All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
shunx
join:2003-05-01
Canada

shunx

for non-TSI DSL users, is it easier to switch to TSI cable or DSL?

Easier as in generally fewer problems with installation and getting the internet up to speed.

On the one hand, with TSI DSL the connection is the same type, but you have to disconnect the old service first and time the new service right, so if there is any delay or problems, you're left without the internet. By switching to cable you don't have to disconnect the old internet service first so there's backup, but I have not had cable internet for a long time and do not know how well it works at my location. I read that if you have technical problems with set up, it may take many days for TSI to get it fixed initially because they rely on other networks and technicians.

I'd appreciate feedbacks from users who made the switch, whether you encountered any problems. Thanks.

apvm
join:2003-02-14
London, ON
Linksys WRT1900AC
SmartRG SR505N
Huawei HG612

apvm

May not be relevant since I only upgraded from Teksavvy's legacy 6/0.8 DSL to Teksavvy's ADSL2+ 15/1 this past Saturday. Smooth upgrade I must say, no down time, the speed just went up at noon. By the way, no bell tech visit as well.

I also did switch from Execulink's DSL service to Teksavvy DSL during Christmas 2009, smooth switch as well. Just follow Teksavvy's instruction, I think it was to set the Execulink cancellation a few days after Teksavvy's activation.

squircle
join:2009-06-23
OTWAON10

squircle to shunx

to shunx
I switched from Bell DSL to Teksavvy DSL a few years ago, and the process was totally painless. The Teksavvy install date was set for a few days before the Bell cancellation date. The Bell technician never even came to the house, and the Telecon technician showed up, looked at the demarc and left.

When the Bell cancellation date came around, I got a call from the Bell tech saying he had a disconnect order but also saw that there was GAS service on the line. I confirmed with him that I'd switched to another provider, and he was happy he didn't have to do any work.

All-in-all, totally seamless. I don't want to turn this into a holy war, but I'm definitely glad I stuck with DSL over cable, and would make the same decision every time. If it works...

(n.b. If you don't have home phone and you're switching from dry loop to dry loop, your service should be provisioned on a second dry loop, so there shouldn't be any negative effects when the first service is disconnected.)
i_pk_pjers_i
join:2007-04-20
none

i_pk_pjers_i to shunx

to shunx
I switched from Robbers Cable to Teksavvy DSL and it was completely painless. I got a fantastic tech, he made sure I got full speeds (even though, he honestly didn't have to, he was still nice enough to do so anyways), and then left. Haven't had any issues since then. I LOVE VDSL2, so much better than garbage DOCSIS 3.0. I cancelled the Cable after a few days of testing the VDSL and I have been happy since then. This was over 8 months ago.
JMJimmy
join:2008-07-23

JMJimmy to shunx

to shunx
It really depends on the tech you get. I've had absolutely horrid techs that don't want to be there and do a crappy job others have been amazing and even let me tag along and see all the inner workings/make sure I got a good riser. Robbers techs seem to be far worse than Bhells - likely to do with the inch thick contract Bhell techs have to sign to get a job.
Sanek
join:2006-08-10
Kanata, ON

Sanek to shunx

to shunx
If you're worried about getting left without any service at all, just pay the extra month on DSL and get Cable. Whenever cable is up and running at your address, just start using it and let DSL run out. Probably the safest way to go.
Lyrrad
join:2012-01-20

Lyrrad

In fact, you don't even need to give 30-days notice anymore. As of Jan. 23, the CRTC mandated that you be able to cancel Internet (as well as landline phone and television) service without any notice.

»www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archi ··· -576.htm
shunx
Canada

shunx

said by Lyrrad:

In fact, you don't even need to give 30-days notice anymore. As of Jan. 23, the CRTC mandated that you be able to cancel Internet (as well as landline phone and television) service without any notice.

»www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archi ··· -576.htm

Could someone please how cancellation works with the new rules -- if you call your ISP now to cancel, how many more days are they allowed to charge you for the service being cancelled?
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805 to Lyrrad

to Lyrrad
Except internet service is prepaid a month a head of time, so by cancelling without notice you're left fighting for your refund after the fact. I have also heard stories of both bell and rogers not honouring the requirement to allow immediate customer cancellations.

Your other option which I've seen numerous times is that TSI can order your DSL on a 2nd loop a few days before your Bell cancellation, effectively leaving you with 2 internet connections for a couple of days. The downside to this of course is paying the dryloop fee...
shunx
Canada

shunx

said by btech805:

Except internet service is prepaid a month a head of time, so by cancelling without notice you're left fighting for your refund after the fact. I have also heard stories of both bell and rogers not honouring the requirement to allow immediate customer cancellations.

Are consumers entitled to a refund of the unused portion of the prepaid month under the new rules, then? If the rule has no penalties to telecommunication companies for failing to refund in full, then I see little reason for them to be honest.
quote:
Your other option which I've seen numerous times is that TSI can order your DSL on a 2nd loop a few days before your Bell cancellation, effectively leaving you with 2 internet connections for a couple of days. The downside to this of course is paying the dryloop fee...

Would we have to pay the dry loop for the first month under this method, assuming we keep a landline?

Trev
AcroVoice & DryVoIP Official Rep
Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC

Trev

Premium Member

said by shunx:

Would we have to pay the dry loop for the first month under this method, assuming we keep a landline?

For every month, unless/until you pay for a new install on your landline circuit.