Search similar:

uniqs

ampexperts
@att.net

1 recommendation

ampexperts

Anon

[WIN7] Fix for the Weather Gadget that Works

Around mid-January this year, the weather gadgets stopped updating on all of the PCs in our building. First symptom was that the temperature became a 'forecasted' range. Then a week later, 'unable to connect to service.'

I researched the problem on the internet. It seemed no one knew why and all sorts of speculation about MS killing the service due to security problems.

Then I found one post that was confirmed as a fix for the problem. The content of the post essentially stated that you need to open a XML file and simply re-save it:

C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live\Services\Cache\Config.xml

I tested it myself, and when I reopened the widget, it soon reappeared with the current temperature.

However, 2 days later, it went to forecasted temperatures again. I'd open, re-save and restart the widget and it'd work for another two days.

Then I thought about it.. what is happening when I open and re-write the file: I'm updating the modification date stamp on the file. It dawned on me that maybe MS has coded a cutoff date for the file in Windows and that after that date, the file is considered 'dead'.

To test that hypothesis, I used a date/time stamper utility to change the date to April of 2016. That was over a week ago. I am happy to report the widget has continued to display current temperature for the entire week, not just two days.

This fix seems to work as long as the file and folder exists. Not every Win 7 installation has this file/folder, as I discussed it with a friend who tried to fix it on his machine and he didn't even have the Windows Live folder. So it may not work for everyone, but perhaps it will help a few.

Cartel
Intel inside Your sensitive data outside
Premium Member
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC

Cartel

Premium Member

Its true the gadget might work but it still spams the internet looking for gadgets.live.com which is discontinued.

»gadgets.live.com/configW7.xml is the address it wants, and will keep trying to connect every 30 seconds 24/7.....unacceptable for me.

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua to ampexperts

Premium Member

to ampexperts
Yes, it's true Microsoft quit supporting any of the gadgets because of the security risks. You'd think they figured that out .

ampexperts
@att.net

ampexperts to Cartel

Anon

to Cartel
Would it make sense to edit that config.xml to remove the URL so it doesn't do that in the background?

msmisfit
join:2004-09-13
Atlanta, GA
ARRIS SB6121
Netgear WNDR3800

msmisfit to Boricua

to Boricua
The weather gadget that came on my Win7 laptop is still working. The only thing that happens to it, is when some MS updates are done, they apparently lock whatever makes it work. When that happens, I use the Task Manager to stop the Sidebar.exe; reboot, and the weather gadget works on startup. [It's the only gadget I'm using.]

I sure hope that will continue to work for me, because I like this weather gadget.

ampexperts
@att.net

ampexperts

Anon

The weather gadgets stopped working on all of our Win 7 computers about the middle of January this year. I don't know what factors determine this date. But I can say with certainty that the time stamp on that config file is the key to making it work again.

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy to Cartel

MVM

to Cartel
Wouldn't adding gadgets.live.com to your host file fix that issue?

ampexperts
@att.net

ampexperts

Anon

said by Kilroy:

Good suggestion. That should cut down on bandwidth use just a tad.

msmisfit
join:2004-09-13
Atlanta, GA
ARRIS SB6121
Netgear WNDR3800

msmisfit to Cartel

to Cartel
said by Cartel:

Its true the gadget might work but it still spams the internet looking for gadgets.live.com which is discontinued.

»gadgets.live.com/configW7.xml is the address it wants, and will keep trying to connect every 30 seconds 24/7.....unacceptable for me.

I am so glad I stumbled on this thread, because since I got this laptop 3 yrs. ago, something was making my internet light flash constantly ... i.e. apparently every 30 seconds or so, and that must have been it! I read everywhere trying to find a way to identify what it was, and was never successful.

HOWEVER, after this last batch of MS updates [during which Gadgets were locked afterwards], that constant flashing has STOPPED. I would really like to know for sure, if that was it, but I'm not sure reviewing those updates will tell ME anything.

