All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
djeet
join:2015-03-23

djeet

How many strikes for copyright material how long are strikes onfile

I've had COX for just over 3 years now. Long story short I should have 5 strikes against me over the course of the 3 years and 3 months I've been with COX.

Two were my fault, but the others weren't. I recently got home and had this page that said to call COX and give them a reference number. So I did. And the representative said if they got one more complaint they'd terminate my service for six months.

I guess five strikes is a lot.. But it's over the course of 3 years 3 months..

I did some investigating and I had a virus.. So I formatted my computer and changed my wireless password.. (I had a similar virus in the past)

But I mean I have no more chances left. One more complaint and no more internet.

So how long are these strikes on file? The representative said COX didn't monitor for this stuff people who have the copyright do. Then they report their findings to COX and COX has to notify us.

But I mean do they even check the validity of these claims? Do they have a hash or something to check and make sure a file with a similar name isn't being downloaded?

Will these strikes always be on file? I mean apparently my activity over 3 years has added up. So I guess they stay on record a long time?

Is there anything I can do to have these removed? I don't want to download.. I just want to have that buffer in case I get another virus.

What sucks is 2 of the complaints happened because there was a storm where I live and I was away for work and I had this crappy old used router.. And the power went out and when it came back on my router reset to factory.. Which means no security while I was away. Over the course of the next 3 weeks I received 2 complaints of files that had been downloaded in my time away..

So can I get these strikes removed? Will they go away after a year or so of no complaints? I'm just scared I'll get another virus and then I'll get the six month suspension will make matters way worse and harder for me to recover.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

You probably got the virus while downloading your previous strikes. That alone would make me stop.

dilger
@easytel.com

dilger

Anon

Right, it sounds like they have stopped. It sounds like they haven't even done it that much to being with. A couple of times..

I've often wondered this. A lot of myth out there. Do strikes against you permanently stay on your record? ow many do you get?
bchandler02
join:2011-07-08
Oklahoma City, OK

bchandler02 to djeet

to djeet
I'd spend $30 a year for PIA or TorGuard, and set it up in (your hopefully newer) router. That way, all traffic is protected going out of the router 24/7. Never have to worry about it again.
djeet

djeet

I'm going to get my network together and encrypt my traffic. I just want to know if I'll always have these strikes against me. Maybe I can call them next March and just say I heard if I made it a year report free I get 2 strikes taken off! haha..

But seriously. Will my strikes go away?
smk11
join:2014-11-12

smk11 to bchandler02

to bchandler02
said by bchandler02:

I'd spend $30 a year for PIA or TorGuard, and set it up in (your hopefully newer) router. That way, all traffic is protected going out of the router 24/7. Never have to worry about it again.

Or you could just stop stealing things...
djeet

djeet

Well I already don't. That's the thing. Like I said. I did twice. Got caught, didn't do it again. Then the next two times were people on my unsecure network because my router reset to factory while I was away..

We're getting everything bogged down with too many details. I just want to know if these strikes will eventually go away. Because as I've noticed, not stealing isn't even a full proof solution. So I guess I'll have to encrypt my traffic.. (I mean I've gotten notices in the past and haven' taken any action on my part to ensure I don't get caught. Why would an ongoing thief just leave his stuff unsecure after getting caught once you know? That alone should be evidence that I'm not actively pirating or I'd have taken precautions to protect myself..) But I still want a buffer in case something happens. People don't believe that some times these claims can be fraudulent.. And ISPs just send out a notice and put a mark on your record because someone told them you did something bad..

Can anyone just tell me if and when these strikes will go away? Does cox really keep them forever?

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

You might want to explain the situation to your parents so when their internet access is cut off they know why.

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

When did this change? Cox didnt buy into the 6strikes policy

"TorrentFreak contacted several of the larger Internet providers above to find out why, but they were reluctant to comment on their motivations. A Cox spokesperson was most vocal and said that they "have decided not to participate for internal reasons."

»torrentfreak.com/isp-six ··· -120803/

And this one says 10 strikes. Seems like some conflicting info coming from Cox. Could a Cox employee comment? Or is contacting Corp. a more direct route?

»torrentfreak.com/cox-tar ··· -130408/
djeet

djeet

Thanks for the links and thanks for backing me up. I want to know this. The woman on the phone was clear. She said, "One more complaint and we'll terminate your service for six months." She was nice... But she said that. And I do not have ten strikes.

Will these strikes go away? Anyone working for COX know? I can call the security number and speak to someone again... But I don't want to have to give them my information again.. Thinking I plan to do it again.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to ptrowski

to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

You might want to explain the situation to your parents so when their internet access is cut off they know why.

Gee he said got home from work and router hacked.

