Search similar:

uniqs

kerstuf
join:2014-02-12
Tellico Plains, TN

kerstuf to KA0OUV

to KA0OUV

Re: News from Vestalink

I guess I'm not getting this. I have VL and GV already on an Obi. What is the benefit of this?

bitseeker
join:2014-03-05

bitseeker

said by kerstuf:

I have VL and GV already on an Obi. What is the benefit of this

It's for those who have devices that are not able to use GV directly. If you already integrate GV via your Obi, you don't have to use the VL bridge.

Ryan Tilton
join:2010-09-04
Seattle, WA

Ryan Tilton to williamray507

to williamray507
said by williamray507:

One question here, what is going to be the cost of service if we only want to use it for the google voice integration?

You need to have a Vestalink subscription with 911 access to use the service. The lowest priced plan is $29.99 a year currently.

williamray507
No More Mr Nice Guy
Premium Member
join:2001-10-04
Huntington, WV

williamray507

Premium Member

said by Ryan Tilton:

You need to have a Vestalink subscription with 911 access to use the service. The lowest priced plan is $29.99 a year currently.

So your $29.99 plan is limited to 500 Min/Month, but unlimited with GoogleVoice. Are you still imposing the usage limits and change the plan because someone uses more than 500 Min/Month?

For me I would be willing to pay the $30/Year just to use my GoogleVoice number from any SIP Device. But if you are still imposing the usage limits then its not really worth it.
compuguy
join:2003-05-26
Burke, VA

compuguy to KA0OUV

to KA0OUV
Temped...though I ported out my number from my current vestalink account to Vitelity. This makes me temped to add a new did....

Ryan Tilton
Seattle, WA

Ryan Tilton to williamray507

to williamray507
said by williamray507:

So your $29.99 plan is limited to 500 Min/Month, but unlimited with GoogleVoice. Are you still imposing the usage limits and change the plan because someone uses more than 500 Min/Month?

Nope, the usage limits are removed when you combine your Google Voice account with Vestalink.

Here are the details
»intelafone.desk.com/cust ··· estalink

AllThumbs
join:2006-02-07
Charleston, SC

1 edit

AllThumbs

Still a little unclear on how the integration works. Are you saying that outbound Vestalink calls attempt to connect using the subscriber's Google Voice account first?? That would essentially mean you're charging $29.99 a month for subscribers to make calls using their own (free) Google Voice account. Am I missing something?

[edit: Sorry months and years all seem to run together. Should be $29.99/yr. Thanks, Stewart.]
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

3 recommendations

Stewart

said by AllThumbs:

Still a little unclear on how the integration works. Are you saying that outbound Vestalink calls attempt to connect using the subscriber's Google Voice account first?? That would essentially mean you're charging $29.99 a month for subscribers to make calls using their own (free) Google Voice account. Am I missing something?

It's $29.99 per year, i.e. about $2.50/mo. For that, you get 911, a professionally maintained gateway that allows you to use GV from any device / app / PBX, MWI on the SIP device, a second incoming number that's easily ported from most services, and up to 500 min./mo. of calling when GV doesn't work (technical issue, destination blocked, you want to send a different caller ID, etc.) I'm not sure why you'd want such a mashup, but it's IMO a good value for someone who does.

williamray507
No More Mr Nice Guy
Premium Member
join:2001-10-04
Huntington, WV

williamray507

Premium Member

said by Stewart:

I'm not sure why you'd want such a mashup, but it's IMO a good value for someone who does.

I had service with Vestalink when they were still OBiVoice, 2 accounts actually and paid for the 1 year of service at the time and closed it when it was over. Now that they are working with GoogleVoice the $29.99/Year is a good deal since I would rather use my SPA942 Desk Phones instead of an ATA. I could really care less that they provide a DID but that would be for 911 calls, so I see the need for it. Now as far as my opinion on their Owner, I don't like how he goes about things necessarily but as far as service with them was great for the most part.
twinclouds
join:2010-06-12
San Diego, CA

twinclouds to AllThumbs

to AllThumbs
I think this is for people don't have, don't want and may not be able to maintain a GV gateway, which, BTW, also costs money for equipment and electricity. Of course, the additional services that Stewart mentioned are certainly valuable to many people.

bitseeker

bitseeker to Stewart

to Stewart
said by Stewart:

and up to 500 min./mo. of calling when GV doesn't work (technical issue, destination blocked, you want to send a different caller ID, etc.)

I'm not sure about failover to VL for outbound calling. At least it isn't documented as such from what I saw.

Ryan, can you elaborate?

Ryan Tilton
Seattle, WA

Ryan Tilton

Not currently, right now Google Voice calling is either on or off.

bitseeker

bitseeker

Thanks, Ryan. After initial setup, is it easy to flip GV integration on/off, or does it have to be set up each time it's enabled?

Ryan Tilton
Seattle, WA

Ryan Tilton

Yeah, its really easy. Its two button clicks to turn it on, and one to turn it off in your customer portal. Of course we will eventually have it as dialing option.

LumEtters
@charter.com

LumEtters to Ryan Tilton

Anon

to Ryan Tilton
Ryan, Vestalink's hardware is in the mail. A few days and we'll see the real thing.

And, Ryan, what will happen to the year of Vestalink we signed up for before we heard about your new product and the year of $29.99 (500 min/mo) service that is included? Hoping your plan is to tack it on when our current year of Vestalink ends, of course.

As for GV's quality, our year of experience before the protocol change was about as good as Charter Cable's excellent phone service in that we couldn't hear a difference.

But, after the protocol change we switched to Vestalink for compatibility with the Obi100. The downside was at the time there were no local phone numbers and the quite distant prefix number was buggy in that hardware/software somewhere had it listed as disconnected. Eventually, after a few weeks and a number change it was sorted out.

The GV option for outgoing calls will be welcome here. Local number advantages again. And possibly improved call quality. To be announced.

bitseeker

bitseeker to Ryan Tilton

to Ryan Tilton
said by Ryan Tilton:

Of course we will eventually have it as dialing option.

That'll be great.