Anyway, I just wanted to throw this out there, to see if any of you think MS has changed the gadget coding to correct that? BTW, my weather gadget is still working, and whatever they have changed, it's wonderful not to have that constant blinking.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

2 recommendations

Dustyn to ampexperts

Premium Member

to ampexperts
Click for full size
There are also many wonderful gadget sources out there other than Microsoft.
Many that are still under active development by 3rd party authors.
You just have to be careful where you are obtaining these gadgets from, and make sure you trust the author of that gadget. Here are the ones I use and love.

ampexperts
@att.net

ampexperts

Anon

True. When I researched the reason why mine stopped updating, I found out about major security problems. I only use the temperature gadget because it works better than the battery powered remote thermometers, which seem to die when the temp gets below 0, as it did much of February here. I have an old Radio Shack wired thermometer, but it went wacky on me last year, so I don't trust it's readings. The weather gadget has been handy and generally reliable.

Jackorama
I Am Woman
Premium Member
join:2008-05-23
Kingston, ON

Jackorama to ampexperts

Premium Member

to ampexperts
My weather gadget did the same thing around the same time on my win7. What I did was install The Weather Network App for PC. Shows the temp. on my task bar and when I click it, it opens a box with more detailed weather reports, etc. just like you get on the website.

»www.theweathernetwork.co ··· er-apps/

ampexperts
@att.net

ampexperts

Anon

I'm not big on adding a lot of stuff and bloating the already huge registry. Just having the temp and the info in Weather Gadget is good enough for my needs. I use the PC for critical realtime applications, so trying to keep it lean and with a minimum of software that's not directly part of my application suite.
MikeCox
join:2014-06-14
East Bumble

MikeCox to ampexperts

to ampexperts
This is the official Weather Underground weather gadget with some neat features. It still works, but I don't think they are supporting it going forward.

»wxex.wunderground.com/do ··· ista.asp

KA0OUV
Premium Member
join:2010-02-17
Jefferson City, MO

KA0OUV to ampexperts

Premium Member

to ampexperts
There is a separate thread running elsewhere on here. Similar problems in a Vista machine.

»[Vista] Weather gadget not updating..

Since they both cover the same turf, I wanted to cross post here for posterity.

Not sure how much longer the gadget backend database will be there, but below is what I went through to get things working the second time around on a Win7 x64 machine.

KA0OUV [Tim]

----------------------------------Insert Snipped text here----------------------------------
Had the problem crop up again. Deleted the gadget, then when I re-added it, it was stuck on New York, NY. Could not change to location I wanted.

Ended up following this:

»www.sevenforums.com/gadg ··· t3039821

and referenced this page for my correct location code...

»weather.codes/united-sta ··· issouri/
(Select your state instead of mine for best results.)

It brought the weather gadget back to life.
Don't know how long it will keep working, but that is where it stands for now.

----------------------------End of snipped text----------------------------

Cartel
Premium Member
Chilliwack, BC

3 recommendations

Cartel to ampexperts

Premium Member

to ampexperts
This works but you dont need a time stamper.
Change it to 2020 just to be safe.

To fix the Weather Gadget, all you have to do is go to:

C:\Users\YourOwnWindowsName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live\Services\Cache

Now change the Date on your computer to be 2017.

Open ( >>Rightclick > Edit ) ( Or use Notepad ) and RE-save the config.xml file.
Exit the program you used to RE-save it.

Now Rightclick config.xml and chose Properties, check READ-ONLY, click OK.

Look to see that the Date on the config.xml now is set to the year 2017.

Set the Computers Date back to todays date.

»answers.microsoft.com/en ··· ?page=28
Cartel

Cartel to Kilroy

Premium Member

to Kilroy
said by Kilroy:

Yes that did work, thanks

scuttlebutt
@optonline.net

scuttlebutt

Anon

I would like to fix my weather gadget using the host file.
Could some one tell me how?

