-25
Grover, NC

handlebar to ke4pym

to ke4pym
said by ke4pym:

said by handlebar:

Been there, done that...

When I signed up for Uverse, I backed out because they still hadn't fixed my phone line a week after installation. When I went to mail the modem back, I discovered that AT&T had removed the return labels from the backing pape. I phoned, and they sent me new labels.

Six months later, they sent me a bill for the modem, claiming I hadn't returned it. I was able to go online and find proof that they'd received it in Dallas. If I'd flown down there to deliver it, I probably would have misplaced the darned receipt!