join:2010-06-28
Tallahassee, FL
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter PoE
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC

GraysonPeddi

Buying Table As My Computer Desk

Click for full size
Crampy Desk
I am looking forward to buying a table as my computer desk, along with a keyboard tray that is low enough for my hands to type below the desk. My current desk is too short and inflexible, so instead of buying a pre-built desk, I've had a look at this:

78.75" by 23.625" Linnmon/Adils Table

Looking at the table, this is more than what I wanted for placing my two bookshelf speakers and my 40" TV since I use it as my monitor. However, the thickness of the table seems to be 1.25" to 1.375", so I wanted something no thicker than 1".

Is there really an alternative that is long and deep enough to fit a Pioneer center speaker behind my monitor?

I once saw an Altra Credenza over at Amazon.com for a decent price of $99 with free shipping, but it's too shallow at 19.5". It is a lot better deal than IKEA's, since they will charge me $350+ for shipping and I will have to confirm the final delivery which could be a phone call from IKEA, but no thanks. I'm hearing impaired. Plus, IKEA is about 350+ miles away from where I live in Bainbridge and I work temporarily as a file folder assembler until I move out around August of this year (second photo in the "Spotlight" where it has my name "Grayson Peddie").

Oh, and this part is off-topic: If you can see every pixel in a 40" 1080p TV when used as a monitor, then that's great. Move along.

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy

MVM

I'd say Ikea may be your best bet. Check out this page.

The BEKANT looks like the replacement for Gallant that I purchased. Basically a long deep desk. This one is 55 1/8" x 23 5/8" deep. You'd need a separate keyboard tray.

this one is 63" x 31 1/2" deep if you need wider and deeper.

Since they are both height adjustable you could also go with a desktop keyboard drawer if you wanted.

runnoft
Premium Member
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC

1 edit

runnoft to GraysonPeddi

Premium Member

to GraysonPeddi
I also have an Ikea Gallant workstation table with two 24+" monitors and small L-R speakers. The height on these is quite adjustable. They come in various sizes. Whether one is deep enough for your needs, you can check and see. I'm eyeballing my Ikea and guessing it's 0.75 inch thick, maybe an inch. I have a 3M keyboard tray, one of the pricier 23" models, which I like in use very much--also quite adjustable--but it was a pain in the butt to install on the Ikea. See the Amazon reviews a few of which of describe the problem and the fix. Then I have an Elfa rolling cart with mesh drawers underneath. It's all held up really well for years. I'd do it again if it died in a fire.
GraysonPeddi
Grayson Peddie
Tallahassee, FL

GraysonPeddi to Kilroy

to Kilroy
I have my eyes set in Linnmon/Adis 78x23" table, but the shipping cost is $350, so there is no way I can afford a shipping cost.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

said by GraysonPeddi:

I have my eyes set in Linnmon/Adis 78x23" table, but the shipping cost is $350, so there is no way I can afford a shipping cost.

How far is the Ikea store in Sweetwater, FL 33172 and can you get it there?
GraysonPeddi
Grayson Peddie
Tallahassee, FL
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter PoE
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC

GraysonPeddi

From my apartment (39819) to IKEA in Atlanta: 247 miles, 3 hours, 47 minutes.
IKEA 33172: 7 hours, 28 minutes, 524 miles.
IKEA Orlando: 4 hours, 21 minutes, 294 miles.
IKEA Tampa: 4 hours, 40 minutes, 314 miles.

3 hours is too long. Because I cannot drive, my mom will have to take me there.

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

dandelion to GraysonPeddi

MVM

to GraysonPeddi
I had a desk for ages.. hidden PC, pull out drawer for keyboard the works.. nice little light above until it went out then hard to replace.

I love my table desk. PC is on it behind my 32 in. TV monitor.. saves heat and dog hairs getting in it , A nice looking table lamp is near my keyboard which actually sits on top of the desk next to my mouse.. all within easy reach. I would never trade it.
GraysonPeddi
Grayson Peddie
Tallahassee, FL
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter PoE
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC

GraysonPeddi

No alternatives to IKEA for cheap 60" tables? Maybe I could just go to Lowes and ask someone to cut out a 60"/30" piece of wood and I'll just buy legs separately that is not from IKEA, but I don't know how much it's going to cost...

