All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
MikeInFL
join:2010-06-04
Jacksonville, FL

MikeInFL

ATA sales rep said there are no taxes and fees, must use their modem. True?

ATA sales rep said there are no taxes and fees, must use their modem. True?

I just want internet. I want to check ATT rates so I went to att.com and found ph# to call for new service. Sales rep said "Max 12" (12mb) service is regularly $57, but special is $39.95. Thus add $7/m for a total of $46.95/mo, 1 yr contract.

Ok so far, then I asked what are the fees and taxes? He said there are none! I asked if I could buy my own modem. He said no, must lease their modem.

QUESTION 1: Are there really no fees and taxes on the bill? If I order online for 18mb service special I found this:
"Promo pricing applies to service rates only; excludes taxes, equip. fees, up to $99 installation and other charges"

QUESTION 2: You must use their modem?

QUESTION 3: if price is same, should I pick DSL or u-verse?

thanks

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

fees and taxes on INTERNET only depends on your state! (TN has no tax on internet only service).

H O W E V E R . . . . There IS state and county sales tax on the modem rental/lease!
65 cents here.

Typical DSL is being retired. But then again depending on area.

I ended up with IPDSLAM (ADSL2+) (which the tech referred to as DSL on steroids)...
3mbps was the max.
MikeInFL
Jacksonville, FL

MikeInFL

thanks

iRob
join:2014-08-19
Mckinney, TX
MikroTik RB3011 UiAS-RM
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
ARRIS SB6183

1 edit

1 recommendation

iRob to MikeInFL

to MikeInFL
Like compuguybna said, taxes and fees depend on state.
You HAVE to use their modem, they are enforcing everyone to rent/lease the modem (for U-Verse)
I doubt you could still pick DSL, as it's being phased out and U-Verse is becoming the only thing you could order. Plus with DSL, you couldn't get 12Mbps, only a max of 6Mbps with DSL. (By DSL, I'm reffering to legacy DSL and not the ADSL and VDSL that U-Verse uses)

Milwaukee PT to MikeInFL

Anon

to MikeInFL
There is a $99 installation fee on a Full Tech Install (FTI) compared to a Customer Self Install (CSI).

Under certain conditions you must have a FTI, other conditions can have option.
FTI order over 12M internet, need a bonded install due to long loop or have RARE Fiber to the Premise (home).
Schedule in two hour appointment time frames such as 9-11, 11-1 or 1-3 Monday-Saturday... requires access to residence someone over 18 years, new cat5 from NID to RG, RG comes off techs truck.

CSI 12 or under single pair with known working service. Schedule 8-8, tech only verifies service to NID... you take care of all inside wiring jacks, RG shipped to you, you plug and register service. If any issues completing the install requiring a second tech visit will be billed the $99 same as a FTI. This requires a 4 hour appointment window available 7 days a week.
96964493 (banned)
join:2015-01-09
USA

96964493 (banned) to MikeInFL

to MikeInFL
Taxes on the modem, yes and you will have the USF tax- thank the FCC for that

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 recommendation

NormanS

MVM

Really! Whom do you work for, again? USF on my bill is itemized as a "voice" component, not a "data" component. Which means it only applies for telephone service, not for Internet.

And the authority to manage the USF was granted to the FCC by the U.S. Congress in the 1996 Telecommunications Act. So you should blame the U.S. Congress, not the FCC.

Silly boy!
MikeInFL
Jacksonville, FL

MikeInFL to iRob

to iRob
said by iRob:

You HAVE to use their modem, they are enforcing everyone to rent/lease the modem (for U-Verse)
I doubt you could still pick DSL, as it's being phased out and U-Verse is becoming the only thing you could order. Plus with DSL, you couldn't get 12Mbps, only a max of 6Mbps with DSL. (By DSL, I'm reffering to legacy DSL and not the ADSL and VDSL that U-Verse uses)

I read a blog somewhere from 2013 that you can buy their modem, and if it ever fails, you they don't fix them. Still true?
MikeInFL

MikeInFL

Also, the ATT rep told me on phone that I may find and get a better starter rate ONLY if I order online, but can not if I order on phone. Is this true?

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

Probably. . . Discounts are more prevalent online, and we all as more discounts for bundling...
For example, DSL discount was $17.05 a month discount.....
BUT if you added phone, it was an additional $15 off internet, and $5 off phone.

So, it was only about $5 more to add phone (voip).....>But beaware of AT&T and their taxes and fees. be prepared to add 10-11 more in taxes.....So, there goes your discounts just because you added phone.

I did my order over the telephone, and they gave me the same discounts as I would have gotten online, and I got a quicker appointment for install.
said by MikeInFL:

Also, the ATT rep told me on phone that I may find and get a better starter rate ONLY if I order online, but can not if I order on phone. Is this true?

compuguybna

compuguybna to MikeInFL

to MikeInFL
DSLEXTREME.COM lets you buy the modem for $100 or lease it for $6.50. After one year, its your issue if something goes astray. If you lease it, they replace it.

AT&T charges $7 a month, you cant buy it (uverse gateway).

iRob
join:2014-08-19
Mckinney, TX
MikroTik RB3011 UiAS-RM
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
ARRIS SB6183

1 edit

iRob to MikeInFL

to MikeInFL
There's very select modems you can buy for U-Verse, but I believe in some threads from the beginning of the year, people still had a fee every month when they we're using their own modems, which I'll go dig for those threads later. I remember the only modem's people could sort of buy we're the motorola 2310(or 5031, can't recall) for VDSL and the NVG510 for ADSL. I think the NVG510 is still being sold on the at&t website, but a person might still get charged monthly for a rental fee. This is as far as it goes for U-Verse Internet, for legacy DSL, different rules might apply.
EDIT: Heres two threads that sort of talk about this.
»Do You Own A UVerse RG If On A Self Install?
»New AT&T Terms of Service

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U to compuguybna

Premium Member

to compuguybna
said by compuguybna:

DSLEXTREME.COM lets you buy the modem for $100 or lease it for $6.50. After one year, its your issue if something goes astray. If you lease it, they replace it.

AT&T charges $7 a month, you cant buy it (uverse gateway).

»[trueSTREAM] What kind of router is needed for trueSTREAM

dslx_nick points out that even trueSTREAM Internet from DSLX also uses the Leased modems, not purchased, according to the post over in the DSLX forum