IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Cable could compete

Cable could compete if they got rid of advertising.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena

Premium Member

said by IowaCowboy:

That's not up to the cable companies though. And actually without commercials, a TV station probably would have to charge triple of what it is charging now. They aren't getting government funding through the public paying TV licenses such as in the UK. (which is around $130 a year in dollars).

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Look at Netflix, $7.99 a month no ads vs $130 a month for cable and 55 minutes each hour of ads. If they look at their books and contain costs then they can get rid of advertising or at least cut back on advertising (two minutes of commercials each half hour between programs) and still make a profit. But some high cost networks may still need commercials like ESPN. But I think through carriage disputes I think cablesatcos could push it as a premium or sports tier channel.
AmericanMan
Premium Member
join:2013-12-28
united state

AmericanMan to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
Expect to see more in-show sponsored advertising then

CosmicDebri
Still looking for intelligent life
join:2001-09-01
Lake City, FL

CosmicDebri

Unfortunately true. Plus they've been sneaking in commercials with the people on the show doing the advertising. That fish tank show comes to mind, the fat bald guy and the skinny bald guy, Wade and Brett, they come back from a commercial, then those guys talk about how cool their car rental was for 10 seconds, then back to more commercials before getting back to the show. It's the illusion of you just got back to the content, but the 'content' was an ad break.....

That's why I rarely watch anything on tv, I 'time shift' mostly by recording shows after they aired, and either fast forward if there are still commercials, but mostly they were already removed....
smk11
join:2014-11-12

smk11 to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

Cable was originally commercial free but the money was too great for that to last.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to AmericanMan

Premium Member

to AmericanMan
said by AmericanMan:

Expect to see more in-show sponsored advertising then

That's been happening for years. Ever since the DVR came around TV networks have been trying to either provide advertising within the show, or try to hook you into watching commercials anyways (e.g. have a 1 minute show-related interview in the middle or a "cut scene" or "blooper" etc so you watch the commercials to see that).

It's pretty obvious that Starbucks sponsors The Voice for instance.

One of the ONLY shows I watch from TLC is "Who do you think you are", and obviously (considering the subject matter) ancestry.com advertisements are all over the show.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Or Bar Rescue where they need to find a contractor on Angie's List.