uniqs
TurtleFan
join:2003-05-03
Wyckoff, NJ

TurtleFan to ampexperts

to ampexperts

Re: Windows 10 to Reqiure UEFI, no longer an option like with windows 8

said by ampexperts :

I'm staying with Windows 7 64 til I die. It's the one they finally got right. Windows 8 Looks like something from Fisher-Price toys.

same here. setting up windows 7 is a simple breeze. setting up windows 8 with passwords and microsoft account logins just added stupid annoying steps for a guy who likes to reformat every now and then.

Why can't they just make an option to have it LOOK like Windows 7? none of this tiles and app crap. I use programs. I have no need for apps. leave that stuff on mac devices.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

1 recommendation

sivran

Premium Member

Only one extra step "I don't want a Microsoft account."

salzan
Experienced Optimist
Premium Member
join:2004-01-08
WA State

salzan to BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

to BlitzenZeus
said by BlitzenZeus:

It's like somebody brought back the worst parts of the 80's, neon, boxy, and spandex all at once.

I have to take exception with part of this statement.

Properly applied, spandex is a gift to mankind.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

1 recommendation

maartena to TurtleFan

Premium Member

to TurtleFan
said by TurtleFan:

Why can't they just make an option to have it LOOK like Windows 7? none of this tiles and app crap. I use programs. I have no need for apps. leave that stuff on mac devices.

Classic Shell. Free, and makes it look almost identical to Windows 7. (and Metro is still available as a clickable start menu entry if you really want to start it).

I find 8.1 faster, taking less resources, and responding snappier then windows 7. On top of that it has some significant kernel improvements with regards to multi-core processing and security.

I don't care about the Microsoft Account, it's actually quite handy as I have 2 Windows 8.1 machines and I can keep em identical.
maartena

1 recommendation

maartena to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

One word: Linux

Really? Tell me how I can put Linux on my laptop and then.....

1) Log in before work in the morning on 1440x900 and check a few things.
2) Walk into the office and hook up to my TWO 1920x1080 monitors coinnected to my docking station. (And maybe opening up the laptop from time to time to add screen #3)
3) Picking up the laptop, walking into conference room #1 and dual-screening between my 1440x900 laptop and a 1920x1080 big screen TV.
4) Picking up the laptop to conference room #2 with an old-style 1280x1024 projector.
5) Walking back to my office and back to my dual monitor setup.
6) All the while I would be walking around with the laptop on native resolution, maybe even walking into someone's office to show something really quick.

Windows remembers every resolution. Every monitor. Every setup. Worst case I need to drag the monitor to one side or another in display properties so I don't get confused whether I need to drag my mouse to the left or right.

Linux? Not so much. Restart X for every resolution change. Losing the mouse in "no man's land" if your resolution doesn't match with what X was configured yet. AAAAARGH.

I ran with Linux for about 2 weeks here in the Office (Mint 17). I re-installed Windows really really fast. What a relief! No more manually restarting X just to get to the next conference room, and my Windows-running companions laughing why I haven't gotten my next network design presentation on the screen yet.

Windows 2000 pretty much did changing of monitor setups right already, it was able to detect monitors and the resolution they were running and adjust accordingly. 15+ years later, and Linux still has problems with it.

Michail
Premium Member
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

2 recommendations

Michail to why60loss

Premium Member

to why60loss
Sometimes it feels like dsl reports is becoming the premiere site for antique computing. :'(

Guess that's why I hang out more on windows central these days.

c0rr0sive88
@direcway.com

c0rr0sive88 to BlitzenZeus

Anon

to BlitzenZeus
said by BlitzenZeus:

You need uefi for drive over 2TB anyway so uefi needs to be a new standard enforced

You don't need UEFI for 2TB+ support, have a non-UEFI consumer board in my server with multiple 4TB disks hooked up, all recognized, unless your planning on trying to boot off a 4TB platter, which is rather stupid.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to nwrickert

Premium Member

to nwrickert
said by nwrickert:

I would like to know if this is a requirement for a new install, or does it also apply to upgrades?

I have no more info than you, but since this was at WinHEC, I suspect it'll turn out to be what you need to get 'Designed for Windows 10' stickers.

This is different to what the OS actually supports. Microsoft has long since moved the state of the PC art forward in that way: e.g., must have plug-and-play support in the BIOS, can't have a parallel port, etc.

Actually, the BIOS can be switched to UEFI, but that is turned off at present.

What you have is probably UEFI firmware, plain and simple.

UEFI implementations of the present day support compatibility booting. That is, you get to choose how the firmware boots software: in the new UEFI way, or the old BIOS way. (Your choice has to match what the booted OS expects).

That UEFI can do BIOS-compatible boots doesn't make it not UEFI.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to why60loss

to why60loss
said by why60loss:

.(Yes I know GPT is needed for format a drive over 2TB) .

Actually -- no. Only if you want to format them using Windows. I have four 3 TB drives with MS-DOS (MBR) partitions that I created using GParted. When using GPT, XP couldn't see them, so I just repartioned them without GPT.
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

The physical limit of MBR is because there are 32 bits to hold the LBA of the partition base.

If you're dealing with a disk that has a logical block (formerly known as 'sector') size of 512, the laws of arithmetic say that a partition can't be based over the 2TB mark, nor can the partition be more than 2TB long.

I suppose you could divide your 3TB disk into two 1.5TB partitions without the universe exploding.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

Many 3-4TB external usb drives did just that, they came with at least two partitions to avoid the 2TB limitation.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to maartena

to maartena
said by maartena:

I find 8.1 faster, taking less resources, and responding snappier then windows 7. On top of that it has some significant kernel improvements with regards to multi-core processing and security.

No question about that, but:
a) the internal difference may not be apparent to many
b) I think 7's UI is better, even if 8.1 is enhanced with Classic Shell
c) if someone has a functional Win 7 machine, there may not be a whole reason to upgrade
d) older machines may not run 8.1 x64 while they run just fine 7 x64 (I have one such machine that I tried to upgrade )

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert to dave

Mod

to dave
said by dave:

What you have is probably UEFI firmware, plain and simple.

Yes, but that's for one desktop machine. We have two Windows 7 laptops which do not have any UEFI support in the BIOS.
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

As do I. I merely wanted to correct the notion that you had the choice of "switching the BIOS to UEFI". If the firmware is UEFI, it's UEFI, regardless of whether it implements backwards-compatible boot support.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to dave

Premium Member

to dave
said by dave:

I suppose you could divide your 3TB disk into two 1.5TB partitions without the universe exploding.

Precisely what I did with my 3TB drive.

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert to dave

Mod

to dave
said by dave:

I merely wanted to correct the notion that you had the choice of "switching the BIOS to UEFI".

So you are a practitioner of pointless pedantry