Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

1 edit

fartness (banned)

[Appliances] Leaking washing machine

Click for full size
Click for full size
I bought this a few months ago from Home Depot. Too annoyed to find the receipt right now but it was less than a year ago. I didn't get any extra upsell warranties or anything like that.

Did two loads today and each load produced a similar result of leaking. See the paper towel. Any idea what it could be?

I'm guessing this gets a year warranty from the manufacturer. Will I have to still pay labor or how does this process usually work out?

I'm in the process of getting my kitchen remodeled and going on vacation in a few weeks, for a month. I'll have to deal with this when I get back. I hate owning a home, it's always something.

I think this is what I bought:
»www.homedepot.com/p/Mayt ··· 05332133
scott_urman
join:2002-07-18
San Mateo, CA

scott_urman

[Appliances] Re: Leaking washing machine

Two suggestions, both of which have caused leaks with our front load washer. Make sure the drain pipe is properly sized and not clogged. In our case, there was 20 years worth of crud down there and it would back up during the drain cycle. Much more water than you're seeing, though.

The second suggestion is to check around the seal, ours has drain holes underneath that often get blocked by lint or change we've left in our pockets. That produces a leak more in line with what you have.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

It empties into a sink that is next to it. I'll check your second suggestion. Do you mean the rubber part that goes around the circle?

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

3 edits

2 recommendations

Grumpy4 to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
I can only guess that the door gasket is in a pedestrian or laundry traffic area and may have come loose somewhere.

I do believe HD will be helpful about receipt / warranty resolve.
I don't think they will play the "no receipt / no fixxy" game with you.

With make, model and serial number in hand, it may prove useful to call their warranty department if the leak is not readily diagnosable.

Years ago Sears recreated a receipt for me that was produced with a signature capture electronic device. I know it's not the same thing, but...

Forgive me in advance for even more unsolicited advice, but here goes anyway -
I staple receipts to the inside cover of the owner's manual, then throw them into a cardboard box labeled "house papers." My filing method is as simple as newer manuals/receipts go on one end of the collection, so they are not alphabetized, but somewhat chronological. Kinda. Sometimes. S'long as they're in there, I'm good. if you wanna go all Library of Congress on it, a plastic box with a cover. Phew! Almost water and dust proof.

Just sayin'

Even more! Simplified home warranty tracking: Label things like long life light bulbs and the like with a date of purchase via an industrial grade Sharpie (Staples has 'em) and throw the receipt into a chronological order box. It's as easy as the new receipts go to the back of the box. In the event of a claim, there's your receipt in chronological order.
Critsmcgee
join:2011-12-02

Critsmcgee

said by Grumpy4:

Forgive me in advance for even more unsolicited advice, but here goes anyway - I staple receipts to the inside cover of the owner's manual, then throw them into a cardboard box labeled "house papers." My filing method is as simple as newer manuals/receipts go on one end of the collection, so they are not alphabetized, but somewhat chronological. Kinda. Sometimes. S'long as they're in there, I'm good. if you wanna go all Library of Congress on it, a plastic box with a cover. Phew! Almost water and dust proof.

Or just scan it into a PDF and upload it to Google Drive. No chance of losing it or having any damage too it.

t_murphy
@mycingular.net

t_murphy to fartness

Anon

to fartness
If you used a credit/debit card and the card used to purchase the item is still valid, HD can pull up the transaction. Should it be necessary, proof of purchase shouldn't be a problem.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness

Re: [Appliances] Leaking washing machine

I purchased a range from Home Depot 3 or 4 years ago. It's been a total pain in the ass.

Anyhow, during it's first year of manufacturing warranty, I ended up dealing with the manufacture and not Home Depot.
I also ended up buying an extended warranty, due to lack of faith in the product. Turns out, our outlet was "bad", thus causing issues with the product.

Anyhow, the manufacturer didn't charge labor or parts to service the appliance under warranty. Though once the warranty expired, it would be an automatic bill of a service call for 90 bucks. Which is why we went with the extended, because there was no roll out fee.

So you should be ok on parts and labor, if it's a defect with the appliance. If it's something else, then of course you'll have to pay.

edit: When I called the manufacturer, they did a search based on make, model, and serial number.

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
If you haven't done so already you might want to check the door seal for debris or build up..

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to fartness

MVM

to fartness
Besides the door seal there is a pump at the bottom. All of ours had an access door so I'd read over the instruction and check. I'd also check the door sealing gasket, there should be drain holes - make sure they are not obstructed. Ours get plugged up with animal hair.