Thanks in advance

ampexperts
@att.net

ampexperts to Cartel

Anon

to Cartel
Won't messing with the system date trigger Windows activation?

Cartel
Premium Member
Chilliwack, BC

Cartel

Premium Member

said by ampexperts :

Won't messing with the system date trigger Windows activation?

Not in the 30 seconds it takes to open the file in notepad and save it to the desktop and change the time back, nope.

ampexperts
@att.net

ampexperts

Anon

Clever trick. BTW, why the 'read only' attribute? I didn't do that, but have had no further problems since advancing the date stamp.

Cartel
Premium Member
Chilliwack, BC

Cartel

Premium Member

BECAUSE WINDOWS WILL ALTER IT

Make it read only....capslock sorry
IsaacTheo
join:2015-07-04
netherlands

1 edit

IsaacTheo

Hi guys - I am a pensioned computer geek from The Hague, The Netherlands and Google found your precious postings - very instructive. I will soon try them out.

But before I do - I am wondering about Weather and Currency functionality.

On my Vista SP2 machines ONLY Weather does not function: it is frozen on displaying Amsterdam, 10 degrees C (it's currently 32 degrees C). When attempting to change location setting it says: Service not available. CUrrency works fine.

On my W7 SP1 machines NEITHER Weather nor Currency do function: Cannot connect to server

On my W8/W8.1/W8.1update machines ONLY Currency functions fine. Weather only displays: i Cannot connect to service. Location change: frozen on Amsterdam: Search - cannot connect to service.

What is the logic behind this differing behaviour? Some driver?
Weather seems to be dead server-sided.
In fact their behaviour on Vista and W8 seems similarly handicapped.
Can anyone explain?

Curious,

IsaacTheo

PS Have been using alternatively MyWeather by a German pbrall@live.de/Pat Possible (according to PayPal); works fine on all machines/OS's; looks three days ahead in Full size, minimized/today equal size to Weather.

echtepino
@xs4all.nl

echtepino to ampexperts

Anon

to ampexperts
SUPERB!!

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC

1 recommendation

MacGyver to ampexperts

to ampexperts
said by ampexperts :

...battery powered remote thermometers, which seem to die when the temp gets below 0...

Use lithium AA or AAA batteries; they aren't affected by the cold.
Glen T
join:2003-11-03
BC

Glen T

I found the fix. Deleted the MS weather gadget and replaced with the Weather Underground gadget. Works great. More info than the MS gadget.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

Robotics

Premium Member

said by Glen T:

I found the fix. Deleted the MS weather gadget and replaced with the Weather Underground gadget. Works great. More info than the MS gadget.

I was wondering why no one was suggesting this gadget. I been using it for a long time, and it works great, and better than what the stock one was.
Believe I mentioned this near the beginning of this thread too.
OOPS must be on another thread, wasn't this one after all.

Cartel
Premium Member
Chilliwack, BC

4 edits

1 recommendation

Cartel to ampexperts

Premium Member

to ampexperts

UGLY

NICE

UGLY

NICE
Config.zip
941 bytes
MSNWeather.G···dget.zip
1,385,527 bytes

Here is the msn gadget that works...If you hate the dark "bar" in the middle like I do, I edited this one with a nicer transparent bar.
I also tweaked the font colors for the days-temps to be more readable.

Also the config file if you don't have it.
It goes in %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live\Services\ Cache

On another note if anyone wants to use the REAL weather gadget and cant get the location set, just use your zip-postal code.
90210 is the only US one I know but it worked!
Seems city names wont work anymore.

Cartel

3 edits

Cartel to ampexperts

Premium Member

to ampexperts
Now does anyone know how to kill the requests for configW7.xml?
Every 60 seconds doing this 24/7 is too much.

EDIT**
Seems after entering my postal code into the OEM W7 weather gadget, the requests for configW7.xml have ceased!
Cartel

Cartel to ampexperts

Premium Member

to ampexperts
Vista 64bit Gadget just in case...