uniqs

jlevans
Premium Member
join:2002-11-20
Mansfield, PA

jlevans

Premium Member

provider connection rates

Hey guys, if you wouldn't mind sharing your current quoted rates for your upstream connection(s) I'd appreciate it. I'm currently negotiating for my connection and they want me to take a full GigE port and a 3 year commit. There are some large numbers being thrown around.

e-mail me if you don't want to post them jevans at pennwisp dot com
I can't post what I'm being told for numbers publicly, but I will share with anyone who asks.

Thanks.
SBBVince
Premium Member
join:2009-07-22
Simpsonville, KY

SBBVince

Premium Member

There are many ways this can be done. I don't know what our company pays for our upstream connections.

Are you getting it from one provider, or are you having circuits installed by one company and getting b/w from another company?
prairiesky
join:2008-12-08
canada

prairiesky to jlevans

to jlevans
It really depends what they're offering you. Is that transported to your pop or in a DC?

In a DC, ~$400/gb is not uncommon on a 3 year.

If it's transported, it could be $2k plus.

Then it all depends on the value to you. Can you transport it out to the sticks or is that going to be more of a headache......

jlevans
Premium Member
Mansfield, PA

jlevans to SBBVince

Premium Member

to SBBVince
said by SBBVince:

Are you getting it from one provider, or are you having circuits installed by one company and getting b/w from another company?

It is one provider
said by prairiesky:

Is that transported to your pop or in a DC?

It's transported to me, I buy the fiber, about +/- 150 feet
SBBVince
Premium Member
Simpsonville, KY

SBBVince

Premium Member

said by jlevans:

It is one provider

So the potential provider is doing everything: transit, bandwidth etc.

jlevans
Premium Member
Mansfield, PA

jlevans

Premium Member

said by SBBVince See Profile
So the potential provider is doing everything: transit, bandwidth etc.[/bquote :

yes

nosomo
join:2008-12-17

2 edits

nosomo to jlevans

to jlevans
Find who got the contract to interconnect the schools in your area (internet 2). The Gov has subsidized just about the entire build out around here so I have a fiber provider 5km from here right next to a tower that quoted 500/500 for right at the start of 4 figures/mo. Basically dirt cheap. They're fed by a combination of 5 tier 1s at the DC/IXP using whichever provider responds first. Not sure of the routing protocol but I was told it's had a 100% since they've been in that location.
SBBVince
Premium Member
Simpsonville, KY

SBBVince to jlevans

Premium Member

to jlevans
Good call!! That's why I am not an owner. I wouldn't have thought of that.

jlevans
Premium Member
Mansfield, PA

jlevans to nosomo

Premium Member

to nosomo
said by nosomo:

Find who

not in the scope of my question, thanks though for your response
nosomo
join:2008-12-17

nosomo

said by jlevans:

not in the scope of my question, thanks though for your response

Since you're not open to additional suggestions, search would have provided you exactly what you're asking about. A lot of companies have NDAs on current service specs, so at best you're going to receive old/high quotes that are not applicable. By following the advice I gave, you could save 90% or more. I could tell you what I've been quoted, but it's laughably higher than what I'm contracted for and has no correlation to it, what-so-ever.

I had a quote for $7500 for 1GB -- has nothing to do with what I ended up with.

jlevans
Premium Member
Mansfield, PA

jlevans

Premium Member

nosomo, dosen't matter who got the contract, I know who IS providing to the schools and I know what the schools are paying. I think I'm getting a pretty good deal I was simply curious as to what other wisps were paying / quoted recently, I realize that location has a lot to do with it. I do know how to find out the public information as you suggested, your response is simply not what I asked for.

I do have a provider, quoted, signed, sealed.
wirelessdog
join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog

I was quoted $750 for Cogent Gige at one of their main hubs within the past 30 days and $3500 from Windstream at a location closer. Bandwidth is cheap, transport can be expensive.

jlevans
Premium Member
Mansfield, PA

jlevans

Premium Member

I think it would be nice to have the luxury on having multiple providers, not happening in the sticks of Northern PA though.