RobThompson
Caution - VoIP Challenged Alert
Premium Member
join:2012-02-14
J8G 0C9

1 recommendation

RobThompson

Premium Member

Alarm systems through voip - are some VSP's better than others?

Hello:
The only thing preventing me from trashing my Bell Canada line ($40/mo.) at our cottage is my ADT alarm system. I use voip on a Yealink for calls.

So, are all VSP's the same with respect to alarm systems?

Thanks,
fparker
join:2008-04-28
Scarborough, ON

fparker

Do you have cell phone coverage there? We switched to cell 'backup' (it's not really backup, since it's now the primary link to the monitoring station, but that's what people call it) when we ditched landline. It will cost ~ $300, but the money will be recouped after 8-9 months with the cost savings of switching to voip.

It's actually more secure than using Bell line, since it can't be cut. Another tactic people are doing prior to breaking in to homes, is plugging in an extension cord to one of your outdoor outlets and then applying the bare wires to your outside Bell Box. If your alarm panel is connected to the Bell PSTN, the panel will be fried, thus killing your alarm. That isn't a problem with cell 'backup'.

RobThompson
Caution - VoIP Challenged Alert
Premium Member
join:2012-02-14
J8G 0C9

RobThompson

Premium Member

said by fparker:

Do you have cell phone coverage there?

Nope.

I wish we did. Your idea is the [best].

We only have LOC wifi internet from Groupe-Acces: about 400kbps upload.
fparker
join:2008-04-28
Scarborough, ON

fparker

there are some monitoring companies that will monitor via internet, such as »monitoringcentre.com/pro ··· honeLine
DaveSin
join:2009-07-17

DaveSin to RobThompson

to RobThompson
You could try an IP Monitoring solution, depending on the type and model number of your Alarm Panel. Frankly, PSTN-only Monitoring is fairly useless for burglary protection since it is so easy to defeat (just cut the line). IP solution can also be defeated by cutting either the phone line or the cable.

From a Burglary standpoint, alarms are not that effective these days, as Burglars are not even that concern about an Alarm System going off or Central Station be contacted. They know that they can get in and out under five minutes and long gone before the Police even show up. With so many false alarms, most Police Department will not response under 15-30 minutes, as these calls are low priority calls. They do care if someone is inside the house and that is why they will always knock at your front door (to determine if someone is home - don't want to get shot) before gaining entry.
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

Stewart to RobThompson

to RobThompson
See my comments in this thread: »Is Voipo.com compatible with a Brinks alarms system
Expand your moderator at work

arpawocky
Premium Member
join:2014-04-13
Columbus, OH

arpawocky to RobThompson

Premium Member

to RobThompson

Re: Alarm systems through voip - are some VSP's better than others?

I'd recommend VoIP2Go.net for your alarm system. They specialize in connecting alarms to voip.

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim to RobThompson

Premium Member

to RobThompson
I have an Honeywell Ademco system with a phone line dialer. It has been calling Alarm Relay using a Linksys PAP2T to Voip.ms . So far it has been 100% successful over the past 18 months on the weekly test and arm/disarm events.

If you have access to the installer code, another option would be to put in an EyezOn Envisalink 3 module for about $100. This is an IP communicator module that can be monitored by most alarm companies. I put one in a few months ago and am using it to directly notify me of events. I have not linked it to my monitoring company.