spc
Search similar:

uniqs
baess
join:2011-01-28

baess

Post without replying to someone

Been on this site for years but can't figure this out:

How do I post on a topic without it being in reply to someone else? Meaning my reply would not include "reply to X" at the top of my comment.

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
446.4 4.0

sashwa

Mod

You really can't. You have to reply to someone's post or to the "Reply OP".

If you reply to the person/post directly above you the "reply to X" won't show within the thread but it does mean you are replying to the poster above you. And if you click on the permalink of your post, it will show "reply to X". Most usually just use the "Reply OP" that is found at the end of of thread when not wanting to reply to a specific post.

I hope this makes sense to you.
baess
join:2011-01-28

baess

I think I get it. I replied to you so hopefully...

edit: It does not say "Reply to ...". Yea. Thanks!

sashwa
Mod
Alcatraz

sashwa

Mod

You are welcome. But remember that means you were replying to the poster above you and that will be how others take it.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH

Pacrat to baess

MVM

to baess
Something I just noticed... if you use the "blue arrow" on a "favorites" list to take you directly to the first "unread" new posting, the reply to... tag does still appear.

sashwa
Mod
Alcatraz

sashwa

Mod

I think it does that because the blue arrow is somewhat like a permalink for the thread rather than a post permalink.

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert to Pacrat

Mod

to Pacrat
said by Pacrat:

Something I just noticed... if you use the "blue arrow" on a "favorites" list to take you directly to the first "unread" new posting, the reply to... tag does still appear.

I'm seeing the "reply to" on your post. But I expected that.

Here's my way of looking at it. The "reply to" appears except when the message is a reply to the message that immediately precedes it.

Because I used the blue arrow, there is no message that immediately precedes yours. Your message is the first on the screen. So the "reply to" should appear (as it did).

Or, to say it differently, this is not about a global stream of messages that exists in the world. This is about a limited stream of messages that exists on my browser screen.

I'll note that I quite like it the way that it is.

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
MVM
join:2002-06-15

davidg to sashwa

MVM

to sashwa
if the post is not directly above yours it will still show reply to xxxx. so if someone replies before you get a chance it will still show it.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
MVM
Cortland, OH

Pacrat to nwrickert

MVM

to nwrickert
I wasn't complaining... it never did affect me, one way or the other. I was just making an observation that sometimes the reply to ... tag does appear even when it is in reply to the post directly above it. Kinda like... "for every rule there is an exception". And yes, it does make sense for the tag to appear when there is no visible post directly above it, as in using the "blue arrow" to access a thread.

onDvine
Grown up Flower Child
Premium Member
join:2005-01-29
So. CA, USA

onDvine

Premium Member

said by Pacrat:

... sometimes the reply to ... tag does appear even when it is in reply to the post directly above it. ...

I've seen that, too. If I refresh the page, it disappears. Except (I think) when my post is at the top of a new page.
jcarerra
join:2007-06-13
Satellite Beach, FL

jcarerra to baess

to baess
I often really wish there was a second "Reply OP" button at the TOP of the page.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
MVM
Cortland, OH

Pacrat

MVM

If I recall correctly, there used to be just that... and it was requested that it be removed, as it was redundant! It also "encouraged" folks to reply without reading the rest of the thread to see if the situation had already been adequately addressed/answered.
jcarerra
join:2007-06-13
Satellite Beach, FL

1 edit

1 recommendation

jcarerra

said by Pacrat:

If I recall correctly, there used to be just that... and it was requested that it be removed, as it was redundant! It also "encouraged" folks to reply without reading the rest of the thread to see if the situation had already been adequately addressed/answered.

Which leaves those of us who read in "watch" mode, and read the latest posts (at the top) having to scroll to the bottom if we want to reply-op. Another case of catering to the miscreant instead of the majority.