My mom can easily take me there from Bainbridge, GA.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3 to GraysonPeddi

Premium Member

to GraysonPeddi
There are other options. People have converted tables for all kind of usage.
Quilters want sewing machines flush with surface of table, there are adaptations to drop the machine.

I had a 60" top from an old executive desk for a cutting table. I could stand on it, it was so heavy.

Go to a used office furniture store and find a desk. Then add a keyboard tray and any other accessories you want. Executive desks are rather large. The top I was using was 60X25.
LittleBill
join:2013-05-24

LittleBill

although i think using a tv as a monitor that close is stupid, why don't you just wall mount the tv, and open up all the space in front of you? it will cost you 20 vs 500 or whatever

dandelion
MVM
Germantown, TN

MVM

to GraysonPeddi
I looked at furniture stores rather then office places for a computer table. Depends how much you want to spend. I like the idea of wall mounted though since I wear glasses and can use the TV monitor without it would still have to be close for me.
GraysonPeddi
Grayson Peddie
Tallahassee, FL
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter PoE
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC

GraysonPeddi to LittleBill

to LittleBill
If you think that's stupid, then move along. Period. Because you know what? If I am forced to go with a 27" monitor at 1920x1080, I will be viewing 0.5" to 1" away from the screen. I will be squinting and hurting my back. I get tired of using a magnifier long ago when I went with a 40" TV as a monitor.

As for wall-mounting, how do I patch the holes once my lease for my apartment is up? How can I don't want to deal with the hassle? What are my options then?
LittleBill

LittleBill

im confused are you legally blind? my neighbor who is legally blind uses a 19 inch monitor, and is fine, yes he is close to the screen and the resolution is lower, but im really confused here.

if your saying a 27 inch you couldn't see, then wall mounting won't work as that will move the screen back 10 inches?

and Spackle and paint will fix the holes
GraysonPeddi
Grayson Peddie
Tallahassee, FL
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter PoE
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC

GraysonPeddi

Yeah, but more like 16" away. I will have to have an arm extension such as Mount-it! MI-411L TV Wall Mount with 25" extension from the wall and mount it in such a way that instead of swinging from left to right, I can raise and lower the TV if I want to. At least I still have enough room to place my center speaker below my mount's arm.

Could a wall-mount bracket be screwed into a hutch? That way, I don't have to worry about painting the wall once I move out.
LittleBill

LittleBill

the mounts are designed to go into wall studs, the hutch would have to modified to accept that additional weight.

if your moving the tv right back to where it is now, then what exactly are you gaining?

you did not answer my first question, are you blind? i don't understand why you can't see the screen?

dandelion
MVM
Germantown, TN

MVM

to GraysonPeddi
Having to wear glasses, I like to play without them and can't see my TV screen clearly unless fairly close. Mounted behind my table is not close enough for me either. It sets nicely on the table with keyboard and mouse in front. If using a nice wooden table you can get a long mouse pad to protect it also.
GraysonPeddi
Grayson Peddie
Tallahassee, FL

GraysonPeddi to LittleBill

to LittleBill
Yes, I'm visually impaired and I did not state it in my first post. But why does it matter if I'm visually impaired or not?

Well, thanks for your help anyway. I'll look for a table with a thin table top. (sigh)
LittleBill

LittleBill

said by GraysonPeddi:

Yes, I'm visually impaired and I did not state it in my first post. But why does it matter if I'm visually impaired or not?

Well, thanks for your help anyway. I'll look for a table with a thin table top. (sigh)

because it removes some options for you, thats all

SunnyDays
join:2015-03-24
Ireland

SunnyDays to GraysonPeddi

to GraysonPeddi
I like that Ikea table you posted actually. I need a new desk too and ight get one of these for myself
Expand your moderator at work