CoxTech1
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1 to djeet

to djeet
To my knowledge there isn't any kind of hard limit in place. Records of incidents are kept permanently however we look at the totality of the situation when deciding how to handle abuse complaints. Every effort is made to try and resolve complaints without having to take escalated measures.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to nonymous

Premium Member

to nonymous
You must have missed where he/she said that a few of those "mistakes" were his/hers. Also in all the years I have been using routers I have never had one reset itself back to the stock factory image. I have had one powered down for years and it still retained it's settings. My guess is the OP went downloading things they should not have and got a virus. I think the whole open router argument is just a way for them to lay blame somewhere else.
djeet

djeet to CoxTech1

to CoxTech1
Really? So what if I don't get a complaint for 1 - 5 years. But then suddenly I get one. I lose my internet?

Hard Harry7
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7 to ptrowski

to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

Also in all the years I have been using routers I have never had one reset itself back to the stock factory image.

You must have missed the part when he said his brother factory reset it when he was away. Probably because he didn't know the PSK, or maybe because Cox told him too. I have a couple representives suggest it to me as a way of putting blame on the router when the actual issue was T3's.

Also, you're missing the big picture. This is the first time I have heard of Cox threatening to deactivate service for IP violation. Usually they only send warnings. Maybe something changed at Cox?

Last, his question was how long the strikes stay on his record, something no one yet has even mentioned. Lets leave the wrist slapping to the professionals.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

1 recommendation

ptrowski

Premium Member

That was never mentioned by the OP.
said by djeet:

What sucks is 2 of the complaints happened because there was a storm where I live and I was away for work and I had this crappy old used router.. And the power went out and when it came back on my router reset to factory.. Which means no security while I was away. Over the course of the next 3 weeks I received 2 complaints of files that had been downloaded in my time away..

Let's all be honest here, the "unsecured network" excuse is one of the oldest in the book to try to clear an issue especially after already being tagged.

anynnyn
@ittesi.com

anynnyn

Anon

It may be an old excuse, but it happens. I read through and some COX technician said they stay on his record forever. That kind of sucks. So in five year he gets one ore violation and whammo!? Geez.

And OP did make a fairly valid point. He got two complaints in the first year and stopped downloading. Someone said something or other.. And OP said well if I was continuing to download why wouldn't I have covered my butt and encrypted my traffic or something, why just continue to download unprotected?

I have seen false claims before. The thing about COX is, they say they don't do any of the scanning. They simply get a report from someone scanning and then pass it along. So that means COX isn't checking to make sure these complaints are valid. Which means cutting off internet even though someone else might have made a mistake is shitty.

I mean if someone is honey potting people are running a checksum to see if the file's hash matches what they have when going through the packets to get the info?

That really bothers me, COX doesn't scan, but instead take people's word that something illegal was done..

Ender3rd
join:2001-07-15
Connecticut
·Frontier FiberOp..

Ender3rd to ptrowski

to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

Also in all the years I have been using routers I have never had one reset itself back to the stock factory image.

I had this happen to me with a D-Link DGL-4300 seven or eight years ago after a "power glitch" due to a storm outage. When the power came back up it flickered for several seconds and when everything settled down and my DGL-4300 came back online the WiFi was running wide open. The only way I noticed was because all my port forwarding settings were gone and certain applications no longer worked correctly. So... it can happen.

Ender
djeet

djeet

Yeah. People think I'm full of it, but it did... It was a crappy Netgear provided by COX. (The woman working gave it to me for free because she was upset by lazy co-workers.) It was a horrible router..

But I'm starting to not stress so much. The COX tech that replied said they won't just disconnect me. But I've heard mixed information... I'm getting my network together anyway.. I'll just encrypt all of my packets coming in and going out... Just in case something happens..

Hard Harry7
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7 to ptrowski

to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

That was never mentioned by the OP.

You are right. I could have sworn that was mentioned in OP. Must be going crazy. LOL

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Join the club.
Rakeesh
join:2011-10-30
Phoenix, AZ

Rakeesh to djeet

to djeet
Here's how to fix those:

1) Join a private tracker
2) Download much faster
3) Cancel cable TV subscription because:
--- 500 channels and nothing on
--- Paying money to waste 1/3rd of your time watching commercials sucks

Hard Harry7
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

People are still using torrents? Newsgroups man...totally the way to go. You can download all the linux distro in the world that way XD
Rakeesh
join:2011-10-30
Phoenix, AZ

Rakeesh

said by Hard Harry7:

People are still using torrents? Newsgroups man...totally the way to go. You can download all the linux distro in the world that way XD

Nah usenet is so 1979.

Hard Harry7
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

I bet my throughput puts your torrents to shame.:D Giganews, SABnzbd, NZB.SU and CouchPotato to bring it all together. I was getting 10MBps easy on Premier.