Search similar:

uniqs
JMJimmy
join:2008-07-23

2 edits

JMJimmy to nekkidtruth

to nekkidtruth

Re: [forward]Canada Needs Definition of Affordable Communications

The NAO report "Infrastructure investment: the impact on consumer bills" is not part of PIAC, it was a UK government report by the Comptroller & Auditor General on the cost of various services over a decade. The report about 2 years old now, however, it was based on the Living Costs and Food Survey of 2011 (it can be equated to StatsCan data). It showed that from 2002 to 2011 telecom prices in the UK dropped by 2% over that period (adjusted). Adjusted for all the factors, they put the total average spend at CDN$107.59/month. The CRTCs comparable study put that cost at $191 for Canadians. The UK did one better and looked at it based on income level which they put at 3.1%, a similar Canadian study I found on Slashdot recently put ours at 7.8%. Minimum wage UK earners that translates to $60.54 (very close to the $62 number you came up with) vs Canadian minimum wage earners it's $148.72.

This is the actual spend, not what's possible. That's why I included what I've been able to find as the cheapest price for a realistic bare bones service (100mins/m or more, no extras, no data, no long distance plan, etc) and TSI Lite DSL 7/1 (their cheapest package) which is $27.99 - this might be improved upon slightly but I figured it was reasonable enough for comparison.

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium Member
join:2002-05-20
London, ON
Netgear R7000
Asus RT-N66
Hitron CODA-4582

nekkidtruth

Premium Member

I fail to see what this has to do with the current discussion of CANADIANS not being on par and YOUR alleged inability to get a good deal.

I've shown you the real world prices. I didn't just make them up. PIAC is the one putting forth this information because they are comparing to the UK. That's fine. I'm just saying it's a little fluffy on our side because our prices actually aren't too far off.

We both want the same thing here. Lower prices. I just think what you were asking for was unreasonable and people need to compare real numbers.
JMJimmy

JMJimmy

said by nekkidtruth:

I fail to see what this has to do with the current discussion of CANADIANS not being on par and YOUR alleged inability to get a good deal.

Please re-read the edit... I was typing and hit something that accidentally posted it before I was done typing. It has nothing to do with what I actually pay.
LastDon
join:2002-08-13

LastDon to jacketfeng

to jacketfeng
Germany: telekom.de
Internet:
Flat 50 Mbit / 10 Mbit up + telephone 34.95euro
(In all prices include: 2 lines, 3 numbers,)

add IPTV: 9.95 euro 100 plus stations
or add satellite for 14.95 euro

taxes included . i would say this is a great deal.

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium Member
London, ON
Netgear R7000
Asus RT-N66
Hitron CODA-4582

nekkidtruth to JMJimmy

Premium Member

to JMJimmy
said by JMJimmy:

Please re-read the edit... I was typing and hit something that accidentally posted it before I was done typing. It has nothing to do with what I actually pay.

I understand the report and how it works and where the information is coming from. What I don't understand is your logic. This entire back and forth started because you claimed you wanted 2 cell phone lines (which btw are inherently more expensive than land lines which is more in line with the report/study) and home Internet for cheaper than the $88 you used to be able to find it for.

I'm just pointing out how silly that is and the fact that you're whining while on the lower end of this report because you're already seeking out the lowest possible prices.

I just showed that the prices you're finding go just fine when compared to the current UK prices. So the PIAC are using old information that might not even be relevant today. Guess what that is? Fluff.
JMJimmy

1 recommendation

JMJimmy

My point was that the average actual spend on telecommunications needs to come down by half and that the definition of affordable should be around 3% of a full time minimum wage income. The reports I'm referencing (not PIAC) did not distinguish between landlines/cellphone/speeds of internet, just the average total $ spent on telecommunications.

I also took you at your word about UK pricing. Upon looking it up for myself, I find you're not accurate at all.

O2: £8.00, 100 minutes+100Mb data+unlimited texting
Primus: $30, 100 minutes+no data+unlimited texting

Internet: £16.70 for up to 16Mbps Edit: this includes the line fee
Teksavvy: $27.99 for up to 7Mbps Edit: this excludes the line fee

Re-doing the calculations:
£16.70+£8.00+£8.00(includes tax), converted to Canadian = $60.90
$27.99+$30+$30+tax = $99.43

As a realistic minimum we're paying almost $40 more to get less and, at least for Ontario, we make comparable minimum wages ($11 in Ontario vs ~CDN$11.25 UK). Based on the actual spend we need to come down by half compared to many EU countries. ie: not only does the cheapest of the cheap need to come down but so do the intermediate packages that meet the majority of Canadians needs.

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium Member
London, ON
Netgear R7000
Asus RT-N66
Hitron CODA-4582

1 edit

nekkidtruth

Premium Member

I have no issues with being corrected on pricing. Feel free to link to where those prices were. The cheapest monthly fee I found on O2 was £15/month Edit: I found it.

I don't disagree there's a big difference between $60 and $100. No one would logically be able to argue against that. I never disagreed that prices are high and need to come down. Ever.

FTTHTechie
@start.ca

FTTHTechie to jacketfeng

Anon

to jacketfeng
Did anyone see Industry Canada's Digital 150 Plan that calls for Canadians to have access to 5Mbps service? Whike America has a broadband plan for 100/100 Canada only plans for the early 2000s years. It just doesn't make any sense.