All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
JimmerSD
join:2013-11-08

JimmerSD

[CFL] Aggrevated in Sanford

I have a small business that I intend to move into an industrial warehouse and I need to hook up to the internet. No Phone. No TV. No Security... Internet. The warehouse is directly adjacent to a residential area, just across the fence less than 20 yards away.

I need something better than Dial up but nothing "Blazing" fast. I don't even need a broadband modem, I already own several. I contacted your business solutions department this evening and am totally perplexed why I should have to pay twice the rate of a basic residential line for the lowest tier of internet access simply because I have a business address. In addition I am really peeved that your representative became argumentative with me when I insisted that all I needed was internet. His rational was that since I was getting MORE (eg: Phone, Internet and Cable) that I was somehow getting a better deal. He pressed this point and insisted that I was being foolish for not signing up for you whole package. I eventually ended the conversation.

It isn't a deal if I am paying more to include something I don't need.

And it really isn't a deal if you force me to pay a grossly exaggerated price for the service I need if I don't opt for your 'Bundle'.

This tactic is unfair to me as a customer.
Expand your moderator at work
JimmerSD

JimmerSD

Re: [CFL] Aggrevated in Sanford

So where do I put this post if not here?

gigahurtz
Premium Member
join:2001-10-20
USA

gigahurtz to JimmerSD

Premium Member

to JimmerSD
You posted in the right place. BHNtechXpert is an employee of Brighthouse Networks. I'm sure he will pop in here at some point.

You also have the option of voicing your concern with the Office of the President at Brighthouse Networks: »apps.brighthouse.com/ent ··· ent.aspx

telijah
Premium Member
join:2013-04-22
Brandon, FL

telijah

Premium Member

I have a feeling this was moved to the BHN forum, might be why OP asked about it being in the wrong place?
lilricky
join:2007-07-21
Kissimmee, FL

lilricky to JimmerSD

to JimmerSD
Unfortunately it seems you got a bad call center rep. These reps are pushed to upgrade without concern for what the customer needs/wants. How do I know? I used to work, briefly, for one of their call centers. I questioned this tactic, and was told "We aren't customer service reps, we're salesmen!". They're not supposed to be argumentative though.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to JimmerSD

Premium Member

to JimmerSD
said by JimmerSD:

I have a small business that I intend to move into an industrial warehouse and I need to hook up to the internet. No Phone. No TV. No Security... Internet. The warehouse is directly adjacent to a residential area, just across the fence less than 20 yards away.

I need something better than Dial up but nothing "Blazing" fast. I don't even need a broadband modem, I already own several. I contacted your business solutions department this evening and am totally perplexed why I should have to pay twice the rate of a basic residential line for the lowest tier of internet access simply because I have a business address. In addition I am really peeved that your representative became argumentative with me when I insisted that all I needed was internet. His rational was that since I was getting MORE (eg: Phone, Internet and Cable) that I was somehow getting a better deal. He pressed this point and insisted that I was being foolish for not signing up for you whole package. I eventually ended the conversation.

It isn't a deal if I am paying more to include something I don't need.

And it really isn't a deal if you force me to pay a grossly exaggerated price for the service I need if I don't opt for your 'Bundle'.

This tactic is unfair to me as a customer.

Honestly I am not going to be able to comment on the experience without first reviewing the call if it's available (assuming an order was placed).

As for the other concerns....

1) Commercial service is generally more expensive whether you are talking phone, internet, power etc....this is not specific to BHN

2) If the "warehouse" is a commercial property - meaning a business resides and conducts business and/or the desire was to have the service in a business name there then commercial service applies.

3) If the "warehouse" is next to a residence that you own and call your home and you are not operating a a traditional business via the internet, have no need for PTR records or other business services at 20 yards away you can be creative in bringing service over from your home but this will be on you....

4) Customer owned modems are not permitted on business class service so you will not be able to use your own modem

5) Again without reviewing the call, order etc.... the reps rationale is solid if this is a business with phone service (from another provide etc) exists in this warehouse. Al a carte business phone and internet services (meaning unbundled) will almost always be more expensive, the rep was trying to save the OP money for both and on any given day this would be the case. I have not reviewed this call so will not comment on the rest of the phone portion of the experience.

While the OP does not like his/her options, pricing or policies they are not unique to Bright House Networks but in fact virtually any other provider of residential and business services will treat business services different than residential. In the end there are economic advantages to be treated as a business, one and it's a big one is these services tend to be operating expenses and your accountant likes these types of things come tax time.
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to JimmerSD

Premium Member

to JimmerSD

The OP's primary complaint is with the pricing, the prices are what they are for business service however and there isn't much that can be done there. If an order was placed or the call recorded any issues with the rep experience can be addressed but and it's a big but the call will need to be reviewed first. It is entirely possible the rep did a great job but the OP was not receptive to the offering, perceptions are strange things....then again it could be something entirely different. It is not appropriate to comment on that part of experience here because at this point only the OP and the rep know what happened during the call.
JimmerSD

JimmerSD to gigahurtz

to gigahurtz

Thank you.
JimmerSD

JimmerSD to lilricky

to lilricky

Yes I definitely got the impression that I was disappointing him by not completely buying into his argument.
JimmerSD

JimmerSD to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
The order was not placed. I quit the conversation because I felt the rep was not receptive to my needs and continued to press me to buy they whole package. $115 for Internet, Cable with 1 converter and Phone. I am only in the market for Internet which is $95.