/tom
Quattrohead
Premium Member
join:2005-02-09

1 recommendation

Quattrohead to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
I cannot see it, but is there a filter for the pump down there ?
A previous LG front loader I had had the filter there and it screwed in a couple of turns.
It always leaked half a cup of water when I went to clean out the filter....maybe yours is loose.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

1 recommendation

John97 to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
Definitely check the door seal. I hope you are using HE-rated detergent...

+1 on the filter also.

Bornloser
join:2002-09-04
Alliance, OH

Bornloser to fartness

to fartness
More than likely coming from the dispenser. Had to replace one on a Maytag front loader a couple of years ago. Maytags tech support people told me that they were having a slight problem with them. If you notice, the leak is right in line with the dispenser. Call the manufacturer. Should be under parts and labor warranty for 1 year. Did you register the unit with Maytag. A lot of times, the dealer does it automatically.
Parneli
join:2004-12-28
Naperville, IL

1 recommendation

Parneli to fartness

to fartness
Do you usually do the laundry? Are you sure you're using the correct detergent and not too much of it?

Before you start calling for repairs, dry it off and try a load or two with no detergent.

Pher9999
join:2011-07-06
Saucier, MS

Pher9999 to fartness

to fartness
Is the leak running down the front or coming from underneath? I've had a few front leaks from the door seal on mine not sitting right, hair or some other small debris getting caught in the door seal between washes. I have an LG, there is a drain tube with panel about where you have your leak, may want to check if there is one too.
scott_urman
join:2002-07-18
San Mateo, CA

scott_urman to fartness

to fartness

Re: [Appliances] Re: Leaking washing machine

Yep I mean the rubber gasket around the door. On ours you can lift it up to see underneath (sorry i don't have a picture) and that's where all the stuff is.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

Re: [Appliances] Leaking washing machine

Can someone post a picture of what I should be checking? I'm not familiar with the terminology.

I checked all around and there are no leaks on the unit itself or any wetness. It's just on the floor below it.

I live alone and am the only one who touches it.

I use HE detergent since I'm supposed to only use that.

flatline_
join:2003-01-18

flatline_ to fartness

to fartness
Had a minor leak in the exact same spot with my Kenmore front loader, which was not even 1 month old. I found that the floor in my laundry room was not leveled and the machine was tilted slightly forward. I put a level on the top of the machine and adjusted its feet with an open end wrench until it was leveled. The leak was solved immediately after that.

It appeared that the water was leaking down from the detergent fill canisters at some point during the cycle and making its way to the floor. I too suspected the seals and also the pump cover / door, however both checked out fine. It dawned on me to check the level and luckily that was it.

Good luck
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

The detergent slide out on mine is on the left and that's where I've been seeing the water on the left under the unit. However the detergent slide out is at the top, so not sure. I've never had any leaking before. My machine seems heavy enough that it shouldn't unlevel itself.

flatline_

flatline_ to fartness

to fartness
Mine is at the top left as well. I didn't notice any obvious leak, however upon completion of the cycle the floor would be wet, in the same spot as yours and also the same amount of water. I should note that this problem presented itself after about three weeks of use - the machine did not leak up to that point. Would be worth a quick check if you have a level handy. Hope you can track down the issue soon.

FrancisW
@pppoe.ca

FrancisW to fartness

Anon

to fartness
said by fartness:

The detergent slide out on mine is on the left and that's where I've been seeing the water on the left under the unit. However the detergent slide out is at the top, so not sure. I've never had any leaking before. My machine seems heavy enough that it shouldn't unlevel itself.

the leak is likely from the dispenser. Almost always due to not being level or residue buildup. Check for level in both directions. Easy simple thing to do, sure it shouldn't have moved, but check anyway.

Remove the dispenser and clean it (it comes out and can be disassembled into two pieces for cleaning), and clean any detergent and/or fabric softener residue where the dispenser goes in the machine.

flatline_

flatline_ to fartness

to fartness
Any updates on this, fartness?
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

Waiting for the need to do more laundry. Should be the next day or two.
fartness

fartness (banned)

Click for full size
I moved it and had no water leaks. It's an old basement floor, so it is hard to get it perfect. Only thing is I noticed suds around this rubber part. Was it just too much detergent that I used?

flatline_

flatline_

I sometimes get suds there on my Kenmore. Since the problem did not occur in the new location, I'm inclined to believe that the leak was infact due to a leveling issue. Glad to see that it appears to be resolved.

Thanks for following up.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

Thanks for the advice!