Simple Broadband Internet.

Since you guys are the only game in town I most likely choke back the bile and will wind up doing business with you. But I will not sign up for any value added services.

There is no difference between the services I require and what is available 20 yards away to the people living in houses. Only that the price is twice as much.

Someone comes to me with a cheaper alternative and I will drop BHN like a hot rock.
JimmerSD

JimmerSD to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
The rep's starting pitch was more focused on what channels I was interested in. I was not calling for channels. I was calling for INTERNET. It went downhill from there. He was obviously attempting to upsell me to value added services of which I have no interest. Your company would say that he did his job correctly, because he followed the script. But from my perspective..whether it was 1 dollar or 20 dollars extra. It was only an extra charge for something I didn't need. I only wanted broadband internet service.

That is my perspective. I know no one else can see your responses.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to JimmerSD

Premium Member

to JimmerSD

said by JimmerSD:

Since you guys are the only game in town I most likely choke back the bile and will wind up doing business with you.

I highly doubt that but...you could be located in that rarest of locations where this is this the case.
said by JimmerSD:

But I will not sign up for any value added services

That is always your decision
said by JimmerSD:

There is no difference between the services I require and what is available 20 yards away to the people living in houses

Yes there is... yours is for a business, theirs a personal residence. I get that you don't agree with the concept however you will find this to be the case with any company you choose to go with and it has been this way forever whether you are subscribing to power, cable, internet, phone, sewer/trash or water. Each has residential and commercial services and there is a price difference. But surely you knew that already because your warehouse is already subscribing to the other commercial services right?
JimmerSD

JimmerSD

mcintosh point, sanford, fl. 32773
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to JimmerSD

Premium Member

to JimmerSD
said by JimmerSD:

The rep's starting pitch was more focused on what channels I was interested in. I was not calling for channels. I was calling for INTERNET. It went downhill from there. He was obviously attempting to upsell me to value added services of which I have no interest. Your company would say that he did his job correctly, because he followed the script. But from my perspective..whether it was 1 dollar or 20 dollars extra. It was only an extra charge for something I didn't need. I only wanted broadband internet service.

That is my perspective. I know no one else can see your responses.

Our sales reps are not scripted and especially Business Solutions representatives. Beyond that I cannot comment on what was said because I have not heard the interaction as a whole. All we have is your description and perception of the interaction which is certainly important however for me to add any value here I would need both sides of the conversation.
JimmerSD

JimmerSD to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

Yes there is... yours is for a business, theirs a personal residence. I get that you don't agree with the concept however you will find this to be the case with any company you choose to go with and it has been this way forever

Still doesn't make it right. Tends to slam the startups with unwarranted costs. The quality of the services aren't different.... It is semantic
JimmerSD

JimmerSD to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
Okay. I get it. Don't have to like it though. But it felt scripted. Too bad that you can't replay conversations from customers that get too aggravated and hang up on your reps.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by JimmerSD:

Okay. I get it. Don't have to like it though.

Nope you don't but you didn't call out any of the other services you pay a commercial rate for online now did you? Why is that? I'm truly trying to understand why the double standard this one time given all the other commercial services you pay for and know you pay a commercial rate.
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to JimmerSD

Premium Member

to JimmerSD
As for the call if you hit me up in direct with the # of the phone you called from and date and approx time of the call I will do my best to review the call for both our benefit.
JimmerSD

JimmerSD to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
Actually at this point the only other service I am paying for is Power. Since I haven't received a bill yet, I cannot say that the price is higher or lower from my residential. No double standard on my side. But there seems to be a decidedly double standard on your pricing side. Really, honestly double.
JimmerSD

JimmerSD to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
Ok lets try to see what's what.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to JimmerSD

Premium Member

to JimmerSD
said by JimmerSD:

Actually at this point the only other service I am paying for is Power. Since I haven't received a bill yet, I cannot say that the price is higher or lower from my residential. No double standard on my side. But there seems to be a decidedly double standard on your pricing side. Really, honestly double.

Okay so we're getting somewhere. Sounds like you are new to owning your own business. Got news for ya...every service you order attached to your business will have a premium attached to it because you are a business and as such the services are different. Customer expectations are different, benefits to you are different and the risks the provider takes with a business over residential are different (and actually higher). So as you get these bills (and you will have to get water/sewer btw) otherwise you cannot open for business in most areas...you did check into that right? Must have bathrooms and running water if nothing more than for your own people....it's the law.
JimmerSD

JimmerSD

Nope. Water comes with the property. Phone comes with my cell and I have been running this business from my home for over 20 years. Only difference is that the address will change. My expectations remain the same. Good reliable broadband internet with no BS. No higher charges because of the address.
JimmerSD

JimmerSD to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
I am actually older than 21
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to JimmerSD

Premium Member

to JimmerSD
How you are receiving phone calls? How are you going to be listed? Residential listing is free....commercial not so much and your telco will not allow you to list a business with a residential number (you have checked into that right) which means you will pay more for the very same number but with a business heading. I have owned many businesses so I know the charges you will find out soon enough. We are no different than any other business service provider (regardless of service) from this perspective. We are certainly different in other ways (I might be slightly biased) in a good way however.